Stranded....need mechanic help

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Stranded....need mechanic help

Family and I are in broken bow and have a mechanical issue on the motorhome. 2006 Freightliner chassis with 400hp Cummins. AC compressor locked up and chunked and chunked the belt so now it's getting hot. Limped back to campground so we are in a good spot. Question:is there anyway to free up the pulley on a locked up compressor? I dont think so but thought I would ask. Engine design does not allow for a shorter belt to by pass the ac compressor. Next option will be finding a compressor if there is no way to free up the pully. Of course this happens on a Sunday.

Oh and tried the 3 mobile truck repairs in the area and none are working :-(

Comment

Any way to remove the pulley from the compressor? that might allow a shorter belt to be installed to get it home.

Comment

They make a replacement pully for the compressor that turns it into a idler pulley. Check with local parts stores

Comment

[QUOTE=Puggy625;15024733]Any way to remove the pulley from the compressor? that might allow a shorter belt to be installed to get it

First time looked at it I thought a shorter belt would not work but I didn't see a pully above the ac. I may make a shorter belt work!!!

Comment

I can think of worse places to be stuck.

I have heard of a few guys in the same situation that have installed a belt for a non ac optioned truck (these are 5.9/6.7 trucks) and move the tensioner to the factory, alternate location and this belt works. It puts the ribbed side of the belt on the tensioner but it will get you home.

Might be worth looking into? Do you have the 8.3L in your freightliner?

Only other option I can think of is replace the compressor with anything available and install a new belt. Properly service the system upon return. Assuming you're tooled up for any of that!

Comment

Originally posted by 7two View Post

I have heard of a few guys in the same situation that have installed a belt for a non ac optioned truck (these are 5.9/6.7 trucks) and move the tensioner to the factory, alternate location and this belt works. It puts the ribbed side of the belt on the tensioner but it will get you home.

Only other option I can think of is replace the compressor with anything available and install a new belt. Properly service the system upon return. Assuming you're tooled up for any of that!
              Looks like a shorter belt will work hopefully parts house will have one. Wife and boys are on a kayak trip and 4 year old grandson and I are playing mechanic. If she gets back in time I will head to orrielys and buy them out of belts.

Comment

Originally posted by 7two View Post

Sorry to answer your questioni think it's an 8.9 liter cummins. It's a 400hp ISL03

Comment

Think there is a pulley that replaces a/c compressor, might want to check part store

Comment

Originally posted by GoneSouth View Post
                    They make a replacement pully for the compressor that turns it into a idler pulley. Check with local parts stores
                    Quickest and cheapest way out is probably an idler pulley, there's a bunch made for this exact reason.

Comment

Two trips to auto parts later ac bypassed. Not the exact belt but hopefully will get us back home on Tuesday. Glad this thing has two house ACs.

Comment

Hope it works out for ya
                        Where you at?

Comment

Keep us updated! Good luck!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Comment

Made it back to magnolia!!! Now time to replace the AC system.

Comment

Working...
                            X