First time shooter

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

First time shooter

I picked up a older Ben Pearson rouge 45@28” from another member. Got home and couldn’t help my self to give it a go. Grabbed my compound arrows and flung a few at 10-12 yards. Think I had some beginners luck!

I need to order some arrows and a new shelf pad to get going. Is there anyone in the San Antonio/seguin area that is experienced at shooting a recurve that would be willing to teach me the ways of the recurve? These things are ADDICTIVE!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Welcome to the obsession that is traditional archery!

Sent from my Nokia XR20 using Tapatalk

Comment

Awesome! Those sight pins should help immensely.
      Great shooting MrTurkey.
      Keep on keepin on.

Comment

Thanks! I’m ready to dive in head first now. Can’t wait for the day I’m confident enough to shoot at a critter.

Comment

Originally posted by Briar Friar View Post
          Awesome! Those sight pins should help immensely.
          Great shooting MrTurkey.
          Keep on keepin on.
          Actually removed them, I couldn’t figure out how to aim with them and started shooting some what instinctive I guess. Obviously plastic vanes and un tuned arrows aren’t helpful to me but I couldn’t just wait to get the right stuff.

Comment

Originally posted by BLACKFINTURKEY View Post
            Actually removed them, I couldn’t figure out how to aim with them and started shooting some what instinctive I guess. Obviously plastic vanes and un tuned arrows aren’t helpful to me but I couldn’t just wait to get the right stuff.
            I had a Wing Archery recurve that I used to play with. Up to 12 yards I was deadly, after that it all fell apart. There literally was no telling where the arrow was going ! I don’t have the patience to do that anymore…..

Comment

If that is a feather rest on the bow, you can probably use the vanes if you get them timed correctly. I'm guessing that they are way too stiff, though.

Comment

Great shooting blackfin!

Comment

Originally posted by 60 Deluxe View Post
                  If that is a feather rest on the bow, you can probably use the vanes if you get them timed correctly. I'm guessing that they are way too stiff, though.
                  It had a bear fit rest which the vanes ripped off.. got some new arrows ordered and a few other things the bow needed. It has no nock point on the string also got a new rest and striker plate.

Comment

It had a bear fit rest which the vanes ripped off.. got some new arrows ordered and a few other things the bow needed. It has no nock point on the string also got a new rest and striker plate.
                    You probably had something laying around the house that would work for a rest and strike plate. I've used old shoe leather, the fuzzy side of velcro, felt, old toothbrushes....

Comment

You probably had something laying around the house that would work for a rest and strike plate. I've used old shoe leather, the fuzzy side of velcro, felt, old toothbrushes....

You can use a piece of dental floss to tie on a nock point.

Comment

You can use a piece of dental floss to tie on a nock point.
                        Man I didn’t think of that I’ll have to remember those tips thanks.

Comment

Man I didn’t think of that I’ll have to remember those tips thanks.
                          I live a long way from any archery shop that sells trad supplies. I suppose that I put in an order for some points and a dozen arrows about once a year. Let the UPS guy bring it to me. Next up, you should learn how to twist up a decent Flemish twist string and learn how to fletch your own arrows. A guy needs something to do when the wind is blowing or it's raining outside.

Comment

I live a long way from any archery shop that sells trad supplies. I suppose that I put in an order for some points and a dozen arrows about once a year. Let the UPS guy bring it to me. Next up, you should learn how to twist up a decent Flemish twist string and learn how to fletch your own arrows. A guy needs something to do when the wind is blowing or it's raining outside.
                            I fletch and cut my compound arrows already so that shouldn’t be an issue. Now tying a bow string might be another story.

Comment

How did the sight pins attach to the riser and how did they adjust?

Looks like the top pin is furthest set out from the riser and the bottom pin is closest.
                              I may be wrong but to me:
                              Its interesting to see that in the previous owners sight pin setting, their further distance pins show their arrows drifted right. This couldve been a sign of a weak arrow or fletching rotation causing drift. Both normal occurances for me.

Comment

Working...
                              X