Texas bests honky tonks

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Texas bests honky tonks

This is an interesting article from next months Texas Monthly. I have now have a new reason for a few road trips

We traveled 3,000 miles to find the state’s best little country joints. Welcome to neon nirvana. Slip a quarter in the jukebox. Pull up a bar stool under the neon lights. Grab a Longneck. Here’s to the best honky-tonks in Texas.

Back in the day, it was the Reo Palm Isle in Longview.
    At least it was for me!!!

Comment

Considering that it's Texas Monthly, I wouldn't set my sights too high. Lots of great honky tonks in Texas, that no liberal millennial from that left-leaning rag would set foot in. Also, LMAO at all the "non-smoking" establishments. In a "honky tonk"? Are you for real?

BTW....Neon Boots in Houston is a gay bar. Not a joke, it's a legit LGBT dancehall.

Texas Monthly is a joke.

Comment

I've been to The Finish Line Club, but it's been a while.

Can confirm, it is NOT a gay bar.

Comment

Define best?

Hullabaloos Pasadena Texas ~ circa 1992

Tang Capital Of Texas!
          Click image for larger version

Name:	Capture.JPG
Views:	1
Size:	35.3 KB
ID:	24589067

Comment

Originally posted by curtintex View Post
            Also, LMAO at all the "non-smoking" establishments. In a "honky tonk"? Are you for real?

BTW....Neon Boots in Houston is a gay bar. Not a joke, it's a legit LGBT dancehall.
            Agreed and true to both.

Comment

Originally posted by sqiggy View Post
              Amen brother... It was the place to be in the 80's.

Comment

I spent a few night there while in town working.

Comment

There is a guy here in Dallas that is bringing the Longhorn Ballroom back to its glory. Had some wild nights in there back in the day.

Comment

You misspelled "Jaguars"

Comment

That publication is a joke. Most "best of" was paid for when in that mag. It whose willing to pay most for the page.

Cowboys on Gaston 93'- 97' as my second home. Nickle longnecks on Wednesday night. And alot of fights!

Comment

Originally posted by Spearchunker View Post
                        That publication is a joke. Most "best of" was paid for when in that mag. It whose willing to pay most for the page.

Cowboys on Gaston 93'- 97' as my second home. Nickle longnecks on Wednesday night. And alot of fights!
                        Spent a few nights at Cowboys too.

Comment

Kosciusko hall and Cestohowa hall back in the day had some wild nights. Those were some women, long and tall and could drink you under the table. Sure are some beautiful women up that way

Comment

I can think of numerous places off the top of my head that are much better than any on that list. I can’t believe Arky Blues in bandera is on there haha

My all time favorite, the rockin P in stephenville.

Comment

Originally posted by curtintex View Post
                              Considering that it's Texas Monthly, I wouldn't set my sights too high. Lots of great honky tonks in Texas, that no liberal millennial from that left-leaning rag would set foot in. Also, LMAO at all the "non-smoking" establishments. In a "honky tonk"? Are you for real?

Texas Monthly is a joke.
                              I laughed so hard at this I got some looks from people here at work. Red River on 249 was my hangout way back then. .75 longnecks on Friday night and 1.00 on Saturday night made for some fun times over there but I doubt it would have ever made any best of list.

Comment

Working...
                              X