New Bowhunter

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

New Bowhunter

I have been an avid hunter my entire life and just decided to add bow hunting into the mix. I decided to try out a friends bow and couldn't get it pulled back (60 something pounds). Is this just a strength issue? Talk about feeling like a weakling! What do you recommend for a beginner to get started?

I think it is as much about technique as it is strength. I also believe you need to try with a bow set up for yourself with proper draw length

Comment

Form and strength, start out slow, lift some weights and get some stretch bands, you'll get there. You-tube some form video's

God Bless
      Bish

Comment

It’s a technique and strength. I recommend you go to a archery proshop to get fitted a bow that has adjustable draw weight and draw length. A bow that’s not too aggressive with the cam system. The Elite Basin and Terrain are good options with a reasonable price. A good shop will spend a little time teaching you how to shoot. Your friend may be able to help some too, but most people (including me) undervalue good instruction in the beginning. Let me know if you need help or advice.

@StraightWayOutdoors
        Straight Way Outdoors, Fulcrum Archery, Elite Archery, Upwind Odor Elimination, Wicked Twisted Bowstrings, Pine Ridge Archery, Sevr Broadheads, Bloodline Fibers, Element Arrows

Comment

It’s a strength that comes from doing it. I’ve had guys that in general were probably stronger than me, but couldn’t pull back my 70# bow.

Comment

Once you learn how to correctly draw the bow back, and what muscles to use, it will be a lot easier. It isn't all about strength, although that does play a part.

Is there a pro shop or archery club near you? Does your friend have a lighter bow you could try? If you go the shop route, tell them up front you don't have any experience, and see if they offer beginner classes or have an instructor free. Start off with something light, not with the intention of buying it, but to learn how to draw it back. Asking for help isn't always easy, but it can save a lot of headache down the road. A little bit of quality instruction goes a long way.
            Last edited by CamoQuest; 03-23-2022, 08:12 AM.

Comment

You do not have to pull a lot of weight to kill deer. I have killed deer pulling 55-60lbs. Some people say don't use light draw weight and mechanical heads but I have killed deer with Rage and Grim Reaper heads. Trying the Sevr 1.5 next season.

Comment

Like every one else has said, it is going to take time to build up those muscles that you probably aren’t used to using. I would recommend just going to a pro shop to where they can let you try a few bows that fit you and share some good knowledge with you on where to get started . A bow I would recommend to try is either a Mission Switch or a Mission Mxr. The switch goes all the up to 30 inches of draw and the mxr goes to 29.5. The poundage can usually go as low as 40 or even on the switch close to 30. So give yourself some time and the more you condition yourself self and the more you shoot a bow and use those muscles the more you will be able to boost up the draw weight.

Comment

I think it has something to do with committing to the task. If you try to slowly draw the bow back it is very difficult. The advice given above will be helpful to getting started.

Comment

OP, any chance you know the what bow your buddy let you try?

I've got an old Bear from the 80s that is a beast to draw back.

Where are you located?

Someone from the GS will know a solid Bow shop you can visit. The shop will have different bows for you to try out.

Comment

I love these threads

Comment

Working...
                      X