No announcement yet.

Alligator Gar Questions

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I think it means you can’t bowfish at night for gar over 48”.

Comment

Also, anyone here bowfished Falcon Lake? Their generous limits have me thinking it might be a better choice.

Comment

I've never fished Falcon, but know folks who have and it has some bigguns in it! So does Choke Canyon... That may be closer for you... so does Amistad, but not sure about regs on Amistad... I'd think they were similar or same as Falcon, but can't say for sure... When we had our deer lease out there just south of the dam, I always wanted to go bowfish it... I've seen some monster gar and carp come out of it from locals there in Del Rio... I've also shot some monster carp in the river below the dam...

Comment

Originally posted by donpablo View Post
          I don’t see anything about 24 hrs. I just see “daily bag limit.” Wouldn’t that mean you could shoot one at 11pm and one at 1am? Also, the way I read those regs (from TPWD’s website), can’t you bowfish that part of the trinity for alligator gar during the day?
          They would have to be less than 4ft. No catch and release we with a bow either.

Comment

Could be they backed off the one in 24 hours thing, but it was that way for a while... I'd recommend if you want to get a big gar, get it soon as CCA and the commission lifers would really like to ban bowfishing for gator gar... If you go back and read the minutes from Commission meetings from a few years ago, it got real close to passing...

Comment

Originally posted by SaltwaterSlick View Post
              Could be they backed off the one in 24 hours thing, but it was that way for a while... I'd recommend if you want to get a big gar, get it soon as CCA and the commission lifers would really like to ban bowfishing for gator gar... If you go back and read the minutes from Commission meetings from a few years ago, it got real close to passing...
              I remember. I sure wish they would make the commissioner back up any changes with scientific evidence. That way maybe they would stop tossing all their research findings in the garbage. Any idea if mid April would be any better than mid May or is it too soon to tell?

Comment

Hotter the better for shooting with bow. I’ve caught them spawning in April and may.

Comment

I always liked August, but if you're after a big one, earlier is better so you can get a big one before she spawns out... A 7 footer will lose 25-30 pounds during the spawn if you're interested in weight... Mine was spawned out , but the mount still turned out good as she still had her girth...

Comment

Trip's coming up. Any tips for a couple newbies? Is it hard to get a biggun into the boat?

Comment

Trip's coming up. Any tips for a couple newbies? Is it hard to get a biggun into the boat?
                      Where did you decide to go? It is extremely hard to boat a big gar. Get you a rubber coated dog tie out cable. The 15 ft is perfect. Cut it right in the middle and makes two gar hoops. Snap it around the gar at the gills and pull tight forward . It will catch in the gills and then two of you can drag her in.

Comment

Originally posted by GarGuy View Post
                        Where did you decide to go? It is extremely hard to boat a big gar. Get you a rubber coated dog tie out cable. The 15 ft is perfect. Cut it right in the middle and makes two gar hoops. Snap it around the gar at the gills and pull tight forward . It will catch in the gills and then two of you can drag her in.
                        We finally decided to try Falcon. I think I can picture what you’re suggesting but any actual pics in case the confidence in my visualization is misplaced?

Comment

Are the creeks off of the Trinity river still Trinity River?

Comment

We finally decided to try Falcon. I think I can picture what you’re suggesting but any actual pics in case the confidence in my visualization is misplaced?
                            Take a cooler with ice for the tilapia. I seen some big ones on that lake.

Comment

Comment

Originally posted by elliscountyhog View Post
                                Take a cooler with ice for the tilapia. I seen some big ones on that lake.
                                Nice! That’ll be a sweet bonus!

Thanks, Oscar! That’s what I was thinking.

Comment

Working...
                                X