No announcement yet.

My New Pond - looking for more ideas and knowledge

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Looking forward to the progress, I'm jealous.

Comment

Originally posted by Spearchunker View Post
      I do have enough with several rains needed. I am impatient and want it full now lol.

Yes Black Bass only is the plan. I will cull anything else caught except bait fish.

I'll start pumping from the creek this week, I will post some pics when we start.

We disked in 90 tons of Bentonite, so hopefully she holds!
      Patience grasshopper.....

You would need to drain it down to use rotenone unless you want to pay $$$$ for enough chemical to do the whole BOW.

Last edited by BrianL; 03-22-2023, 01:32 PM.

Comment

WOW! That's awesome!

Comment

Nice! I wish more folks thought it through and did it right like this. I hope yall are slamming big bass in a few years!

ac

Comment

We put a bunch of lay down big logs along the full level edge
            Guaranteed strikes there!

Turner Seed has some “tank dam seed mix. I would try that now that winter is over
            Erosion on my steep banks is killing me.

Sorry to hear about your gravel leak. I was blessed to have clay, but my small stack tank is only 11-12’

Can’t tell from the photos, but lots of very shallow water might help your baitfish
            Our bass walked thru them.

Comment

Dang. Your asking us? . Following. Nice start.

Comment

Bump for good rain so far!

Comment

If you are only going to stock one sex of bass, I recommend you do females and not males. The females get 2x + the size of the males.

Comment

We are pumping water!! Tomorrow I will mount pump and larger fuel tank up. This way I can let it run unattended for a day or so.

I reworked the structures and have 10 more tons of pea gravel coming tomorrow. I will spread over the 2-3' flats.
                    Attached Files

Comment

Following along. Looks great! I don't want to know the price tag cause I'll just get upset about the little mudhole I'm planning. Thanks for letting us tag along.

Comment

Looks good, but that 3 inch pump is going to take months to fill it up. Hopefully big rain coming with El Niño on the way

Comment

Originally posted by RMW View Post
                          Looks good, but that 3 inch pump is going to take months to fill it up. Hopefully big rain coming with El Niño on the way
                          We will see. I calculated about 10k gallons per hour with energy loss due to 400' run. Pump is 16k per hour on 50' hose. 240k gallons a 24 hour period is lots of water.

Comment

Nice, one day I will have to do this . . .

Comment

VERY nice! I'm planning to build a small pond (or, mud hole, as Bobby suggested!), but it will undoubtedly pale in comparison to this! Hopefully you get it filled quickly!
                              My Flickr Photos

Comment

You should be 5-6M gallons for it to fill with an average depth of 8'. Should be some more rain later this week to help! After you get the water in, one option is feed trained bass as well as Hybrid striped bass, (HSB) are a blast to catch. Pull 2x what a largemouth does. They also don't reproduce, so maintaining your balance of bait fish I little easier. But they are a catch:restock fish. That can be a vet good thing. It takes 10# of bait fish for a bass to grow 1#...

Sent from my SM-G970U using Tapatalk

Comment

Working...
                                X