Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Did/do your kids play college sports?

Originally posted by Arrow-Tek View Post
    Your in Aledo! It’s in the water or I’m sure you have a buddy that will start them over a kid that have better talent. Money or daddy ball will get you further than talent any day. Sorry to say but your just getting started.

Lol [emoji23] ya I’m not your typical Aledo dad. hopefully it came across I think travel ball is stupid, I am not a ex pro athlete and I don’t want to burn my kids out lol. Plus I want to be able to hunt and not feel like a awful dad for missing games. I definitely see the player your describing tho, at 8 [emoji23]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by diamond10x View Post
      If your daughter truly wants it, there is always a school that needs a player. It might not be SEC or big 12 but there is always a school out there that needs a player.
      This 100%. Don’t let her get hung up D1 schools. My daughter had D1 offers but she may never have made it onto the field at some of those schools. She lettered her freshman year at a smaller school. The quality of the sport and the quality of the education (especially this) have little to do with the size of the s school.

Comment

Originally posted by Arrow-Tek View Post
        Your in Aledo! It’s in the water or I’m sure you have a buddy that will start them over a kid that have better talent. Money or daddy ball will get you further than talent any day. Sorry to say but your just getting started.

Yeah that’s not true! Usually said by people who’s kids got passed by another. If your good money or not you’ll get found and play. Most colleges are stacked with lower income kids. Actually poor if you want to go ahead and say it.

Does daddy ball occur in pee wee sports most definitely! And by all accounts more often than not, but in school ball where jobs depend on wins it fades away especially at larger winning program schools.

To the OP my son played D2 college football and received a pretty hefty scholarship. He only played football his 9th grade year and on plus worked out during the off season. He was a multi sport kid early but when baseball wanted all his time he quit, when basketball wanted all his time he quit. Those two sports want kids to make multi seasonal commitments which make playing other sports difficult as a kid.

If your kid is good and goes to a high school that puts some value into playing at the next level they will have a chance.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Sister played college volleyball. She started playing as soon as she was able, and played both school and club volleyball all the way through high school.

Brother played college football. No extra lessons or training other than a few football camps. Not a multi-sport athlete. Just a large human . He was part of a very successful program that made deep playoff runs his junior and senior year. A number of kids on that team went on to play college ball.

Comment

Wife and daughter played volleyball, son played football, I broke my back my senior year of high school and was unable to.

Comment

My son is on a scholarship to Florida to shoot. We just got done with the national tournament in San Antonio.

He started out as a HS freshman in sporting clays and now shoots 5 disciplines. He had lessons as a high school shooter but not near as much as other kids he shoots with. Mostly due to costs and availability here. Texas just don't have a lot of trap.

It's allowed us to meet great people from all over the country and visit other states. Totally different vibe than team sports

Sent from my SM-G970U using Tapatalk

Comment

I played JUCO baseball. My daughter was a D1 All American in 60m indoor hurdles. She was offered several full scholarships, but took 75% to her school of choice. After her freshman year she was given approximately 90% for the rest of her years. She started running in a summer track program at 11 years old and they quickly steered her to hurdles. We followed her everywhere. It was a lot of fun

Comment

Originally posted by diamond10x View Post
                  If your daughter truly wants it, there is always a school that needs a player. It might not be SEC or big 12 but there is always a school out there that needs a player.
                  No truer statement! To answer the OP, I played college sports, my oldest daughter played college sports and my son just sign a letter of commitment to play college football.

Work hard and play because you love the game, stay positive and be coachable. No personal trainer/coaching here, just played.

Rwc

Comment

I ran track in college back in the day. Small school athlete and played all sports. I hated running actually but apparently it was what is was best at. Got a “partial” scholarship at a DI school. After a couple of years, just wasn’t fun anymore so I gave it up.

My oldest boy played soccer at Xavier. Here are my suggestions. When little, encourage them to play all sports and make it fun. Many of the European coaches tried to get my kid to focus strictly on soccer at an early age. We balked at that. Heck in 8th grade he won the district cross country meet running for The Woodlands. During his freshman year, he decided to start concentrating on one sports (soccer). That’s when he really started getting serious. He had played higher level soccer for many years but at this point, he joined what was then a US Developmental Academy team. Played year round and couldn’t even play high school soccer. We chose this route because most of the D1 coaches were watching this league and not high school.

With this said, it got expensive. League games in KC, Denver and Minnesota. Also many showcase events to get seen by recruiters. He got multiple offers but although being his select team Captain, none of them were full rides. Just won’t happen in many “non revenue” boys sports. Although he was a 4 year starter and 2 time team captain, we basically had “discussions” with the coaches every year about $$. Since those coaches only got so much scholarship $, they had to spread it around. In the end, I think we ended up paying about what I would have to send him to a state school for a private, out of state education.

Was it worth it? Probably have to ask him. Got a good education, including MBA. Met some great friends and played 5 years (Covid year) of high level soccer which he loved. We enjoyed traveling the country, seeing various school where he played and wouldn’t changed a thing.

On the flip side, scholarships for non revenue sports are much more available because of Title nine. Something to consider.

Comment

Both of mine had a scholarship. One was a gymnast the other football/track. Both understood grab that education, made so many friends, connections and so busy stayed out of trouble. I never forced them into to anything it was their choice, but I supported as a parent should. It prepared them well for success in the real world. Son is an engineer for Nasa and daughter is a professor at a state university. So proud.

Comment

Daughter played golf at WTAMU on Full Scholarship. She had lots lessons.

Comment

I played college football back in the 70's. I played all sports in high school and workout consisted of hauling water melons, hauling hay, catching chickens at night and roofing in the morning until the shingles got to hot. In today's sports society you probably need to concentrate on only 1 or maybe 2 sports at the most. Some people are natural athletes. If they aren't dedicated And willing to make sacrifices to be great your wasting their time and your money.

Comment

My youngest son went to college on athletic and academic scholarships. Played football.

Comment

I played golf at A&M. Spent my freshman year of high school at IMG academy in Florida. Played all the sports growing up but decided to focus on golf in high school. Lots of lessons.

Comment

My son isn't old enough yet but my niece is playing d2 softball on a full ride. My sister in law invested a lot of time and money in the past to get my niece there. It's paying off now.

My son in 8 and does youth track and youth football. We put him with a throw coach for shotput last year and it added almost 2 feet to his distance. We're scheduled for the coach again this year. Also when the time comes he'll be in football camps and such.

Comment

Working...
                                X