Protein/Cotton

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Protein/Cotton

For last 10 years have been feeding protein as well as cotton. Thinking of doing away with protein and just go straight cotton. What do you guys think, the good the bad.

Why? Protein offers more advantages than cotton

Comment

Originally posted by sotx View Post
      For last 10 years have been feeding protein as well as cotton. Thinking of doing away with protein and just go straight cotton. What do you guys think, the good the bad.
      smart move actually... protein prices seem to have gone up again in the last few weeks. i personally am familiar with and have hunted on a ranch outside of encinal that grows 200+ inch deer every year and there is not one corn feeder or protein feeder on the whole 6000 acres- they just feed cottonseed continuously.

Comment

My main problem is getting 40,000 lbs worth of feeders filled every month.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Here is a very good and informative video. Pay attention to Gary Holcomb and John Sewell's comments

[ame="https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=H8tpo2o3S5E"]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=H8tpo2o3S5E[/ame]

Comment

I know of a place out of Freer that all they feed is cottonseed and it produces some great deer.

But to your point of 40,000 lbs a month, thats only having to do 4 loads a month, that isn't bad at all!

Comment

Great video. Thank you for posting that.

Comment

I just put ours out Sunday and Monday. Up a little from last time. $170 per 1000

Comment

Originally posted by 160class View Post
                  But to your point of 40,000 lbs a month, thats only having to do 4 loads a month, that isn't bad at all!
                  Can you elaborate?

Comment

I saw you have a feed wagon, I assumed it was a 10K which is only 4 loads a month with that, I was just being a smart***, I feel the pain of keeping feeders full, we had 75+ of them to keep full on the Catarina place I was on

Comment

Originally posted by Jags26 View Post
                      Great video. Thank you for posting that.
                      Not a problem. It's worth mentioning that the same feed company has just developed and release a cottonseed designed specifically for deer. All 3 options have color coordinated bags. Plain whole cottonseed is Orange, Fortified Cottonseed is Red, and Fortified Deer Blend Cottonseed is Yellow. They are claiming a single deer will consume 1/2 to 2 pounds per day.

Comment

Originally posted by 160class View Post
                        I saw you have a feed wagon, I assumed it was a 10K which is only 4 loads a month with that, I was just being a smart***, I feel the pain of keeping feeders full, we had 75+ of them to keep full on the Catarina place I was on

Lmao yes if only I had a silo I'd be set.

Comment

When cotton seed was $160 a ton delivered, was worth the added effort to scope it into baskets. Don’t see the cost advantage now, so we run pellets.

Comment

Lmao yes if only I had a silo I'd be set.

Yes that makes a huge difference, if you do get one, do gravity fed, it’ll fill a 10K buggy in about 45-60 seconds. It’s also helps if you have 2 buggy’s and 2 crews getting it and each doing 3-4 loads a day ha my dad handles all of them on his own (working full time on the ranch) the last couple of years

Comment

Originally posted by RanchFrag View Post
                              Here is a very good and informative video. Pay attention to Gary Holcomb and John Sewell's comments

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=H8tpo2o3S5E
                              I came across this video a few days ago when researching about cottonseed. My local TS store has it for about $16 a 50# bag. I'm thinking about buying a few bags just to see if the deer will eat it.

Comment

Working...
                              X