Water well help

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Water well help

I need some help with a water well. I’ve never seen how one works and need to re work one at the ranch. This was an old well that I last saw working about 35 years ago. It was a windmill that always pumped into the cistern next to it. Cattleman for whatever reason quit working on it. Now I’m trying to get water out of the well. It is an 8 inch casing that seems to have callapased in about 35 feet down. Water level is at 20 feet. It says it was 168 feet deep. We are thinking of resleeving it our selves with a 5 inch pvc pipe and putting sand around it. Or is there a way to possibly punch through to go deeper? The 8 inch casing is rusting and falling in. Then what type of pump and where do I get it from? I would like for it to be on solar but will probably run off of a generator for now maybe once a month. I look online and there are so many options and prices I have know idea what is good or not. Any help would be greatly appreciated. Any insight into a solar setup would be great like power requirements and parts to complete. Thanks in advance.

The cowboys quit working on it because it’s toast. It can be repaired, but most likely cheaper to just drill a new one.

Comment

I'd start by jetting it with a high volume compressor. By high volume, I mean the kind that are gas operated, and on a trailer. They can found at most any equipment rental facility. Since the well at one time was 168', I'd make sure you bring a minimum of 150' of compressor hose.

This is good starting point with minimal upfront costs compared to drilling new well. You'll be amazed at what comes out! Either way, the well will have to be jetted prior to installation of a new pump.

Pump size is contingent upon the amount of water the well is capable of producing. You're not a point where you're ready to select a pump.
      Last edited by austen9219; 01-23-2019, 12:12 AM.

Comment

Thanks guys for the responses. Keep them coming. I have never heard of jetting it. I will look into renting a compressor.

Comment

Ttt

Comment

Originally posted by austen9219 View Post
            I'd start by jetting it with a high volume compressor. By high volume, I mean the kind that are gas operated, and on a trailer. They can found at most any equipment rental facility. Since the well at one time was 168', I'd make sure you bring a minimum of 150' of compressor hose.

This is good starting point with minimal upfront costs compared to drilling new well. You'll be amazed at what comes out! Either way, the well will have to be jetted prior to installation of a new pump.

Pump size is contingent upon the amount of water the well is capable of producing. You're not a point where you're ready to select a pump.

This is your answer.

Comment

I would drill a new one and set it up solar and I worked at a water well business for 5 years and have seen most “at home remedies” for wells

Comment

If your well casing is perforated (has rusted/corroded through) jetting it will do nothing but make a big mess.

Comment

Working...
                X