Am I just gettin ole ???

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Am I just gettin ole ???

When the season started I was excited to be able to refill the freezer and have added one doe and still need another deer. I have been watching some good bucks but haven't pulled the trigger. I really don't need any more horns on the wall but need to fill the freezer.

I'm 72, so not sure if its age or just loosing interest. But I still enjoy sitting in the blind, filling feeders, camp time and the fellowship.

I think I just need a mental enema!

Its not always about the kill. I am 39 and I love all the "work" of hunting as much as the kill. I try to pick one deer out each year and target that one deer.

Comment

Well I wouldn't necessarily say old sir, but you've been around long enough to know that if you shoot one that's when the huntin stops and the work starts.

A lot leads up to putting a deer on the ground. May as well sit there and actually hunt.
      Last edited by okrattler; 12-05-2022, 10:34 AM.

Comment

Same exact thing has happened to me. I still love all aspects of the hunt, but the kill does not bring the thrill that it did when I was younger. Unless it is a really good buck my thought now is, do I really want all of the work involved once I pull the trigger. In addition, we only consume so much venison per year, so I would rather my son, my wife, or daughter-in-law pull the trigger instead of me. I just love being on stand, enjoying nature, watching deer interact with each other, and waiting for a great buck to step out, which doesn't happen often. I think as we get older and hopefully wiser, some of our interests and priorities change or modify, so I just consider it part of life for some of us. Don't get me wrong, the sight of a trophy buck ducking in and out of cover, while trying to see if he will stop long enough to give me a shot, still gets my heart pumping like it did years ago.

Comment

Nope not old. I enjoy the woods. I like being around when other people kill something. But I do love eating. So when it’s time to go grocery shopping I have no problems

Comment

i haven't shot a deer in 15 years but i still do everything i always did for the land and the camp and the camp life and the feeders (corn and protein) and the hunting. i just don't have any desire kill them anymore. i will shot a hog occasionally

55 year old male

Comment

I understand where you are coming from on losing interest in certain aspects of the hunt. Back in 2010 this occurred and I stepped away from it for 4 years and then dove back in. I still feed them and making food plots, enjoy being outdoors but again something is missing. Good luck on getting it back.

Comment

I get it. I stopped being mad at them deer when I turned 72.
                I still hate hogs cause I like my breakfast sausage too much.
                I never could figure a way to eat them horns so I mostly shot the tender ones with no horns.

Comment

I get it, but to me its not only about age...its about patience and being able to curb greed. Nothing wrong with passing on deer or shooting more does. The payoff can be very rewarding. I've seen through the years that some folks can't survive without killing a buck every year. They always "gotta get theirs"....no matter what the cost to future bigger deer for themselves or others is. I'm only 53 and don't have to kill every year and haven't. Heck I've gone three years without killing a good buck before while passing on them to hopefully get bigger. The deer in my avatar was passed for 3 seasons. The $750+ to mount them these days, sure has made me pickier as well lol. Don't get me wrong...if the right deer is there, trophy or management deer, I will pursue him with a vengeance... but if I want to fill a freezer, we've got plenty of does....

I still enjoy sitting in the blind, filling feeders, camp time and the fellowship as well. Its why I still do it.. If I don't kill a buck or even a doe each season, its not the end of the world.
                  Last edited by Smart; 12-05-2022, 11:04 AM.

Comment

I have all the same likes you have. A little work, friends, eating and sleeping. I really enjoy sitting in a ground blind and having as many deer as close to me as I can get them. I will corn right up to the blind just to see if I can get them there. Leave most all the shooting to my grandson these days. I'll whack a hog ever now and then just because.

Comment

I really need two a year to eat, I don’t kill young bucks or even does on my place or our East Texas lease there’s just not enough of them. So, far I’ve had to let two mature bucks walk because the shot wasn’t there. I’m 75, but I’m still not afraid to get my hands bloody. Fortunately for me, my processor is a twenty minute drive and all I have to do is field dress them. Now all I need is a couple to stand still in the daylight.

Comment

Yep

Attached Files

Comment

I'm 72, have been hunting hard all season. I'm in Georgia though. I've had the scope on 20 or more deer, no shots fired. If a nice buck shows, he will have a bad day. I just can't seem to get fired up about a doe or a younger buck. I must be getting old, I prefer pig hunting now. None of them need another year.

Comment

I'm 33 and it's not about the kill for me, we still need at least 2 deer to make it through the year. I like all the work leading up to the season, then once the season is here I like to be in stand any chance I can. I usally pick one old buck from game cameras pictures and say that's the only deer I'll shoot, if I see him, but most seasons I don't. My son is 10 and is willing to shoot any deer that he is allowed to, so that's how we fill the freezer. He may shoot deer that is younger and that has not reached its full potential yet, but that's ok. As long as he is in the woods with me and enjoying it. I imagine he will grow out of this and be more conservative like I am, then we will really be in trouble for meat.

Comment

Working...
                            X