Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Purple Martin Landlords….let’s get those houses back up!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Why do the houses have to be way up in the air? Is there a best height?

Comment

Originally posted by Rubi513 View Post
      How is the guy that had the head injury doing?

Sent a pm
      Thanks

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Purple Martin Landlords….let’s get those houses back up!

Originally posted by Kingfisher789 View Post
        Why do the houses have to be way up in the air? Is there a best height?

The way I understand it is they need room to leave, swoop down and gain some speed quickly to avoid predatory birds. They recommend at least 10' high off the ground.

Comment

No scouts yet at my place. Only have one house up so far... two more to go...

For sparrow and martin control, I have my houses all oriented in such a way that I can shoot the sparrows/starlings off the porches/perches without shooting the houses... Plus that orientation makes it so all the openings are either East or West... no north or south facing holes.

On a side note, it appears the bluebirds have recovered nicely from last year's big freeze... Have about 4 pairs hanging around the houses in the back yard... the bluebird houses are singles and only about 18" above my cedar fence... The martin boxes are about 12 feet above them.

Comment

I usually have scouts about this time. My house is up and ready just need to hit the coast and find out.

Comment

Ironic for me to see this thread today. I just gave away this one I inherited with the house. We have turkeys, geese, mallards, woodpeckers and others to watch. No motivation to get this one up and running. Have not seen a bird touch it since we’ve been here.

Comment

Comment

Bedtime but tagged for tomorrow

Comment

Originally posted by TexaRican View Post
                    Ironic for me to see this thread today. I just gave away this one I inherited with the house. We have turkeys, geese, mallards, woodpeckers and others to watch. No motivation to get this one up and running. Have not seen a bird touch it since we’ve been here.

Oh man, I would have taken it off your hands.
                    They might have caught hell from other predator birds like owls and hawks that hang out in those hardwoods.

Comment

Originally posted by RascalArms View Post
                      Oh man, I would have taken it off your hands.
                      They might have caught hell from other predator birds like owls and hawks that hang out in those hardwoods.

Yep, we have resident owls right there and pretty frequent hawks. Pretty cool to see a hawk pick of a squirrel now and then. There is a purple Martin guru in our hood who was telling me all the things I need to do and I’m just not motivated for it lol.

Comment

I actually hope the martins stay a little further south for now. We have some freezing temps up here over the next week.

Comment

2 sightings of scouts up here in Ntx today around Poetry and Red Oak. Any TBHers have any visitors yet?

Comment

I had 2 show up today.

Comment

Originally posted by Rubi513 View Post
                              I had 2 show up today.

That's awesome Justin. Congrats [emoji106][emoji106]

Comment

Ok if my gourds are free hanging or need to be rigid? Seems the birds are going to have a heck of a ride first time the wind kicks up.

Comment

Working...
                                X