Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Purple Martin Landlords….let’s get those houses back up!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by SaltwaterSlick View Post
    These are my sparrow thinner... they work on starlings too!

[ATTACH]1081614[/ATTACH]

[ATTACH]1081615[/ATTACH]
    Yessir….I’ve seen those things in action. You are hell on them trash birds Charlie 😂😜

Comment

[ATTACH]1081614[/ATTACH]

[ATTACH]1081615[/ATTACH]

Dang my bb gun is not working that well. Really need to wipe more starlings and house sparrows

Comment

[ATTACH]1081614[/ATTACH]

[ATTACH]1081615[/ATTACH]
        Need more info on these bird sniper rifles. Make and models plus accessories please.

Comment

I had 2 birds show up today in this great weather. Hopefully the rest from last year will show up in days to come.

Comment

Originally posted by Mudslinger View Post
            Need more info on these bird sniper rifles. Make and models plus accessories please.

Save up some funds brother is all I'll say [emoji106]

Comment

Purple Martin Landlords….let’s get those houses back up!

Still no martins here in Oak Ridge but several more sightings up here around NTx. Hopefully with the slightly warmer temps in the next few days we will see a visitor or 2.

Comment

I bet you see some today or early this week.
                Counted 6 this morning.

Comment

I've tried for 26 years to get Purple martins. wood, metal and plastic boxes. Never had martins stay and nest. I'm in what should be perfect area in West DFW area, 11 acers of pasture open around box, I've tried 10', 12' and 15' heights. They come check box but have never stayed and nested. Starlings always took over on wood boxes, have metal box last 6 yrs no starlings but no martins.

Comment

Originally posted by coop2564 View Post
                    I've tried for 26 years to get Purple martins. wood, metal and plastic boxes. Never had martins stay and nest. I'm in what should be perfect area in West DFW area, 11 acers of pasture open around box, I've tried 10', 12' and 15' heights. They come check box but have never stayed and nested. Starlings always took over on wood boxes, have metal box last 6 yrs no starlings but no martins.
                    You have a water source (pond/lake) nearby?

Comment

Originally posted by Rubi513 View Post
                      Yes in my pasture. Golf coarse across street with multiple ponds

Comment

Originally posted by Rubi513 View Post

Yes in my pasture. Golf coarse across street with multiple ponds

Weird deal. I've heard of the same thing though. Just doesn't make sense really. I feel lucky to have had success my first year.

Coop, not to be insensitive but if you decide to give up and want to get rid of any of the housing let me know.

Comment

When I bought this house with 7 acres it had a 12 compartment metal PM house in the back yard, but I've never seen birds of any kind use it. It has a telescoping pole and was most of the way down, probably 7-8' off the ground. Logan and I just went out and cleaned it out after reading this thread. There was one bird nest in one compartment, one or two were empty and the others had a handful of pine needles in each of the others. We raised it to 13'. Hopefully they will start using it.

Sent from my SM-N975U1 using Tapatalk

Comment

Should the openings be east- west, north- south, or does it make any difference? Mine was north-south but I just turned it E/W. The pond is 30 yards NE of the PM house.

Comment

Originally posted by Keith View Post
                              When I bought this house with 7 acres it had a 12 compartment metal PM house in the back yard, but I've never seen birds of any kind use it. It has a telescoping pole and was most of the way down, probably 7-8' off the ground. Logan and I just went out and cleaned it out after reading this thread. There was one bird nest in one compartment, one or two were empty and the others had a handful of pine needles in each of the others. We raised it to 13'. Hopefully they will start using it.

Good for you Keith. That house is an original version Coates or Birds Choice house like the newer ones I put up this year. My research shows they are solid, well built martin houses that should last a long time.

The older original ones like your’s had round holes but the newer ones have crescent shaped “starling resistant” entrances. One of the knocks is round entrances attract unwanted birds like starlings, sparrows and even woodpeckers. Idk if Coates sells an aftermarket “round to crescent” hole conversion piece? You might call them or research. If you don’t or can’t swap them out just be mindful to watch out for intruders that will take up residence. That will be detrimental to the purple martins wanting to nest.

In terms of the orientation of the openings I’m not sure it matters to be honest. Our cold temps the past week aren’t indicative of what we normally deal with….obviously.

Good luck and keep us informed. [emoji106]

Comment

Hey Keith...another thing to consider is to add a snake/predator guard to the pole. I didn't have one last year and I fear I lost some fledglings to a snake. They work mostly at night of course and I have a pond (like you) with plenty around.

I found one that is simple easy to build. I built 2 new ones last weekend.
                                purple martins, purple martin, purple, martins, martin, bird, birds, birding, nest, nests, nesting, gourd, gourds, house, houses, housing

Comment

Working...
                                X