No announcement yet.

turkey hunting in may

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Just got back from a youth weekend hunt in rocksprings. They were gobbling but could not get them to commit to calls they shut off by 9 in hindsight mid to late April would have been better I just don’t ever have a free weekend then

Comment

Originally posted by Big pig View Post
      Sounds like great advice

I will say it can be very hot then. Hunted kerrville south fork ranch one yr over 100 degrees in the afternoon
      Main reason I prefer very early season.
      But bugs ( chiggers, mosquitoes and gnat) and snakes are the other reasons when hunting on the ground. I l

Killed a big rattler here yesterday so I guess that’s already on!

Anytime it gets over 80 degrees and I hear someone tell me they're going turkey hunting I instantly tell them to go buy a snake bite kit from Academy or off Amazon.

Comment

I went to Kansas a couple years ago and hunted 3 or 4 days on their last week of the season, which ends May 31. I never heard a single gobble the whole time I was there. Saw several hens out feeding but no Toms.
        Also I was hunting public land so I just figured they had already been hammered.
        Still had fun though.

Comment

you can always sit on a feeder, they start getting hungry in May

Comment

Last year I hunted rocksprings mid April and we killed 3 birds in 2 days coming to calls. We always hunt Easterns opening week and they’re usually pretty responsive and that’s late April. I Got a Merriams hunt the first week of May so this rio hunt will not be before the 10th or so. Guess we’ll see how it goes.

Comment

Originally posted by GroceryGetter View Post
              Anytime it gets over 80 degrees and I hear someone tell me they're going turkey hunting I instantly tell them to go buy a snake bite kit from Academy or off Amazon.
              So you stay indoors until December?

Comment

Originally posted by eradicator View Post
                So you stay indoors until December?
                Life is always safer next to the AC

Comment

Originally posted by GroceryGetter View Post
                  Life is always safer next to the AC
                  touche'

Comment

May has always been good for me. Sneaky mouth call will bring the big beards in till the end of May. Funny how they keep fired up for awhile

Comment

Working...
                    X