No announcement yet.

Texas history Bowie, start to finish.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I can’t wait to see the finished product! Definitely a really cool build, will be following along.

Comment

Tagged!! Cool build.

Comment

Tagged! This thread really excites me and has me thinking. We have some cool old stuff at our ranch that dates back to the 1800's when our family acquired it. It would be cool to make knives out of it.

Comment

Originally posted by Jason Fry View Post
          The story on the nails. The battle of San Jacinto only involved roughly 1/3 of the Mexican forces in Texas. After the battle, the rest of the Mexican army regrouped at Madam Powell's boarding house to decide what to do. While there, they got word that Santa Anna was still alive and that he said to go home. As they retreated southward, they got stuck between the floodwaters of a couple of rivers in an area that became known as the "Sea of Mud." The nails I have are from the excavation of Powell's, and the harness decorations and grape shot are from the Sea of Mud excavations.

The public is invited to attend the re-dedication of the Texas State Historical Marker originally placed where the Mexican Army met at Madam...

https://tshaonline.org/publications/books/665
          Thanks for that info Jason! I'm familiar with those events that you speak of. Dr. Dimmick's book is very interesting and I am look forward to your build. An interesting video is of the Dr talking about all those events. Here's the link to it [ame="https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fuWlUZxekjs"]Dimmick[/ame]

Comment

What would it cost to build another one like the one you gave Gov Abbott. I fell in love with that knife when I originally saw that post.

Comment

Your Bowie knives are over the top Jason. The one you emailed me the other day had me drooling but I can't swing it right now "my wife says".

Comment

Another half day worth of welding and I’m closing in. 1232, 19, and 17. Soon to be recombined into 1836. Two more restacks and I’ll be there. At least another half days work, maybe full.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

In for this!

Comment

Last night in the spirit of "when am I ever going to use this" I did a little algebra to figure out how many of the 17's, 19's, and extra layers I needed to get my cladding billet to 150 layers exactly. I ended up having to go to 2" tiles stacked high, but I have my billet prepped for the next forging session. After that weld and draw, I'll have a 150. One cut, a layer of nickel in between, and re-draw and I'll have 301 layer to clad the 1232. Nickel in between the clad and the 1232 will get me to.... 1836.

Fisk asked me last night why 1836, since Texas statehood was 1845. I told him statehood is for suckers, independence is the way to go

Comment

Texas!!!

Can’t wait to see finished product

Comment

So because EVERYTHING is cancelled, I got an unexpected four day weekend. I won’t spend the whole time in the shop, but will get some good work in. At least one of the days will include welding up the Damascus for this knife. Weather report says today is probably the best one for that.

Yesterday I put the finishing touches on a cool knife. The blade on this one is buggy seat spring, found in a field near the old community of Shiloh, TX. Guard is wagon wheel, and handle is ash wood wagon tongue.

Comment

Gorgeous knife Jason!

Comment

Cool project

Comment

Go time...

The big one on the rt is San Jacinto. Doing two others today as well, since it’s supposed to rain tomorrow and Monday.

Comment

It’s a long drawn out process.

The 150 ready for a single cut and re-weld, and the 20 welded and drawn out. That was 2.5 hours worth.

Comment

Working...
                                X