No announcement yet.

2023 Gardening Thread

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I've got my garden tilled and ready. Seeds have been started in the garage.

I'm planting onions this weekend.

Comment

Originally posted by eradicator View Post
      I guess nobody plants Kentucky Wonders anymore? Usually what I plant in the spring if I grow green beans. Blue Lake in the fall if I plant them. I have limited space so green beans are down the list, but I get a notion now and then For those that grow Contenders, how prolific are they compared to other types? And what are the other benefits.....taste, space, etc?
      Don’t have the personal experience with contenders but we plan to try a row (double row in fact). I will put down drip tape, the cover it with my high arch wheel hoe. That will leave me a furrow on either side of the drip tape. Plan to see the beans in both furrows, cover them, then put my trellis between the rows. Twice the plants per garden row. We are only limited in space because I’ve sworn to stop expanding the dang garden every year!!

Comment

Originally posted by salth2o View Post
        I've got my garden tilled and ready. Seeds have been started in the garage.

I'm planting onions this weekend.

Do you use a grow light in the garage?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by Michael View Post
          I just picked up about 3 yards of mushroom compost to mix into my native soil.

How would a person know
          If this would be beneficial for their garden? I’ve heard some soils like this can make it too ‘hot’ with nutrients.

Comment

The mushrooms consume most of the nutrients. It’s more for compost and enriching sandy soil.

Comment

2023 Gardening Thread

Originally posted by txtimetravler View Post
              Do you use a grow light in the garage?

No. I have a window I keep the plants near.

My neighbors kid has a grow light, but I don’t think we’re growing the same thing. [emoji3]

Comment

Originally posted by salth2o View Post
                No. I have a window I keep the plants near.

My neighbors kid has a grow light, but I don’t think we’re growing the same thing. [emoji3]

Haha.
                Gotcha. No windows in my garage so I’ll go the route of your neighbors kid….organic okra of course

Comment

Originally posted by PhotonSlinger View Post
                  What kind of green beans does everybody like to plant?
                  Blue lake bush. High yielding, delicious beans. Not too stringy

Comment

Looks like I’ll add Blue Lake to the list this year. I had a poor crop a while back, but could have been me.

Comment

Originally posted by SaltwaterSlick View Post
                      Don’t have the personal experience with contenders but we plan to try a row (double row in fact). I will put down drip tape, the cover it with my high arch wheel hoe. That will leave me a furrow on either side of the drip tape. Plan to see the beans in both furrows, cover them, then put my trellis between the rows. Twice the plants per garden row. We are only limited in space because I’ve sworn to stop expanding the dang garden every year!!

Post your results please sir.

Comment

Originally posted by Michael View Post
                        I just picked up about 3 yards of mushroom compost to mix into my native soil.

You in Madisonville? Is it still $10 a load?

Comment

This is in Gonzales. It was free, but they said I had to load it with a shovel. I was about 1/5th in when a guy with a front end loader came by, scooped a bucket full and finished the job for me!

My Flickr Photos

Comment

Originally posted by txtimetravler View Post
                            How would a person know
                            If this would be beneficial for their garden? I’ve heard some soils like this can make it too ‘hot’ with nutrients.

As indicated, I don’t think this is as “hot” as typical compost. I did a (at home) soil test last week, which indicated I was pretty deficient in N and P. I will mix the compost in with the existing soil at about 1/3 compost to soil and then maybe apply a thin top dressing after I plant.

My Flickr Photos

Comment

Spring

Elms, tallow & mulberry gettin leaves, Got ragweed aready needin some weed killer, Intellicast predicting low in the 50's for the next 10 days, well into March. Time to plant the garden! Have a few spots tilled and ready for corn and tomatoes. Have cukes, maters & pepper plants in the greenhouse ready to go. It's time!

Comment

How many plants do y’all plant roughly? I was looking through a few guides for a family of 4 and as I plant the seeds, it feels like I’m feeding an army. I don’t want to over do it but not come up really short either.

Comment

Working...
                                X