Heros among us

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Heros among us

I never saw this coming, but my life has taken off in a new direction. I'm not complaining at all, but I'll attribute all this to Konnor. He has zero interest in hunting, but does love the outdoors and has showed a passion for Scouts. Without realizing it, the stuff that consumes me now, is Scouts.

Anyway, the pack had our fall campout the weekend of October 20th. I was sitting at a picnic table, preparing the campfire program when one of my scouts (Tyler) came up from behind, tapped me on the shoulder and mouthed that he was choking. This kid is always clowning around, so I turned and asked him if he was really choking. He nodded, with a look of panic in his eyes.

Before I could even get up off the bench, my assistant Cubmaster (Herc) came up from behind him and put both arms around his abdomen. He then asked Tyler if he was choking. As soon as he nodded, Herc started the Heimlich. Four thrusts later Tyler coughed up a water bottle cap. He had opened the bottle with his teeth and somehow swallowed the cap.

I've read up on all the awards for both scouts and adult leaders so as soon as we got back, I started the paperwork. At our next pack meeting on November 14th, the nomination had been reviewed and two district representatives came to help me present Herc with the Medal of Merit. It is an award for saving a life.

I've done a LOT of training as an adult leader, been nominated for 2 different leadership awards and collected five different knots. This award though means more than all of those combined. I'm honored to have leaders like this in my pack.

Matt (district rep), Herc, me
    Click image for larger version

Name:	herc.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	156.5 KB
ID:	25300321

Herc and Tyler

Name:	herc tyler.jpg
Size:	212.6 KB
ID:	25300322

The award

Name:	medal.jpg
Size:	187.1 KB
ID:	25300323

When I started emailing district people to find the proper channel to submit the nomination, the committee chair asked me how I even knew about the award. I explained that I found the information when looking for something else. After the presentation was complete, I got a follow-up email from him asking if I'd be interested in joining the committee that reviews the meritorious action nominations.

So now I've added another role to my adult scouting career!

awesome work!

Comment

Good stuff right there......

Comment

Originally posted by STGS View Post
        Good stuff right there......
        x2
        and Glad Tyler's okay.

We had the same thing happen to a family member where they (a boy like Tyler from your post) inhaled a water bottle cap after opening it with his teeth.

Our kids still do it on occasion even though we get on them about it and remind them what can happen.

Comment

Heck yeah! Thanks for sharing Kevin! I wish we all made as big deal about the things people do right in this world too!

Comment

Congrats to you and your troup!

Comment

Thats awesome! We have the same last name, wonder if we're related somehow.

Comment

Good stuff right there! Glad he saved that boy!

Comment

That's incredible Kevin. Thank you for sharing. Volunteer work is rewarding. It's also one of those things that the more you get involved, the more you get involved.

Comment

Very cool! That’s good Stuf!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

What an incredible story. Some good things you are doing.

Comment

Pure greatness! Thanks!

Comment

Originally posted by Goldeneagle View Post
                          Thats awesome! We have the same last name, wonder if we're related somehow.
                          I doubt it, Randy ... Herc is pretty normal!

Herc is the public works director in Sugarland.
                          His dad, Herc II, is the fire chief in Fulshear.

Comment

Originally posted by Texastaxi View Post
                            I doubt it, Randy ... Herc is pretty normal!

Herc is the public works director in Sugarland.
                            His dad, Herc II, is the fire chief in Fulshear.
                            Hey hey hey! Meier is just not a very common name.

Comment

That's pretty awesome!

Comment

Working...
                              X