Leopold Scopes

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Leopold Scopes

Ok, need to get a new scope. Was always a fan of Nikon, but they abandoned me. Probably going to get screwed on the warranty repair.

Leupold
    Vortex
    Bushnell

Those are the three I'm looking at, and when its all said and done, I think Leupold is the brand I can count on (felt the same way on Nikon).

So how the heck do I find the scope I want?

Looking at Cabelas they have the Freedom, VX-3i, VX-R, VX-5, etc.

Some of their scope say rimfire and some say muzzleloader.

I just want to get a scope that is for whitetail deer hunting in Texas.

I'd like something with unbelievable eye relief and light magnification. But dam, Leupold make it hard to figure out. Thus me getting into Nikon.

Whats your price range?

Comment

I’ve been happy with my VX3i’s

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by bloodtrail18 View Post
        Whats your price range?

Let me restate the question.

What the heck is the difference between their entry and top end?

But also, what the heck is their top end and what the heck is their entry level?

I don't think I need a $10K scope to shoot the hairs off a nat's @$$ at 10,000 yards.

What I like about my current scope?

3x10 by 40mm objective
        Great light magnification

Eye relief was about my only issue. Wished it would have been better, but at the end of the day, it was just a basic scope for deer hunting.

Comment

Hey man, the first evening I sat in a Hoodoo dark green patch over in Alabama the first year the Leupold Freedoms came out I chuckled at ever spending a dime more over the years...Thousands of dollars wasted. It will work until green fades which is 45 minutes past sunset allowed by most game wardens.

In some ways the Freedom is better than the other models to me. It has a different type of seal system (flat) and good power knob coupled with a great eye box. Some complain about a mushy adjustment but I’ve never had a problem.

I think a VX3i is darn good too. You do not “need” anything above a Freedom. If you are gonna go with ANY scope above a VX3i then go into the 30mm category regardless of brand. No other 1” tube is going to do anything the Freedom and VX3i won’t.

The difference between entry and top end depends on what hype the manufacturer claims and your own eyes.
          Last edited by Johnny44; 11-20-2020, 07:01 PM.

Comment

Natchez has the Weaver 3-9x40 on sale right now for 149.99, I think it is a little better than the entry level Leupolds at half the price.

Comment

They might have it but its discontinued and it doesn’t have as good of a eye relief, eyebox, seal system, nor twilight coatings for low light. I’ve compared them side by side and the Freedom wins hands down

Comment

Originally posted by mrc View Post
                Natchez has the Weaver 3-9x40 on sale right now for 149.99, I think it is a little better than the entry level Leupolds at half the price.
                You can get the Leupold Freedom 3-9x40 for $150 all day and there is no comparison between the two, I have both scopes. With Leupold you cant go wrong with any of their scope lines. They have good warranty coverage, made in the USA, and all their scopes are top tier for low light visibility.

Comment

I believe arrowsmith here deals in vortex. You can pm him.

Sent from my moto e5 cruise using Tapatalk

Comment

I've already had a problem with getting a Nikon warrantied, they finally, after several calls, refunded the wholesale price of the scope, as they couldn't repair it or replace it. Which was OK, but it was a kind of hassle...Weaver has also been dropped, so there could likely be support problems with those, too. I only have one Vortex scope, a diamondback, and it has been OK, so far. You can't go wrong with Leupold, though.

Comment

So ill try -

Lowest end new scopes are vx- freedom. +/- equal to the old vx-2
                      Next are vx3i. Im old school, like the old vx3s better. They are heavier built.
                      Next are the vxrs. Which are essentially a vx3 with an illuminated reticle.
                      Next is a vx5. Better glass, 5x zoom ratio.
                      Next is vx6. 6x zoom ratio.

After that are the military/tactical scopes. Mark4, etc.

So i run 3.5 x 10 x 50 vx3s on most rifles. I do have some vx5s.

As i recall, vx3 and up are all made in the US (some foreign parts). I think the vx-freedom are foreign assembled. Someone else may know better.

You can buy vx3s for 300-500 used and they have forever warranties. Best value in scopes in my opinion.

Ive bought 2 new, probably 10 used.

Comment

Thanks.

Guess if I hunt tomorrow with a rifle it will be open sights.

Really frustrated that Nikon abondoned the scope market. So much for picking a brand I felt was reliable.

Leupold I figure is one company that if they stay in business I can count on.

From ya'll post it looks like the Freedom or VX-3i

Blown away a bit. My cousin has been a diehard Leupold fan. Said he has switched to Meopta. I'll pass.

Thanks for the input.

Comment

For light magnification go with at least a 50 mm. It will make all the difference in the world seeing in low light

Comment

Originally posted by gemini2759 View Post
                            I believe arrowsmith here deals in vortex. You can pm him.

Sent from my moto e5 cruise using Tapatalk
                            Vortex no bueno.

Pretty sure Weaver is out of business or at the very least bought out. Weaver K4 was great back in the day. Ive had great luck with leuopold for normal hunting conditions.

Comment

Originally posted by hopedale View Post
                              Thanks.

Guess if I hunt tomorrow with a rifle it will be open sights.

Really frustrated that Nikon abondoned the scope market. So much for picking a brand I felt was reliable.

Leupold I figure is one company that if they stay in business I can count on.

From ya'll post it looks like the Freedom or VX-3i

Blown away a bit. My cousin has been a diehard Leupold fan. Said he has switched to Meopta. I'll pass.

Thanks for the input.
                              Meopta is the tits.

Comment

Working...
                              X