No more school time this year.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

No more school time this year.

Home schooling, on line learning, virtual learning will be the norm until schools reopen next August if they do then. Teachers will survive, but this is going to really hurt the kids, but I firmly believe that with only 3 weeks left in the school year, it could have been another outbreak of Covid19, possibly. I will miss seeing my kids again and all the teachers that made the last 3 years fun at my elementary. I am retiring so seeing my kids or the teachers again is out. Sort of a bummer and I absolutely hate the virtual stuff!

We’ve still got roughly six weeks left. My oldest is pretty self sufficient but my youngest seems to need help with EVERYTHING! Gonna be tough and I’m worried the kids will fall behind.

Comment

Originally posted by brysdad View Post
      We’ve still got roughly six weeks left. My oldest is pretty self sufficient but my youngest seems to need help with EVERYTHING! Gonna be tough and I’m worried the kids will fall behind.
      Exactly. the kids that were doing good will continue to do the online lessons and turn them in, the middle to low academic kids will suffer the most. Lots to do with parents working and not being able to help the kids or the kids just do not want to do anything. Two way street on this online learning and who is responsible for work getting done and turned in.

Comment

I can tell you its hard on the kids. What most folks may not understand is that in a lot of districts we have a very high rate of poverty and many kids come to school for a safe place. When they are home they have no food, no electricity, maybe no clean water. I am not talking a small percentage either. It is a significant number in a lot of districts. It is very hard to expect these kids to do schoolwork from home when they are literally fighting to survive on a daily basis.

I cant lie, It is also hard on us teachers (maybe not all, but certainly me and alot of my cohorts) I teach Ag and we still have scholarships, degrees and awards due. many have animals at school (I only have chickens to care for at this time) that they have to care for daily if students are not allowed on the property. We have had to cancel our end of the year banquets which for us at least is a very big deal. We as in all teachers now have to develop lessons in an online fashion and then spend hours upon hours documenting each and every thing we do and have paperwork for each and every kid, which for most of us high school teachers is 100 to 200 kids to do paperwork on daily.

I pray that August brings us back to normal and we are able to get back in the classrooms.

Comment

Originally posted by Javelin View Post
          I can tell you its hard on the kids. What most folks may not understand is that in a lot of districts we have a very high rate of poverty and many kids come to school for a safe place. When they are home they have no food, no electricity, maybe no clean water. I am not talking a small percentage either. It is a significant number in a lot of districts. It is very hard to expect these kids to do schoolwork from home when they are literally fighting to survive on a daily basis.

I cant lie, It is also hard on us teachers (maybe not all, but certainly me and alot of my cohorts) I teach Ag and we still have scholarships, degrees and awards due. many have animals at school (I only have chickens to care for at this time) that they have to care for daily if students are not allowed on the property. We have had to cancel our end of the year banquets which for us at least is a very big deal. We as in all teachers now have to develop lessons in an online fashion and then spend hours upon hours documenting each and every thing we do and have paperwork for each and every kid, which for most of us high school teachers is 100 to 200 kids to do paperwork on daily.

I pray that August brings us back to normal and we are able to get back in the classrooms.
          Agreed completely! The school I work at had a 92% economically disadvantaged in 2019 and was probably close to 100% this year. I had a kid at the Christmas break tell me he would much rather be in class than on the break. Now that is heart breaking!

Comment

One of my nephews called his principal and asked for a substitute teacher

Comment

Originally posted by Mudslinger View Post
              Home schooling, on line learning, virtual learning will be the norm until schools reopen next August if they do then. Teachers will survive, but this is going to really hurt the kids, but I firmly believe that with only 3 weeks left in the school year, it could have been another outbreak of Covid19, possibly. I will miss seeing my kids again and all the teachers that made the last 3 years fun at my elementary. I am retiring so seeing my kids or the teachers again is out. Sort of a bummer and I absolutely hate the virtual stuff!
              3 weeks left? When do yall get out? We have 6 weeks left.

Comment

Yeah I see a couple of tougher years ahead in education.

Gary

Comment

Its tough on everyone. I have one in 8th and one in 5th. Both will be going to new schools next year. But it could be worse. I really feel bad for all the seniors. No sports, no graduation. I feel bad for teachers like OP that are retiring. Lots ok students and staff missing out on things. This whole situation sucks.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Ya’ll teachers deserve to be paid 3x that you do. My oldest is easy but my 2nd grader it is like pulling teeth. Both my wife and I are working even longer hours since the closing and it very tough to teach and work

Comment

My wife cried this morning She misses her kinders. She FaceTimes them weekly.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by COACH_EM_UP View Post
                        3 weeks left? When do yall get out? We have 6 weeks left.
                        We get out on May 22, 3 weeks left in the school year if we went back after May 4th. sorry for the confusion.

Comment

Originally posted by Mudslinger View Post
                          We get out on May 22, 3 weeks left in the school year if we went back after May 4th. sorry for the confusion.
                          Gotcha. That is when we get out too. It kills me for our kids, our seniors, and my own kids too. We just sold our house today and they won't get to see their friends in person after we leave. So many kids missing out on so many things. It is terrible and times like these make me thankful that I chose this profession. It is so hard not to be around my students and athletes. I truly miss them and miss being in the school, hallways, field house, teachers lounge, etc.

I coach football and baseball, but our track team had a legitimate shot at the 3A team title, 4x100, 4x200, and 4x400 relays, as well as some individual titles. Now moving up to 4A, those kids won't get to experience that

Comment

It was a sad day here at our house. We live for baseball, our senior is a 4 year varsity player and this was the year to win it all, at least have a better than most shot at the state title in 4A. First half team of the year in the state, 15-0-1 record as district was to start and District top spot was a given. 4 D1 players moving on and 11 seniors on the team. It was going to be a great ride but that's over. The seniors snuck on the field today and took infield and outfield one last time and then filmed a mock game winning strikeout to win the state title. It was sad. I have never heard my son's voice crack until today, he was upset. No senior night, no more HS ball and maybe no college ball pending on the craziness with the college changes to recruiting, rosters and scholarships.

The wife is a teacher and she is upset as well. Cancelled an Astros National Anthem, A Rockets, National Anthem and a HS Disney performance trip in late May, can't see her seniors again and so much uncertainty. And she loves baseball, it's killing her.

Comment

This will change education in more ways than anyone imagines. IF schools re-open in August, expect LOTS of changes. Sporting events? Bus transportation? Class size? Lunches? Hard to do those things while social distancing.

Comment

Working...
                              X