Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Different way to heat a tent..... Ur thoughts?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

The heater pointing up worries me quite a bit. 1. fire hazard. I assume you would be on gravel or concrete. 2. the concentrated amount of heat in one area can become interesting quick. Might burnt the heck out of you stepping on it. I don't the risk to reward is worth it in this case. As others have mentioned a buddy heater, wood stove, or electric heater of some sort if you have access to power.

Comment

Why do you want to set the tent up on the trailer? You will have a layer of cold air surrounding the tent on all sides if you set it up on the trailer. If hot weather camping is the bigger issue The flap for the stove pipe could be opened when it’s hot to help vent the tent or as others have mentioned, a generator running a window unit is your answer

Comment

Have you thought of a diesel parking heater? You would need a 12 volt source, but it keeps the combustion air and how air separate.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by 3under3 View Post
          Why do you want to set the tent up on the trailer? You will have a layer of cold air surrounding the tent on all sides if you set it up on the trailer. If hot weather camping is the bigger issue The flap for the stove pipe could be opened when it’s hot to help vent the tent or as others have mentioned, a generator running a window unit is your answer

We hunt some rough country. Some cactus, centipedes, scorpions, and rattlers that id rather avoid. The trailer has dual 7,500 lb axels so it’s rock solid. Warm to hot weather will be 90% of the time, so the trailer makes sense. Not to mention that the ground is rock where we camp. The trailer mounted tent will work for what we do.

Comment

If it sure enough gets cold you will want a tarp on the floor of trailer to keep cold air flow down. It should help on hot days having the air flow.
            Your overthinking this just get a propane buddy heater and run it before you go to bed and after you wake up. This always worked in Colorado for us where it was very cold.
            Best thing to do if sleeping in the cold outside is have a good warm cover/hat for your head. That will keep you warmer than anything

Comment

Originally posted by Killer View Post
              If it sure enough gets cold you will want a tarp on the floor of trailer to keep cold air flow down. It should help on hot days having the air flow.
              Your overthinking this just get a propane buddy heater and run it before you go to bed and after you wake up. This always worked in Colorado for us where it was very cold.
              Best thing to do if sleeping in the cold outside is have a good warm cover/hat for your head. That will keep you warmer than anything

That’s a good plan and probably the route we will go. We will have rubber mats on the floor which should help a lot.

Comment

Put some pallets on the ground and cover with plywood or OSB for a solid floor and then use a wood stove only when you need it.
                The air circulating under the trailer will keep it cold in winter unless you underpin it.
                I would build my floor on the ground and lose maybe 6 inches in height inside the tent.
                A sewn in floor on that tent would help with the snakes and such.

Comment

centipedes, scorpions, and rattlers that id rather avoid.

These will have no problem getting into that trailer, if they want to. Get a buddy heater and a CO detector, if you want.

Comment

Originally posted by cbd10pt View Post
                    I would by an inverter generator and a space heater.
                    Or a window unit with heat and ac
                    Yeap.

Originally posted by Pedernal View Post
                    Small generator and an electric heater would be my next suggestion...
                    Yeap. Solves a lot of problems.

Comment

Originally posted by Killer View Post
                      Agree with the above. In CO we use a propane heater and about an hour before bed time, get a little homemade barrel stove going. The stove put out more heat than the heater did. I would do propane until bed time, and if you need more heat, use a stove...Beats the noise of generator is kind of cool at the same time. Good luck!

P.S. If you are having a tent built, I would absolutely have them put a stove pipe jack flap thing in.

Comment

Do you me asking how much that tent is gonna cost you? Maybe for the price you can buy 2 used pop up campers and leave them at your leases and fix them up fairly cheap. Just saw one for a few hundred bucks the other day on Craigslist

Comment

We use a heater like the one in your pic to heat our 20x20 camp house. Fire it up before bed to knock the chill off then crank it up when you get up in the morning. Would not put it under the trailer and I dont think it would fit anyway.

Comment

Originally posted by TXBRASS View Post
                            It’s an option, but with limited space and 90% of the time, cool air will be wanted more than warm, I didn’t want to go that route.
                            This “option” may only be needed once every 2-3 years, but want to be prepared when and if it is......safely.

We have a group that has camped on the river south of Dryden for over 25 years for the week of Thanksgiving (not a hunting trip). Probably the most lively weather experience we've had was a morning in the 20's and a little breezy (as it can get a little breezy in that country). Anyway... we had snow, thunder hail, thunder rain and back to thunder snow all between daylight and 11AM. Part of what is great about Terrell County in the Fall/Winter/Spring. Might be 90 degrees and bright sunshine, or snowing and 10 degrees. All in the same week!

Comment

Working...
                            X