Chasing #28!!!!! Polar Bear

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by chrisgunguy View Post
    Awesome. Best of luck. Stay safe as others have mentioned. Is your partner in crime going with or is she staying back this trip?

Heck no!!!! She hates the cold and thinks it is absolutely freezing when we deer hunt and it's less than 60 degrees.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Comment

Originally posted by Slew View Post
      Good luck! Thanks for taking us along! Might hafta smoke your victory cigar inside!

Do people live there by choice or are they taking you to some way off remote wilderness to chase this bear? I couldn't imagine living anywhere that cold, course they probably say the same about 100 degree Texas summers!

I have an unopened bottle of Pappy at the house. I thought about taking a flask to celebrate. But, I already have too much weight going and would hate for it to spill in my bags. Also, the hunt information packet said absolutely don't bring any alcohol out on the ice and even more absolutely don't give any alcohol to the guides!!!!!!

Comment

This will be an epic adventure. Can't wait for updates!

Comment

Originally posted by docmay View Post

Ran home to pack a few things at lunch. I decided that if I am going to eat whale blubber and seal meat I might as well season it!!!!! Put some of this stuff in a little medicine tube.

Maktak with a little soy sauce and wasabi is really good

I have had rendered seal oil, but don't think I remember seal meat

The walrus is unique. The meat and fat taste completely different. The fat tasted like fish

Everything I had in Barrow at the traditional meals was uncooked since they don't have wood.

Hopefully they will bring some things for you to try out

Comment

Originally posted by Aggie PhD View Post
            Maktak with a little soy sauce and wasabi is really good

I have had rendered seal oil, but don't think I remember seal meat

The walrus is unique. The meat and fat taste completely different. The fat tasted like fish

Everything I had in Barrow at the traditional meals was uncooked since they don't have wood.

Hopefully they will bring some things for you to try out
            Did you work at the science center in barrow or what?

Comment

We had a polar bear kill a mom and kid right outside the village school in January of this year here in Alaska. Surely the guides are strapped in case them things come into camp or get away from the dogs. Listening to north slope old timers they talk about them things hiding outside/between buildings to ambush workers and residents. Keep that head on a swivel!

Comment

Just spoke to the other hunter that will be traveling up north with me. He is an orthopedic surgeon from Arizona. Also chasing the 29 and has 5-6 to go. Should be fun!!!!

Comment

Originally posted by diamond10x View Post
                  We had a polar bear kill a mom and kid right outside the village school in January of this year here in Alaska. Surely the guides are strapped in case them things come into camp or get away from the dogs. Listening to north slope old timers they talk about them things hiding outside/between buildings to ambush workers and residents. Keep that head on a swivel!
                  I will do the best I can and try hard to not do anything dumb. I am putting my faith in my Inuit guides. Have been around them before and they are as tough as it comes!

Comment

Originally posted by diamond10x View Post
                    Did you work at the science center in barrow or what?
                    My dissertation was on the genetics of bowhead whales and setting of the harvest quota for the Bering-Chukchi-Beaufort population. I worked with the scientists at the North Slope Borough (Craig George and Robert Suydam).

Craig and Robert sent me harvested whale tissues from multiple years from all of the different villages on the Slope and Savoonga.

As a thank you, they brought us to Barrow for the Alaska Eskimo Whaling Commission Captain's meeting in 2008. Barrow in February....

Craig took me out on a tour of the via snow machine. Got to wear a bunch of the gear that Doc will be wearing this week. I was given a shotgun in case we ran across a problem bear

Comment

I spoke with the two guys who did the first hunt. They were there about 2 weeks ago. One killed on day 3 and the other on day 6. Said it was cold but doable. They did mention that it sucked when the wind blew!!!!!! Should be an adventure. Done with clinic. Just call and packing to go.

Comment

I have three friends that have done this trip. Two had really bad life threatening events. All three got bears. I'll be watching this one!

Comment

Awesome Doc! Looking forward to reading about your adventure! Good luck my man!

Sent from my Pixel 3a using Tapatalk

Comment

Going to save this for a victory dance when I get home!!!!! Hopefully I'll be toasting a big white bear in a couple of weeks. Packed and ready! Well, as ready as I can be.

Comment

We’ll be rooting for you.

Comment

Originally posted by docmay View Post

Going to save this for a victory dance when I get home!!!!! Hopefully I'll be toasting a big white bear in a couple of weeks. Packed and ready! Well, as ready as I can be.

I’m living vicariously through you, Doc! These are quest I’ll never get around to, but it’s fun to follow along!

Comment

Working...
                                X