Trapping Season 2022-2023

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Trapping Season 2022-2023

Might as well start it off. Got this pup gyp on a road near a hog carcass that I placed 2 days ago.
    Got her on James Lucero JL#1 and a coyote dropping at a flat set.
    Also caught her in an antique Triumph #4 dls.

Click image for larger version

Name:	20220926_040937.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	132.2 KB
ID:	25292903

Name:	20220926_041011.jpg
Size:	127.3 KB
ID:	25292904

Name:	20220926_041107.jpg
Size:	163.1 KB
ID:	25292905

The set that got her. A little wobble hole with JL#1 on cotton stuffed in.
    Coyote dropping from about 10 feet away, with a coyote urine spray.

Name:	20220924_181236.jpg
Size:	168.2 KB
ID:	24693045

Comment

Good start

Comment

Heck yea !! Good job!!

I’ve been scouting some new ground I just took on. 650acres and it’s loaded with cat tracks. Literally every road has cat tracks down it. A few coyote and fox tracks but I’ve never seen so many cat tracks. Looks like I’ll need to brush up on my cat sets.

Comment

Hog carcass is gone thanks to the buzzards and cattle are going to be moved onto my part of the ranch.
          I only had five sets left, on that carcass. Gonna pull tomorrow or possibly this afternoon.
          I'll keep my DPs going.

Comment

Brute,,, well done making that coyotes life short! I kicked off trapping season last week on a coyote that’s been killing deer and exotics on a small high fence place. The owner is convinced that it’s loaded with coyotes, but from the tracks it’s just one big male and a pup or two. (He caught the female in a snare) I’m trying out some new m44 bait that’s supposed to be very good in the warmer weather months, if it pans out I’ll pass it along. I know y’all probably don’t run m44s, but can apply a good bite and pull instinct to your steel trap sets.

Comment

Interested in the bait. Trapper.

Comment

Originally posted by Trapper76 View Post
                Brute,,, well done making that coyotes life short! I kicked off trapping season last week on a coyote that’s been killing deer and exotics on a small high fence place. The owner is convinced that it’s loaded with coyotes, but from the tracks it’s just one big male and a pup or two. (He caught the female in a snare) I’m trying out some new m44 bait that’s supposed to be very good in the warmer weather months, if it pans out I’ll pass it along. I know y’all probably don’t run m44s, but can apply a good bite and pull instinct to your steel trap sets.
                Sounds interesting ! Is the bait a food, mating or curiosity sent ?

Comment

Well I got the coyotes killed, but not with the new bait I had high hopes for. I gave the new stuff a few days with no luck so I pulled out the special reserve (James Mast #6) James Mast was a legendary wolf and coyote trapper that I believe died in the 1920s. Lowell Zellars had the recipe for his bait and I got the last of it in 2010. I sure wish I could still get it, I would buy a 55gal drum. Lowell stopped making the bait when they shut down horse slaughter houses and he couldn’t get the ingredients he needed. I had a guy tell me he bought some jm#6 last year from a trapping supply, but he didn’t have much luck with it. It can’t be the same stuff Lowell made, because that would not be the case.
                  Attached Files

Comment

Well I got the coyotes killed, but not with the new bait I had high hopes for. I gave the new stuff a few days with no luck so I pulled out the special reserve (James Mast #6) James Mast was a legendary wolf and coyote trapper that I believe died in the 1920s. Lowell Zellars had the recipe for his bait and I got the last of it in 2010. I sure wish I could still get it, I would buy a 55gal drum. Lowell stopped making the bait when they shut down horse slaughter houses and he couldn’t get the ingredients he needed. I had a guy tell me he bought some jm#6 last year from a trapping supply, but he didn’t have much luck with it. It can’t be the same stuff Lowell made, because that would not be the case.
                    Nice work! How far did they go ?

Comment

Originally posted by sharkhunter View Post
                      Nice work! How far did they go ?
                      Ditto.

Comment

Almost the same distance for all 3. Around 40yards.

Comment

One thing I want to mention as far as bait. I only run maybe 6 different baits a year on my line. 3/4 of those are tried and true with a couple of new to me baits mixed in. I’ve seen it when one bait will be on fire killing a bunch of coyotes and it will fall off and another bait starts be more effective. I have no idea why, but it’s like a switch. The reason I say this is if you try using something that has been very effective by other trappers and you haven’t had much luck don’t give up on it, it may just not be the right time.

Comment

One thing I want to mention as far as bait. I only run maybe 6 different baits a year on my line. 3/4 of those are tried and true with a couple of new to me baits mixed in. I’ve seen it when one bait will be on fire killing a bunch of coyotes and it will fall off and another bait starts be more effective. I have no idea why, but it’s like a switch. The reason I say this is if you try using something that has been very effective by other trappers and you haven’t had much luck don’t give up on it, it may just not be the right time.
                            How do you know to switch?
                            Do you run several simultaneously, or is it experience?

Comment

I run them all simultaneously and keep good records so I know when a bait gets hot. I’ll run thru the list and use the bait evenly, so I have the same amount of each one in the field at any given time. I have about a dozen baits that I use, I’ll run half those one year and swap to the others the next year. M44 baits are a little different than a bait for steel traps, the coyote has to bite and pull on it. I’m always looking for the magic concoction that they have to pull and can’t resist, still haven’t found it, but occasionally will find a new one to throw in the mix. With the exception of 2 of the newer baits I use, the others have been commercially produce for 20+ years. Some much longer than that. I have had some coyotes that will not pull an m44, it’s rare but it happens. I think in most cases it’s because the wise coyote was watching when their mate pulled the m44 and was killed. The reason I believe this because while trapping small high fence places, there’s been times when there’s only one pair on the property. I’ll kill one coyote(usually the male) in the first night or two, the other wont pull the m44 no matter what it’s baited with. I believe the same thing happens with steel trap sets, and why it’s important to mix it up. I run 90+% flat sets and a few others to catch the educated ones

Comment

Working...
                              X