2018 LBJ Grasslands

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Turnkey View Post
    You can hunt hogs with a shotgun anytime. Also deer can be hunted with a shotgun during the general season. Buckshot is allowed. I'm not sure if slugs are permitted.

Yes, slugs are permitted for deer and hogs. So are muzzzzzzle loaders/black powder rifles.

Comment

Hunter Orange is NOTrequired during archery season. Here's the Forest Supervisor's Order with the exceptions.

Caddo and Lyndon B. Johnson (LBJ) National Grasslands
      General Prohibitions 08-13-08-12-15 Page 4

261.58(v) Hunting or accompanying a hunter during any permitted hunting season without wearing 400 square inches of daylight fluorescent orange, with a minimum of 144 square inches visible on both chest and back and daylight fluorescent headwear.

Exceptions: 1. When hunting turkey, migratory birds, fur-bearing animals
      or predatory animals at night.
      2. During archery season on Lyndon B. Johnson National Grassland.

Link: https://www.fs.usda.gov/Internet/FSE...rdb5389544.pdf

Comment

Originally posted by Froggy View Post
        Hunter Orange is NOTrequired during archery season. Here's the Forest Supervisor's Order with the exceptions.

261.58(v) Hunting or accompanying a hunter during any permitted hunting season without wearing 400 square inches of daylight fluorescent orange, with a minimum of 144 square inches visible on both chest and back and daylight fluorescent headwear.

Nice!!! Thanks for the info!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

I knew there weren't that many people disregarding the rules. Never seen an orange vest during archery season lol.

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by Rich1201 View Post
            Good to know. Surprising though. Never seen an orange vest during bow season.

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk
            Yep, orange vest AND cap must be worn. No baiting allowed.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G891A using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by Turnkey View Post
              You can hunt hogs with a shotgun anytime. Also deer can be hunted with a shotgun during the general season. Buckshot is allowed. I'm not sure if slugs are permitted.
              Slugs are legal.

Comment

Froggy, it won't be much longer and we can partake once again! "Back to the woods".

Click image for larger version

Name:	3 stooges loading.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	57.0 KB
ID:	24554653
                Last edited by Texas Grown; 09-23-2018, 07:29 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Texas Grown View Post
                  Froggy, it won't be much longer and we can partake once again! "Back to the woods".

[ATTACH]925645[/ATTACH]

At least I'll be able to slap y'all and bump both your noggins together.

Comment

Thanks for the correction. I wish all the regs were easier to find.

Comment

Originally posted by JB3 View Post
                      Yep, orange vest AND cap must be worn. No baiting allowed.

During archery hunts.. I think you can remove your orange after getting situated in blind. .

Comment

First time post here. Finally getting into bow hunting this year for deer. Going to give the grasslands a try since they’re the closest public land to me and i can’t afford to sell a limb for a lease. I alpreciate all the knowledge and advice that is shared on this thread. I’ve currently got 4 cameras out at the grasslands and seeing decent deer on em but nothing great yet. Looking forward to see what this year has to offer!

Comment

Originally posted by Huntindad View Post
                          During archery hunts.. I think you can remove your orange after getting situated in blind. .
                          See post 152. You do not have to wear orange during archery season at any time.

During the general gun season you do have to wear orange at all times even when in your stand/blind.

Comment

Originally posted by Texas Grown View Post

[ATTACH]925645[/ATTACH]
                            I don’t have enough hair to be Larry...

Comment

Well i'll be... Thank you for the correct info.
                              Good to know. Still not sure how comfortable i am about not wearing orange on public land.

Comment

The requirement for wearing orange in transit originates from ACE regulations I believe. I think it is also ACE rules that allow bow hunting without orange.. except when gun seasons are open. Since on many lands hogs can be hunted during bow season, the requirement basically means you would have to wear orange during any time except for turkey and migratory birds. I may be confusing ACE with some WMA rules but none of these apply to LBJ. The one that originally confused me was that you couldn't shoot does on USFS lands without a permit. But that applies to the forests in east Texas. LBJ AND CADDO are BLM.

Comment

Working...
                                X