Plant Operator Advice

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Plant Operator Advice

I will be starting my new job as an operator at a chemical plant in Channelview next week. Any advice yall can offer me for a person who is transitioning from working as a chief engineer offshore to a new hire operator? What can I do to make myself an asset and not a burden to others? I know first impressions mean a lot and I want to make a good impression.

Listen to what the experienced operators tell you, don't interrupt or act like you already know or have heard it before. Ask questions, don't assume something.

Stay off your phone and out of the control room unless you are training on something in there.

If something is going on in another area go help, even if you aren't training or trained in that area.

Help keep the control room clean and make your you clean up after yourself, don't leave dishes out or in the sink, if the trash can is close to being full take it out and put a new bag in.

Don't brown nose or be a story topper or know someone that has done it bigger and better.

Good luck, there may be a little hazing but take it in stride, they were all in your shoes when they started.

Comment

Originally posted by Mofo View Post
      Listen to what the experienced operators tell you, don't interrupt or act like you already know or have heard it before. Ask questions, don't assume something.

Stay off your phone and out of the control room unless you are training on something in there.

If something is going on in another area go help, even if you aren't training or trained in that area.

Help keep the control room clean and make your you clean up after yourself, don't leave dishes out or in the sink, if the trash can is close to being full take it out and put a new bag in.

Don't brown nose or be a story topper or know someone that has done it bigger and better.

Good luck, there may be a little hazing but take it in stride, they were all in your shoes when they started.
      Great advice here, good luck with your new career and being home each day.

Comment

Originally posted by Mofo View Post

Spot on!

Comment

Originally posted by LlanoHunter10 View Post
          I will be starting my new job as an operator at a chemical plant in Channelview next week. Any advice yall can offer me for a person who is transitioning from working as a chief engineer offshore to a new hire operator? What can I do to make myself an asset and not a burden to others? I know first impressions mean a lot and I want to make a good impression.
          I'll add one more to the list of several things we've discussed but always know which way the wind is blowing. Make a habit of looking at the steam rolling out of a stack or a wind sock you walk by on your way to the way to the unit.

Comment

Study P&IDs. Learn your pipe and flows. Learn about the how and what and why. Know the place inside out. DONT BE LAZY.

Probably don’t tell em you were an engineer

If you want to be the best it takes effort and dedication.

Take any training schools they offer. Study online. There’s a lot of material for distillation columns, heaters, boilers, amine systems, etc. Idk your specific plant but there will be plenty of literature about it. Use it. Know it.

Never completely trust your instrumentation. Don’t rely on that computer. Verify levels, temps, pressures locally when available. When trouble shooting keep it stupid simple.

9/10 operators aren’t good at it. They just keep it between the ditches. Be good enough to handle any situation and remain calm and you’ll go far.

Team work is important. One man can’t run the facility by himself. Work together. Learn together. Succeed together.

I love my job and what I do. It’s a solid career. You’ll make great money and should have plenty of time off. Congrats on the new job and enjoy it!
            Last edited by trophy8; 05-11-2021, 05:52 AM.

Comment

Operators are an easy bunch, just bring some breakfast tacos on occasion and you’ll be golden.

Comment

Open ears, close mouth, and no one cares how you did it where you worked before. Other than that. Best of luck!

Comment

Originally posted by trophy8 View Post
                  Study P&IDs. Learn your pipe and flows. Learn about the how and what and why. Know the place inside out. DONT BE LAZY.

Take any training schools they offer. Study online. There’s a lot of material for distillation columns, heaters, boilers, amine systems, etc. Idk your specific plant but there will be plenty of literature about it. Use it. Know it.

9/10 operators aren’t good at it. They just keep it between the ditches. Be good enough to handle any situation and remain calm and you’ll go far.

Team work is important. One man can’t run the facility by himself. Work together. Learn together. Succeed together.

I love my job and what I do. It’s a solid career. You’ll make great money and should have plenty of time off. Congrats on the new job and enjoy it!
                  Great advice Trophy. I agree with you on allot of the operators take so much for granted in this field. When things go wrong it happens very quickly. Know your processes and procedures, you will not regret it in the long run. The plants are dangerous and don’t take things for granted. They pay well for that very reason. You can earn a very good living at these professions for you and your family. I spent almost 36 years (34 in one company). Retired in my mid 50s. Good luck at your new endeavors.

Comment

Great thread with very good advice already. Try to know it it all but never feel/act like you do.
                    Last edited by Jcjohnson; 05-11-2021, 06:50 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by trophy8 View Post

Never completely trust your instrumentation. Don’t rely on that computer. Verify levels, temps, pressures locally when available. When trouble shooting keep it stupid simple.

You sir, sound like a great asset. To whom ever you work for.
                      Last edited by Jcjohnson; 05-11-2021, 06:11 AM.

Comment

A lot of good advice above. Learn everything you can about your plant even if it's not in your job description. Don't be the guy who just wants to get a check.

Comment

I've shared this with the OP through PM but I figured I'd share it here as well. It might help someone.
                          -God gave you 2 ears and 1 mouth. Do more listening than talking.
                          -No one cares how you used to do it at your last job. So keep those stories to a minimum.
                          -During your training if an operator gets up to go do somethings make sure you're in his back pocket.
                          -Get in good with the Old hands. Retain their knowledge, it's worth more than and procedure out there.
                          -Never stand there and let anyone open or close a long winded valve without your help.
                          -Utilize your downtime while training. Walk the unit, read a procedure, roll up hoses, etc etc.
                          -You'll see a lot of people sleeping but make sure you don't start sleeping or playing on your phone for at least the first year and/or until your qualified on a job.
                          I could go on and on.
                          But it's like I was told 13 years ago when I got in the industry.
                          "You can be a dumb but hardworking operator or a smart but lazy operator but you can't be dumb and lazy."
                          Last edited by Hammerdown; 05-11-2021, 06:13 AM.

Comment

Great stuff above...and maybe i missed it..BE On TIME even a little early...Nobody likes a chronic late relief...Sure everybody has a late day now and then with good reason and everyone understand ...Best of Luck its a great life...they like DONUTS too!!!!!!

Comment

Sounds like food is a big deal and clean up after everyone. Good luck with your new job

Sent from my SM-N986U using Tapatalk

Comment

Working...
                              X