Sink hole needs fixing HELP!!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I have a sink hole that has appeared in my front yard. I've contacted the city, but they have given me the run around as to it's not from the water or septic so good luck. My question is Who do I contact to get this thing fixed cause it's about 6 feet deep and I don't know how wide, the opening could swallow a small dog at this point. I am worried about it getting to be a danger to the kids in the neighborhood and what liability I would have if someone got hurt.

Any advice or direction on who to contact to fix it would be great.

Originally posted by Aggiehuntress View Post
    I have a sink hole that has appeared in my front yard. I've contacted the city, but they have given me the run around as to it's not from the water or septic so good luck. My question is Who do I contact to get this thing fixed cause it's about 6 feet deep and I don't know how wide, the opening could swallow a small dog at this point. I am worried about it getting to be a danger to the kids in the neighborhood and what liability I would have if someone got hurt.

Any advice or direction on who to contact to fix it would be great.

Your location says CSTAT.. is this sinkhole in CSTAT? If so what dept did you contact? We haven’t gotten a service call for sink hole in alittle while. I work for CoCS [emoji2371]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Last edited by Hoggwild; 12-01-2022, 12:50 PM.

Comment

I would contact gas company

Comment

Oh my!! That's crazy, Amanda! Who did you talk to at the city?

And, we want pictures!

Comment

I contacted the City of College Station in the public works, they checked it first because I know of an old storm drain that runs through the middle of my yard too. they said it was not that but could be the sewer, so they had the sewer guys come out to check but stated it was not due to the sewer either. I asked who to contact but they had no clue, and I pretty much got a good luck. I live inside 2818 between the high school and South knoll.

Is there someone else I should contact?

Dusty Britches: I will take picts tonight of the current opening and the depth but dont have any on my phone currently and am afraid to open it without knowing how to fix the darn thing.

Comment

Contact local news.... that will gain the right persons attention.

Comment

If you have a storm sewer more than likely the pipes have a separation on one of the joints. Contact your county commissioners office and report it. It’s not a hard fix most of the time they will mudjack the sinkhole with a concrete slurry and backfill it with dirt.

Comment

Call 811 and get your property marked for utilities. It’s free. If there are flags leading up to the hole on both sides you’ll know who it belongs to. If it’s a storm drain no one will locate it but it will be the city’s or possible a hoa’s responsibility to fix.

Comment

This is the hole, the area around it has dropped about 6 inches or so.

Click image for larger version

Name:	20221201_170321.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	367.3 KB
ID:	24700268

The current size of the hole next to my size 9 ladies
                  Click image for larger version

Name:	20221201_170332.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	287.0 KB
ID:	24700270

The hole is about 4 feet deep from the lip but about 5 foot total from where it should be. Yes that is my water pipe from the meter in the right side of the hole
                  [ATTACH]1111278[/ATTACH]

I probed around a little with the measuring tape and it seems to be a straight drop, about 1.5 feet wide.

Comment

No water down in the hole?

Comment

Other than what we got a few days ago no. Had a bad leak a few years ago but no leakage since.

Comment

Looks like the hole is in line with your water meter. Could be a void in the earth around the city water line causing it to cave in. Fill it up with dirt and see if it gets bigger.

Comment

On your water meter there should be a tiny little leak detector dial. Take a look at it. If it is moving and there is no water on in the house, you have a leak. Just based on the pics, i'd bet on a water line leak. How old is the house?

Comment

Originally posted by Aggiehuntress View Post
                            Other than what we got a few days ago no. Had a bad leak a few years ago but no leakage since.
                            Was the previous leak in this same area?

Comment

It appears that is a result of your previous leak. Just need to get some dirt and fill it in. That shouldn’t be the City’s responsibility.

Comment

Working...
                              X