Saddle hunting thoughts??

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Saddle hunting thoughts??

I know everybody will have an opinion. I am looking at buying into the saddle hunting platform versus another climbing stand. Would like to hear thoughts and recommendations.

I’ve been reading good reviews on the tree hopper. The southern outdoorsman have several review videos on saddles and platforms. I’m switching to one for next season. Been in a climber for a while now and just want something lighter. I’m never really comfortable in a climber (like most people claim to be) so I’m curious to see how the saddle matches up for me. I’m still on the hunt for what saddle and platform I’m gonna buy. They’re pretty proud of those things

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Well I hunt in central texas so I’ve never been in a climber but I use the saddle instead of my lock ons. In several places I still use the lock on as my platform and just saddle hunt out of them. I took a few old lock ons and took the bottom platform off and just stand on the seat. I still have a couple of 360 swivel stands that I like to hunt out of but if I’m not in them I’m saddle hunting.

Comment

Look into the Hawk Helium hunting saddle. Midway had it on sale for $149. I paid $199 for mine and would again. It’s a game changer for being able to hunt multiple locations with minimal prep. I’m not about to up & sell all of my hang on or ladder stands, but have enjoyed the few hunts I’ve had in it so far.

Comment

I made some sits in my dads this year before making the plunge and I’m sold. Already have an order in with TX5 Custom gear. After lots and lots of research and talking with others with hands on, TX5 is supposed to be the Cadillac of them all. And they are made in SETX.

I’ve been running a Lone Wolf Assault for several years now as my mobile set up. After making some sits in the saddle, I don’t see myself using my lock on much anymore. It is comfortable, safe, light weight, and no problem shooting out of it.

My suggestion is buy once cry once cause you’re going to like it. I am pairing my TX5 with a Tetherd Predator XL platform. And I am selling off my Lone Wolf sticks and making the switch to Beast Sticks.

Just do your own research and come to your own conclusion. If you have been a mobile hunter, then you should already know what to look for.

Keep in mind, the saddle and your tether are your life lines. Don’t skimp on it to save a few bucks.

Comment

Originally posted by Sleepy View Post
            I made some sits in my dads this year before making the plunge and I’m sold. Already have an order in with TX5 Custom gear. After lots and lots of research and talking with others with hands on, TX5 is supposed to be the Cadillac of them all. And they are made in SETX.

I’ve been running a Lone Wolf Assault for several years now as my mobile set up. After making some sits in the saddle, I don’t see myself using my lock on much anymore. It is comfortable, safe, light weight, and no problem shooting out of it.

My suggestion is buy once cry once cause you’re going to like it. I am pairing my TX5 with a Tetherd Predator XL platform. And I am selling off my Lone Wolf sticks and making the switch to Beast Sticks.

Just do your own research and come to your own conclusion. If you have been a mobile hunter, then you should already know what to look for.

Keep in mind, the saddle and your tether are your life lines. Don’t skimp on it to save a few bucks.

Do they have a website or just a facebook?

Comment

I ran a DIY “sit & drag” for 5 or so years. Upgraded to a Tethrd Phantom this year. It is a frickin Cadillac compared to my old DIY. I run about 50/50 predator platform vs a ring of steps. Just kind of depends on the tree I’m sitting.

Greg and Ernie (tethrd owners) are awesome guys, and they built the company personnel from some of the most innovative DIY’ers from the original days on saddlehunter.com. Their ability to promote and hype kind of exploded the market, to be honest. Aerohunter makes a good product as well, but their designs tend to benefit sitters and not leaners. The Tethrd Mantis was definitely a leaner style saddle, but the Phantom will comfortably do both.

Comment

First time I ever heard of saddles was at H last year, it seems like its rapidly growing in popularity, at this point I think its eventually going to become the primary way people bow hunt.

Comment

Originally posted by HighwayHunter View Post
                  Do they have a website or just a facebook?

Only Facebook and he will only take so many orders at a time. I got lucky and got in on an order of 12 a few weeks ago. He said it would be a 4-6 week lead time. He builds them all by himself and the attention to detail and the options he puts into his saddles is second to none. I absolutely cannot wait to get mine.

You will have to follow him on Facebook and keep an eye out for when he opens orders again. It will probably be a few months out from now, but he is working diligently to get a process to fulfill the demand of his saddles. He opened up an order of 24 saddles last week and all the spots were gone in the first minute.

I forgot to add. He is working on a website. It was supposed to launch this week, but he said it’s looking like it will be right after the first of the year now.
                  Last edited by Sleepy; 12-24-2020, 09:45 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by SC-001 View Post
                    First time I ever heard of saddles was at H last year, it seems like its rapidly growing in popularity, at this point I think its eventually going to become the primary way people bow hunt.
                    If you are a public hunter or don’t like to sit over feeders on private, I really just don’t see any reason to use anything else. Like anything, it will take a minute to get used to it and get the system down, but it’s nice.

Comment

Originally posted by jrlucas819 View Post
                      I know everybody will have an opinion. I am looking at buying into the saddle hunting platform versus another climbing stand. Would like to hear thoughts and recommendations.
                      I tried a bunch of new things this year. Started using Wild Edge steps instead of screw in Ameristeps. I used a DIY sit drag mod as a saddle. I had initially planned on using a ring of WE steps as my platform. I ended up getting a Tethred predator platform (regular size). I’m sold on using the saddle. Prob won’t go back to my hang ons. I’ve been on the fence about purchasing a name brand saddle or making another DIY.

Comment

I appreciate everyone's opinion. I was looking at the Tethered system as a whole the first have ever heard of saddlehunting was on this forum a few weeks ago looking at a post about hunting Cooper. I will be hunting almost wholly public land. I follow the tethered guys on you tube along with the public hunting guys. I am hoping they do the events that they did and attempted to do last year where you could try the saddles and platforms.

Comment

I’m also looking to buy one.
                          I’m limited to public land, so I have to be mobile as possible. Most of the trees don’t take a climber, and I can’t leave anything setup for more than 72 hours.

There’s a lot more saddle hunter brands than I thought.
                          So now I’m looking to buy one from a Texas company.

Comment

Originally posted by jrlucas819 View Post
                            I appreciate everyone's opinion. I was looking at the Tethered system as a whole the first have ever heard of saddlehunting was on this forum a few weeks ago looking at a post about hunting Cooper. I will be hunting almost wholly public land. I follow the tethered guys on you tube along with the public hunting guys. I am hoping they do the events that they did and attempted to do last year where you could try the saddles and platforms.
                            I was going to be the host for the Texas event this past year, until the dreaded CoVid. They haven’t talked with me yet about doing one this spring, and I have a feeling they will kind of wait to see how this second wave and “dark winter” (as Biden says) will pan out. I know they had a LOT of money tied into each event that went down the drain when everything shut down, and I can’t imagine Greg and Ernie want to lose it all over again. If this craziness settles out in the next few months, I would expect them to set up a new round of teach-n-train events.

Comment

I have a couple of the Tethrd saddles. A mission platform, and have wild edge steps, muddy stagger steps, and use the old school screw in steps. If I am on private land I prefer the screw in steps still, save time and easy in and out.

On public land the tree dictates if I use the stagger steps of the wild edge steps. If the tree is pretty straight with no limbs to climb around I use the stagger steps. If it is not straight and have limbs to get around I use the wild edge steps.

Comment

Working...
                              X