UP Pasties- Hank Shaw

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

UP Pasties- Hank Shaw

I always enjoyed Randy Newberg’s shows. His podcast is a bit slow for me though. Nevertheless, I ran out of stuff to listen to and ended up listening to one of his episodes with a guy named Hank Shaw who has written a few cookbooks. They talked quite a bit about “upper peninsula pasties” so I looked it up. Kind of like a meat pie but with other stuff.

I used his recipe and made some using Nilgai. They taste pretty darn good. I used slap yo mama for the seasoning. If you are afraid of making your own dough, this is a good one to start with. It was easy and rolled out without sticking to anything.

Next batch I’ll be doubling or tripling so I can freeze a bunch.

A classic recipe for a beef or venison pasty, plus insights on how to tinker with fillings for this pasty recipe to make it your own.

……and I thought pasties covered up a stripper’s boobs.

Comment

Originally posted by Drycreek3189 View Post
      ……and I thought pasties covered up a stripper’s boobs.
      You and me both!! This ain’t what I was expecting!!

Comment

If you don't want to make them, here is source for best pasties in UP

Order Online and Ship Direct to Your Home

Best with lots of salt and catsup when eating

I pay overnight delivery to get em'

Comment

Get the beef pasties

I am not a fan of chicken pasties

Comment

While I’ve never tried his pasties, I’ve been a big fan of Mr. Shaw’s blog called Hunter, Angler, Gardener, Cook. He started with a focus on fish and game, traveling all over the U.S. focusing on regional game and cooking methods. Recent, he’s added a foraging component to his pursuits as well.

Some really great recipes, tips, and tricks can be found on his website. If you’re not already following him, you should check him out.

Comment

Originally posted by ThisLadyHunts View Post
              While I’ve never tried his pasties, I’ve been a big fan of Mr. Shaw’s blog called Hunter, Angler, Gardener, Cook. He started with a focus on fish and game, traveling all over the U.S. focusing on regional game and cooking methods. Recent, he’s added a foraging component to his pursuits as well.

Some really great recipes, tips, and tricks can be found on his website. If you’re not already following him, you should check him out.

100% agree. Subscribing to his website is at hunter-angler-gardener-cook is free. He usually sends an email once a week. Some of his recipes are insanely good. A bunch of of his recipes he posts online. I’ve done a bunch of his sausage and charcuterie recipes. All have been great.

Comment

I have his cookbook as well, and have used it for a few upland bird recipes. Good stuff.

Comment

Originally posted by Bmaker8709 View Post
                  I have his cookbook as well, and have used it for a few upland bird recipes. Good stuff.

I keep going back and forth on the cookbook. I’m always on the lookout for upland game bird recipes that are new and different, but they’re becoming much more prevalent online and I need another cookbook like I need another hole in my head.

Comment

Working...
                  X