Go Back   TexasBowhunter.com Community Discussion Forums > Topics > Around the Campfire

Old 07-08-2019, 02:59 PM   #1
txhunter90
Ten Point

Hunt In: Lindale
Default Deer at Taxidermist length of time??

Nov 28, 2017 I dropped off my deer to a new to me taxidermist.
Initially was told 6-8 months to complete. Around the 8 month mark I had called and spoke and he said it wasn't done. No big deal, as I know not to expect a fast return on taxidermy.

Checked in with him in Nov of 2018 and sent multiple texts and finally got a response on Jan 24th, 2019 and he still had not ordered my form and it would be completed as soon as possible. Hide was already tanned and wouldn't take long for him to finish.

May was the last time I had spoke with him and said it would be done in a couple weeks.

I understand things happen with family and other personal issues happen which may push back work for a 1 man full time taxidermist.

Being on month 19 and still has not started on mine (hide has been tanned). But have been tempted to just go get my hide and horns and take it somewhere else to be completed.

Just seeing if I am the one over reacting or do most taxidermist take over twice as long to complete.

Last edited by txhunter90; 07-08-2019 at 03:20 PM. Reason: Change title
txhunter90 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 07-08-2019, 03:05 PM   #2
big_smith
Ten Point

Hunt In: Brady, Rocksprings, New Mexico

He has messed up your hide, or lost the horns or something else fishy. Taxidermy is a slow process, but not that slow.
big_smith is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 07-08-2019, 03:10 PM   #3
bowaddict40
Ten Point

Hunt In: Navarro County

I got mine back in about 4 months this year. My buddy has never gotten his back later than about 8mos. He does have a guy that works for him so there are 2 people there but he also has a lot of work. He guides in Colorado for Elk then brings them all home to do. He also gets a lot of Africa work form people. He does great work, but he also stays on top of it.
bowaddict40 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 07-08-2019, 03:18 PM   #4
txhunter90
Ten Point

Quote:
Originally Posted by big_smith View Post
He has messed up your hide, or lost the horns or something else fishy. Taxidermy is a slow process, but not that slow.
That is what has been going through my mind. I sure hope this is not the case. I am starting to think he may think I will just forget about it.
Old 07-08-2019, 03:23 PM   #5
txhunter90
Ten Point

Quote:
Originally Posted by bowaddict40 View Post
I got mine back in about 4 months this year. My buddy has never gotten his back later than about 8mos. He does have a guy that works for him so there are 2 people there but he also has a lot of work. He guides in Colorado for Elk then brings them all home to do. He also gets a lot of Africa work form people. He does great work, but he also stays on top of it.
Have a buddy that already received his Nov 2018 deer back and looks great. I am continuing to wait for twice his length of time, frustrating.
Old 07-08-2019, 03:30 PM   #6
AntlerCollector
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Votaw, Hardin/Polk Co., TX. Bon Weir, Newton Co., El Dorado, Schleicher Co., TX.

Just go get it. Take it somewhere else
AntlerCollector is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 07-08-2019, 03:35 PM   #7
White Falcon
Pope & Young

Hunt In: East Tx. and Anywhere I can!

txhunter90, is it a local taxidermy shop? If so would you PM me he name so I never use them.
White Falcon is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 07-08-2019, 03:40 PM   #8
150class
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Uvalde, Boerne

Sense he specified a time frame and you are now approaching 3x's over that allotted time frame I would be fairly concerned. I am use to a 10-12 month wait from the couple of taxi's I use and if it runs a few months over its not a big deal.

If i was almost 33 months in that would not be acceptable or okay and I would get getting my stuff and taking it elsewhere.
150class is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 07-08-2019, 03:52 PM   #9
txhunter90
Ten Point

Quote:
Originally Posted by White Falcon View Post
txhunter90, is it a local taxidermy shop? If so would you PM me he name so I never use them.
Kind of local, as of right now do not want to drag him through the mud without knowing exactly what has been going on. But will keep you updated.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 150class View Post
Sense he specified a time frame and you are now approaching 3x's over that allotted time frame I would be fairly concerned. I am use to a 10-12 month wait from the couple of taxi's I use and if it runs a few months over its not a big deal.

If i was almost 33 months in that would not be acceptable or okay and I would get getting my stuff and taking it elsewhere.
Yea for sure.

Quote:
Originally Posted by AntlerCollector View Post
Just go get it. Take it somewhere else
That is the way I am leaning and be done with it.
Old 07-08-2019, 03:59 PM   #10
PolkFiction
Nubbin' Buck

Hunt In: Polk County, Hill County

Something's fishy. If you're having a hard time getting ahold of him especially. I'd bet money he avoids you like the plague the minute you mention you want to come pick up your stuff. Hope he does you right and there's some logical explanation but it doesn't sound promising.
PolkFiction is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 07-08-2019, 04:03 PM   #11
bowaddict40
Ten Point

Hunt In: Navarro County

Quote:
Originally Posted by PolkFiction View Post
Something's fishy. If you're having a hard time getting ahold of him especially. I'd bet money he avoids you like the plague the minute you mention you want to come pick up your stuff. Hope he does you right and there's some logical explanation but it doesn't sound promising.

Yea I definitely would not let him know I was on my way. I would just show up and get it. I would also ask for a refund for most of my money if it is tanned and all of my money if it is not.
bowaddict40 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 07-08-2019, 04:03 PM   #12
txhunter90
Ten Point

Quote:
Originally Posted by PolkFiction View Post

First I called a few times got one answer. So I just thought he was busy and has been text ever since. I just shrugged him not texting back alot of the time being he may not like to text. But, I did it for my paper trail and takes not time to respond. I know some family issues arose. But, I am getting impatient now.
Old 07-08-2019, 04:04 PM   #13
txhunter90
Ten Point

Quote:
Originally Posted by bowaddict40 View Post
Yea I definitely would not let him know I was on my way. I would just show up and get it. I would also ask for a refund for most of my money if it is tanned and all of my money if it is not.
Good idea, I paid half down and the rest was supposed to be upon completion.
Old 07-08-2019, 04:23 PM   #14
ateague11
Ten Point

Hunt In: Hare, TX

Quote:
Originally Posted by txhunter90 View Post
Good idea, I paid half down and the rest was supposed to be upon completion.
I never have provided a deposit at a Taxidermists
ateague11 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 07-08-2019, 04:31 PM   #15
Tbuddyandroby
Eight Point

Hunt In: Votaw

It should Never take that long. PERIOD...
Tbuddyandroby is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 07-08-2019, 04:49 PM   #16
Jen-Man
Ten Point

Hunt In: Sheridan, Cotulla

Lost a turkey like that several years ago. Half down up front. Stopped answering phone. Went to business it was boarded up. Went to sheriffs office, found out there had already been many charges filed so I jumped on ban wagon. A year later he calls me, tells me a taxidermist in Colorado has my turkey. Says all he would get out of it is the other half I owed him. Got number called taxi, he assured me he had MY turkey and if other peoples ducks and geese. Idk but he delivered a finished turkey to my house a couple of months later and I paid him. Still not 100% sure itís mine. Crazy stuff. Oh and he asked me to drop charges, I did.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Jen-Man is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 07-08-2019, 05:07 PM   #17
Huntingfool
Six Point

Yeah I would be in the middle of that - I would be on his door step getting my deer and refund = no excuse for it
Huntingfool is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 07-08-2019, 05:14 PM   #18
cwbow
Ten Point

Hunt In: Leon County

Quote:

Well 20 months, not 33.
cwbow is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 07-08-2019, 05:27 PM   #19
pilar
Ten Point

Hunt In: Sisterdale and el dorado , Jeff Davis, refugio/sinton

Rule #1 never ever leave the horns or antlers to any trophy with a taxi till they call you back for the final process
I don’t trust any guy running a taxidermist shop all them have a tendency to fly off the rails at one time or another, and you may never see the horns or the taxi again
I do pay a 1/2 deposit but would rather lose that than the trophy

So repeat NEVER Ever trust any taxidermist with a trophy
Money can be replaced but never a trophy animal
pilar is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 07-08-2019, 05:33 PM   #20
kc5rkg
Eight Point

Hunt In: South TX

I'd go get it and take it somewhere else! Sure makes me appreciate my taxidermist.
kc5rkg is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 07-08-2019, 05:43 PM   #21
Bowtech38
Pope & Young

I had a bobcat full body mount done in 6 months.
Bowtech38 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 07-08-2019, 05:45 PM   #22
txtradesman
Ten Point

Hunt In: Texas

Chalk it off
txtradesman is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 07-08-2019, 05:50 PM   #23
150class
Pope & Young

Quote:
Originally Posted by cwbow View Post
Well 20 months, not 33.
I transferred the time frame the OP is experiencing over to what I normally see with wait times to draw a parallel.
Old 07-08-2019, 06:13 PM   #24
Huntingfool
Six Point

Quote:
Originally Posted by pilar View Post
Rule #1 never ever leave the horns or antlers to any trophy with a taxi till they call you back for the final process
I donít trust any guy running a taxidermist shop all them have a tendency to fly off the rails at one time or another, and you may never see the horns or the taxi again
I do pay a 1/2 deposit but would rather lose that than the trophy

So repeat NEVER Ever trust any taxidermist with a trophy
Money can be replaced but never a trophy animal

This is spot on - I ALWAYS get my horns and keep them with me until the taxi says he is ready to mount them -
Old 07-08-2019, 06:32 PM   #25
pilar
Ten Point

Default Steady stream of work

Quote:
Originally Posted by Huntingfool View Post
This is spot on - I ALWAYS get my horns and keep them with me until the taxi says he is ready to mount them -
I was in the outfitting business for 30 + years and got burned a couple of times early on
And if a taxidermist doesnít want our steady supply of white tails, mulie, and pronghorn, nilgai on our simple terms I wouldnít do business with them
Same goes for the meat processor ( clean, quality, prompt and zero attitude)
Old 07-08-2019, 06:53 PM   #26
Huntingfool
Six Point

Quote:
Originally Posted by pilar View Post
I was in the outfitting business for 30 + years and got burned a couple of times early on
And if a taxidermist doesnít want our steady supply of white tails, mulie, and pronghorn, nilgai on our simple terms I wouldnít do business with them
Same goes for the meat processor ( clean, quality, prompt and zero attitude)
IMO ANY taxi taking over a year to do a deer mount is bad news period - I drop mine off in Nov-Dec and by March-April he is calling for me to come pick it up -
Old 07-08-2019, 07:01 PM   #27
150class
Pope & Young

Quote:
IMO ANY taxi taking over a year to do a deer mount is bad news period - I drop mine off in Nov-Dec and by March-April he is calling for me to come pick it up -
Well thatís a bit drastic donít you think?
Old 07-08-2019, 07:06 PM   #28
Mudslinger
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Kent Co., Stonewall Co., CO, Limpopo RSA

Quote:
Your taxi must not be very busy. I get worried if they say it will take maybe 4 months or less. I expect at least 10 to 12 months from the taxi's I use!
Mudslinger is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 07-08-2019, 07:12 PM   #29
pilar
Ten Point

Quote:
I think a 6-8 month turn around is a good time frame on normal mount , 9-10 if shipping is involved or year if a special/ unique request ( he should be sending you progressive pictures if a special request)
Old 07-08-2019, 07:14 PM   #30
Artos
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Deep South TX

We are fortunate to have two very good taxi's down here & both take 1-2 years...the time doesn't bother me as much as the run around. Pretty much the norm for the better ones to have these sort of lead times.

Also, I will not leave the horns with the taxi...take them home & just call me when ready for them. Might as well enjoy them & have possession of the main ingredient during the wait.

If I were you, I would get in there & grab your bone!!

Last edited by Artos; 07-08-2019 at 07:16 PM.
Artos is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 07-08-2019, 10:21 PM   #31
txhunter90
Ten Point

Thanks guys wanted to give him the benefit. Nice guy and donít think any ill intent. Just ready to get it back, but little more time will tell. I reached out to him tonight and he said my deer is on the stand today. Coincidence? I donít know, but I would guess should be done and ready to pick up by this weekend. So will keep updated.

Old 07-08-2019, 11:48 PM   #32
WildThings
Eight Point

Hunt In: None at the moment

Quote:
I reached out to him tonight and he said my deer is on the stand today. Coincidence? I donít know, but I would guess should be done and ready to pick up by this weekend. So will keep updated.

If it was on the stand today don't expect it this weekend. Any deer mount that I do needs to dry for at least 10 days to 2 weeks or longer and then finish work needs to be completed.
WildThings is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 07-09-2019, 06:08 AM   #33
150class
Pope & Young

Quote:
Thanks guys wanted to give him the benefit. Nice guy and donít think any ill intent. Just ready to get it back, but little more time will tell. I reached out to him tonight and he said my deer is on the stand today. Coincidence? I donít know, but I would guess should be done and ready to pick up by this weekend. So will keep updated.

Ask him to text you a couple photos of it.
Old 07-09-2019, 06:21 AM   #34
AntlerCollector
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Votaw, Hardin/Polk Co., TX. Bon Weir, Newton Co., El Dorado, Schleicher Co., TX.

Quote:

Good luck. It would have been better if he told you that on the phone and then you walked through his door

I have a feeling you wouldn't have seen your deer on that stand. Did he tell you it would be ready this weekend or did you assume that part? He's not leaving much drying time if that's the case.
AntlerCollector is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 07-09-2019, 06:35 AM   #35
DirtyDave
Ten Point

I've got you beat by a year LOL
Waiting on my Nov 2016 Buck......
DirtyDave is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 07-09-2019, 06:55 AM   #36
Huntingfool
Six Point

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mudslinger View Post
Your taxi must not be very busy. I get worried if they say it will take maybe 4 months or less. I expect at least 10 to 12 months from the taxi's I use!
to the contrary - he is busy - he and his wife both do the work and have used them for years - so have others on our lease - does a great job -
Old 07-09-2019, 07:11 AM   #37
Arrowflinger84
Ten Point

Hunt In: Spikezilla

Quote:
Nov 28, 2017 I dropped off my deer to a new to me taxidermist.
Initially was told 6-8 months to complete. Around the 8 month mark I had called and spoke and he said it wasn't done. No big deal, as I know not to expect a fast return on taxidermy.

Checked in with him in Nov of 2018 and sent multiple texts and finally got a response on Jan 24th, 2019 and he still had not ordered my form and it would be completed as soon as possible. Hide was already tanned and wouldn't take long for him to finish.

May was the last time I had spoke with him and said it would be done in a couple weeks.

I understand things happen with family and other personal issues happen which may push back work for a 1 man full time taxidermist.

Being on month 19 and still has not started on mine (hide has been tanned). But have been tempted to just go get my hide and horns and take it somewhere else to be completed.

Just seeing if I am the one over reacting or do most taxidermist take over twice as long to complete.

I have the exact same story! I doubt we took it to the same person but its been 19 months and still no deer. I know it doesnt take that long I am just not a priority client so I wont be taking mine back. I took my sons deer to a guy that at least will return your texts or answer the phone...
Arrowflinger84 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 07-09-2019, 07:32 AM   #38
UltraMax
Ten Point

I dabble a little in taxidermy. It’s all about customer service. Do not make any hard set dates on when you will have a person’s critter done, and always call them and let them know what’s going on. A lot of guys take on more than they can handle and get way far behind.

Hopefully your deer will turn out ok. I probably would’ve gone and gotten my horns.

I would ask him for a pic of the deer once it’s mounted.
UltraMax is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 07-09-2019, 09:41 AM   #39
txhunter90
Ten Point

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arrowflinger84 View Post
I have the exact same story! I doubt we took it to the same person but its been 19 months and still no deer. I know it doesnt take that long I am just not a priority client so I wont be taking mine back. I took my sons deer to a guy that at least will return your texts or answer the phone...
Ya was a little weary about a new taxidermist that I do not know. But, we will see.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DirtyDave View Post
I've got you beat by a year LOL
Waiting on my Nov 2016 Buck......
Haha, I would be going nutzzz. My cousin is still waiting on a bobcat from I think 2015. I believe he is going to be waiting a long time.

Quote:
Originally Posted by UltraMax View Post
I dabble a little in taxidermy. Itís all about customer service. Do not make any hard set dates on when you will have a personís critter done, and always call them and let them know whatís going on. A lot of guys take on more than they can handle and get way far behind.

Hopefully your deer will turn out ok. I probably wouldíve gone and gotten my horns.

I would ask him for a pic of the deer once itís mounted.
Yes getting the horns for sure next time. Never even really knew that was a thing. This isnt a giant, just a sentimental deer as I shot it on my families land. Would hate to loose it.
Old 07-09-2019, 09:48 AM   #40
txhunter90
Ten Point

Quote:
Originally Posted by AntlerCollector View Post
Good luck. It would have been better if he told you that on the phone and then you walked through his door

I have a feeling you wouldn't have seen your deer on that stand. Did he tell you it would be ready this weekend or did you assume that part? He's not leaving much drying time if that's the case.
Lol, well its about an hour or a little over an hour from my house. With a newborn kind of hard to get away at the moment or I would. I was just assuming didn't know how long it takes for one to dry. After looking around looks like drying takes between 2-4 weeks. I'll just ask for a picture in the mean time.
Old 07-10-2019, 08:25 AM   #41
txhunter90
Ten Point

Quote:
Originally Posted by WildThings View Post
If it was on the stand today don't expect it this weekend. Any deer mount that I do needs to dry for at least 10 days to 2 weeks or longer and then finish work needs to be completed.
Yea, I assumed it wouldnt take that long to dry. I was wrong for sure, but did ask for pictures.

Quote:
Ask him to text you a couple photos of it.

I did yesterday no response back.
Old 07-10-2019, 08:40 AM   #42
IAFFHunter18
Six Point

Hunt In: East Texas, Sonora

PM sent
IAFFHunter18 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 07-17-2019, 11:51 AM   #43
txhunter90
Ten Point

Well, got the text today that the deer is done and picking up today. May have taken longer than initially told, but glad it worked out for me better than some. Was thinking worst case scenario. Just a little update and couple pictures. As this deer was more sentimental from where it was shot than a giant.