Nilgai 2022!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by txlawdog View Post
    Going on a TPWD drawn hunt down near Raymondville in January. Nilgai are on the list to take if seen, only problem is it will be a muzzleloader/shotgun only. Will a 12 gauge slug do the trick at a close range?
    A 12 gauge slug will do a great job. A 1oz or heavier slug will kill almost anything quickly.

People kill nilgai and larger animals with bow and arrow.

Comment

Originally posted by Chew View Post
      Well let's start planning the trip. I'll sell something or another to buy a shoulder dislocator

Team Little Debbie Pro Staff

I thought you already owned an elephant gun?

Comment

I have an Oryx hunt down south Dec 9 and 10th, mind if I piggyback on this thread since we dont have an Oryx thread?

Comment

Nobody minds that for sure, good luck and looking forward to LDPs of Oryx!

Comment

Originally posted by miket View Post
            I have an Oryx hunt down south Dec 9 and 10th, mind if I piggyback on this thread since we dont have an Oryx thread?
            Where is your Oryx hunt?

Comment

Originally posted by outlook8 View Post
              Where is your Oryx hunt?
              Horn Fin Feather/Tajos Hunts. Free range, apparently a ranch that was part of the King at some point. Raymondville

Comment

Originally posted by Farmdog View Post
                Nobody minds that for sure, good luck and looking forward to LDPs of Oryx!
                Will do my best. Any tips for a guy with little experience with guided hunts?

Bringing a 150qt and 3 120qt coolers. Guessing that will be enough. If it goes well I may hit them up for a nilgai, depending on cost ( assuming the cost for additional animal will be well below the cost for the initial hunt )

Looks like its gunna be hot though!

Comment

An oryx is alot smaller than you think, atleast i was very suprised by the bidy size of the bull i killed. The quartered up bull will probably all fit in that 150 qt cooler. So you might as well add a nilgai cow to your trip.

Comment

Originally posted by Agdog View Post
                    I took my 7mag with me but ended up shooting my most recent bull with the ranch gun. 35HCR using a 250gr round. Felt like overkill but cool to see him drop in his tracks.
                    No such thing as overkill. Well, perhaps .600 Overkill would be overkill. :-) Have killed them with numerous chamberings. Current go to is .375 RUM with 270 gr. TTSX. Baaad medicine for them.

Comment

Originally posted by MAP View Post
                      An oryx is alot smaller than you think, atleast i was very suprised by the bidy size of the bull i killed. The quartered up bull will probably all fit in that 150 qt cooler. So you might as well add a nilgai cow to your trip.

This! 1/3 of that sucker is stomach!!

What meat you get is tasty though!!

Comment

Originally posted by MAP View Post
                        I've never seen one that I can recall, but from pictures thats what I have been thinking.

Comment

Some of yall may recognize this place

Click image for larger version

Name:	20221208_164320.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	223.0 KB
ID:	24700720

Comment

[ATTACH]1112219[/ATTACH]

Comment

Nice shot Mike, congrats.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Great oryx, Mike! Congrats!

I drive by a place on my way home weekdays that has a few.

The fish are biting and there's hogs to be kill-t. Gotta go!

Comment

Working...
                                X