Pit boss smoker help

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Greylight318 View Post
    It shouldn't matter too much as long as you know the meat temp. You will learn the smoker as you cook on it
    Originally posted by Graysonhogs View Post
    Get a good set of probes and Ignore what the smoker is telling you.

This is a pellet smoker so the pit temp does matter.

Smoking at 190 is way different than 225. If the OP smoker is like mine can only adjust in 25-degree increments.

Comment

Yeah mines the vertical pellet smoker. It does not have a thermometer on the hood. Just a digital one on the side. I had a different temp gauge that was showing the pit to be at 190, when the built in digital gauge was showing 225. Like mmoses said mine also only goes up in 25 degree increments..

The probes were reading pretty close to same temperature throughout +/- 5 degrees. I pulled the meat at 190* wrapped in tin foil and resting in the cooler for an hour or 2. It took every bit of 18/19 hours to get it done.. my smoker pit that I have at the ranch usually take 10 +/- hours to cook on.
      Hopefully it’ll turn out good. Thanks for the help, I’m a newbie on the pellet smoker.

Comment

Good to know

Comment

Pit boss smoker help

Originally posted by mmoses View Post
          This is a pellet smoker so the pit temp does matter.

Smoking at 190 is way different than 225. If the OP smoker is like mine can only adjust in 25-degree increments.

I have a vertical pit boss and I go by what my good temp gages read for the food and pit temp. Couldn’t care less what the PB gage says Mine only adjusts in 25 increments as well. It’s a common problem with those units. I’ll stand by my initial assessment. [emoji6]
          Edit: also keep the temp probe at the back of the unit clean.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
          Last edited by Graysonhogs; 04-20-2021, 05:49 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by Laner7 View Post
            Yeah mines the vertical pellet smoker. It does not have a thermometer on the hood. Just a digital one on the side. I had a different temp gauge that was showing the pit to be at 190, when the built in digital gauge was showing 225. Like mmoses said mine also only goes up in 25 degree increments..

The probes were reading pretty close to same temperature throughout +/- 5 degrees. I pulled the meat at 190* wrapped in tin foil and resting in the cooler for an hour or 2. It took every bit of 18/19 hours to get it done.. my smoker pit that I have at the ranch usually take 10 +/- hours to cook on.

Hopefully it’ll turn out good. Thanks for the help, I’m a newbie on the pellet smoker.

Always pull at probe tender vs. IT.
            Every piece of meat is different. Enjoy the smoker.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Comment

There was another thread about this. Someone suggested buying a new probe from Amazon that is supposed to be more accurate. I bought one but have not installed it yet. Love my Pit Boss though.

Comment

Working...
              X