The Backcountry Gear Thread!!!!!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by WItoTX View Post
    Haha, I was looking at the exact same two packs.

I love the pack and the x-frame, it's incredible how well it held 50 lbs square on my back. Once I had camp set up and everything out of the pack, it collapsed down to almost nothing, to the point I could move quick going down the trail without knowing it was there. Now I just need to get an elk so I can test out the load shelf.

SG came out with a new, lighter frame this year too, kind of wish I would have waited a couple months.

You like the Kifaru?
    I have two stone glaciers and love them. I used an internal frame for years and found the stone glacier to be very similar. It is incredibly versatile and light weight.

Comment

This is my over all list, where/when I hunt changes a few things up

Tent-Kifaru Tut/stove & Mountain hardware ghost ultra 3
      Boots-hanwag Yukon and chillkat
      Stove- MSR windburned and pocket rocket
      Pad-seas to summit comfort insulated
      Pack-exo K2 1800-5500
      Bag-EE Revelation Apex 20, MH Phantom 3degree
      Water-MSR guardian, trailshot and steri pen
      Poles- BD alpine carbon cork and pacemaker(Texas company)
      Socks- farm to feet and kuiu/firstlite(kuiu shrinks easy and firstlite wears quicker)

Thats my base list.
      Hydration-I only run a bag of water is limited. I prefer 40 and 32 Nalgene over all through all temp ranges

Comment

Originally posted by diamond10x View Post
        Anyone besides the OP have any hunts coming up this fall/winter?
        I will be chasing Dall sheep in a month. Will post my gear here in a few.

Comment

Dall sheep and new mexico muley

Comment

One sept archery elk, two if I tag out quick
            One Oct Pronghorn archery hunt
            One Jan archery Mulie Hunt, will be two if I tag out quick.
            Working on Aug bear hunt

Comment

I joined this site a couple years ago never been now hunting before. It is an addictive hobby. Now I am planning on packing in 2020. This thread will help me select my gear and over time. Momma will be happy as well so I don’t drop several thousand dollars at once

Comment

I won't hunt out of State this year. Multiple fractures in my fibia/tibia. Torn ACL and torn ligaments in my ankle. I really did it up good! Re-habing for 2019 dreams. I will live vicariously through y'all.

Comment

In for details

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

I'll be chasing elk in Nv this year...spike/management size bulls. Late December rifle.
                    Last edited by Bowhuntamistad; 07-16-2018, 02:42 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Patton View Post
                      Awesome, this should be a great thread! That pack looks great and I considered it but ultimately went with the EXO 3500.

I have most of my gear for this September but am still indecisive on a shelter. I'm thinking this Aqua Quest Tarp for it's weight/size/price. Open to any and all advice, I'm trying to stay lightweight without breaking the bank too much.
                      How are you liking the exo pack? Exo and kifaru are what I’ve been considering upgrading to. I’ve been running a horn hunter which by the way is terrible so either of these packs will be a significant upgrade.

Comment

Obviously I come at this from a "backcountry rookie" standpoint, but here is the philosophy I've boiled it down to with regards to gear durability, weight, comfort (especially at 48!) and budget.

1. Boots and Pack - Having the right fit is critical for a backcountry hunt where you are literally on your feet all day and packing in the rest of your gear (and hopefully packing out an animal at the end!).

Boots are pretty obvious. I had a good pair of Lowa Renegades that were about 1/4 size too small. I probably could have made them work, but on a hunt like this I chose not to risk it. I ended up buying a pair of Salomon GTX 4D at REI's Memorial Weekend sale on my way from Denver to my scouting trip. I found them for $170, and don't regret that purchase.

Many packs will work to pack gear in and out. But, there's a big distinction between what will work and what will work comfortably. I carried 49.5# (plus up to 3 liters of water) in my Badlands pack in May. I've been training with 68# in my Cavern and it carries the load much better, obviously, than the Badlands. I haven't used any non-hunting frame packs, but by all accounts the upper-end packs (Kifaru, Stone Glacier, EXO, etc.) are designed to handle heavier loads more efficiently than ultralight backpacking packs. Again, at my age, I'll pay a little extra for comfort and efficiency! Even at my age, hopefully over the course of my remaining backcountry lifetime, I'll use it enough to minimize the cost differences.

2. Sleep system - Again, comfort and good sleep are important for me, but I think sleeping comfort can be achieved with a variety of budgets and weight. I'm (at least) as comfortable with an open floor tarp as I am with a tent, and don't feel the need to spend $300+ on an ultralight tent. I upgraded my quilt after my scouting trip and I feel like my Outdoor Vitals Loftek quilt offered good quality and light weight at a reasonable price (<$120). I've had good luck with a reasonably priced inflatable pad (<$60). I sleep better on inflatable than closed cell foam. I've been able to repair leaks on other pads (and qulits) with Tenacious Tape. It would take a significant gash to have me sleeping on the ground. I'll carry a Sea to Summit inflatable pillow and a Tyvek ground sheet. For

3. Clothing - Technical clothing is great, but people hunted for many years in cotton or inexpensive synthetic clothing. Most of us have camo that we can layer that will work in most backcountry situations, so this is an area where most of us can save money (possibly at the expense of weight) when planning a backcountry trip. Obviously cold, wet weather might dictate additional consideration for safety. Some mountaineering and hiking companies offer good technical clothing, especially base and mid layers, where camouflage isn't necessarily a requirement. I was leaning toward going this route and pairing with my existing Predator outer shell, but I came across a really good deal on pants, merino shirt, mid hoodie and outer shell from First Lite, so I made the purchase.

Bows/Arrows/Broadheads - Most of this boils down to personal preferences, and most of us likely already have setups that will work. I chose to get new, heavier arrows that I'm testing now, and I'm considering going with a different broadhead, but I wouldn't have any issues running the same setup I've been using for whitetails.

Accessories - Optics (spotter, binoculars, rangefinders, etc.), cook kit, knives, kill kits, lights, navigation, camera equipment and other gear all boil down to individual priorities and budgets.

Take all of the above with a grain of salt. I'll let you know in late September how my philosophy on the above may have changed!
                        My Flickr Photos

Comment

I’ll be helping two of my friends from New Mexico hunt first elk in the Gila. I’ll have a New Mexico rifle deer hunt week before thanksgiving.

Comment

Originally posted by Texans42 View Post
                            Measured 120 or estimated? I’m actually shocked the stay points and strap attackments didn’t break. I’ve broken a few Osprey and Mountain Hardware packs in the past. My biggest complaint on those packs outside the scary barreling with weight, is the non functioning hip belts/lumbar pad, and durability

I personally couldn’t recommend an osprey or Mountainhardwear, Kelty etc in a budget segment over some of the aluminum farmers out there. I think the big four in pack out packs, MR, Kifaru, EXO, SG exist for that very reason. Safer more dependable option over mass produced light weight hauling type packs.

If I remember right it weighed 123. We packed out 4 mature over 350” bulls that week alone with no problems. Maybe we all got lucky with ours? Mine is probably ten years old and has packed out dozens of animals. The buddy I hunt with up there packs out dozens a year and his is at least 4-5 years old. I haven’t tried another pack since I bought mine and I’m sure there are some better options out there now. Also we hunt a little different up there with a lot of miles so honestly comfort is number one for me.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

CO archery elk coming in Sept. So far my big purchases:

Pack - Mystery Ranch Metcalf

Sleep - Klymit 35 degree mummy under 3lb. $15 walmart foam roll mat light as a feather and also bringing a thermarest inflatable but that may get left at base camp.

Shelter - cheap Amazon 2 person trekking pole tent. Tested and very happy with quality, under 4lbs and packs small.

Poles - Cascade Mountain carbon. The rockslide crows raves about these budget poles.

Boots - USA made Danner Hood Winter lights, as comfy as sneakers to me.

Clothes - Black Ovis merino underwear, Hunters Element mid and outer layers.

I'm down to just selecting food at this point. Probably $800 in to gear so far but this is my first backcountry trip.
                              Last edited by TexaRican; 07-16-2018, 02:49 PM.

Comment

The Backcountry Gear Thread!!!!!

Usually go to Colorado but gonna give Idaho a shot this year. Msr Twin Brothers with homemade tent stove. Sawyer water filter gravity system. Will probably upgrade to Exo pack pretty quick

Comment

Working...
                                X