Help WTB a traditional/recurve bow

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

My 22-yr old son will be graduating in the Fall and would like a nice recurve bow (complete setup) for his graduation present. While I have bow hunted since 1984, I have only used compound bows, so I have no experience with brands, materials of construction, the whole 9 yards in recurves.
    He has been using a recurve for the past 2 years, which he purchased from a pawn shop near Ruston (he goes to La Tech). Since he doesn’t need a truck, a new rifle, shotgun, etc., I’d like to buy him a nice bow and would like to hear what the GS have to say.

Budget open but I am assuming I could get him bow, arrows, quiver, what he needs for $3K or less.

My son is approximately 6' 3" tall, 200 - lb.

Thanks

How nice do you want? I have an Acadian Woods that is probably the prettiest bow I have ever owned. He makes pure art that shoots fantastic. Check out his facebook or website.

Comment

Thanks, nice looking bow

I'll have to ask him if this is the style he wants?

Also I do not know if a 60-in, or the 28-in. draw length is correct. I'm a 29-in. draw length and I know his arms are longer than mine. Have to talk to my son and find out.

Comment

I'd glance at Randy Madden's Primal Tech bows. Beautiful creations as well as fast and quiet. I've shot none better.

Sent from my Nokia XR20 using Tapatalk

Comment

Primal Tech or Bob Lee are a couple of top Texas bowyers to check out. At 6’3” he’s going to have an above average draw length,..would consider 64” or 66” (leaning 66”) bow length for stability and low stack.

If he’s never shot trad,.. wouldn’t go over 45# and would recommend closer to 40#. Sounds like an awesome grad gift..

Comment

Good suggestions above. 28” is the standard used for measuring the draw weight on a trad bow. ie: 45lbs @28”. For every 1 inch under or over 28, you subtract or add 2 - 2 1/2lbs. Some bows will be a little different in the pounds lost or added from 28, but that’s a rough example. If he has a 30” draw, a 40lb bow will probably draw closer to 45+ at his draw length.

Comment

Wagstaff Archery and Bob Sarrels are two other good Texas bowyers.

Comment

Thanks for all the info

Comment

Bob Lee, Big Stick Bows,Omega Long bows are all good choices.

Comment

I have a Sarrels, a Wagstaff, and a Dryad. They’re all great. Wagstaff and Dryad/Stalker have websites, but it’s best to call Sarrels.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

My suggestion would be to ask him what he would like. A “good” bow is a very personal thing, and each different person prefers different bows. If he has been shooting for 2 years, he probably has seen some other bows at shoots or shops and has some kind of idea of what he would like to own for himself.

For me, Sarrels or Primal Tech are my bows of choice, with the Primal Tech being my current favorite.

Bisch

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Comment

Being partial to Bear I would search out Kodiak.

Comment

Working...
                        X