Why no bobcat??

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by 7sdad View Post
    not liking the cowboys is natural and is fine but you may have something with that smell.:d
    Hahaha!!

Comment

South Texas is the place to go if you want a bobcat. There are a bunch down that way.

Comment

They are elusive. We have seen them a few times while hunting. I have called in many coyotes, but never a bobcat.

Last Sunday I woke up at the property and looked out toward the gate. Caught movement on the tree line. Sure enough it was a bobcat. Walked across the road and into the trees on the fence line. Only the second one I’ve seen in the last 5-6 years.

Comment

Originally posted by AntlerCollector View Post
          I’ve got one I’d sell ya already mounted. It’s one of a kind.
          Holy crap!! I almost spit water all over my computer screen. LOL

Comment

Originally posted by Deer Tamales View Post
            You folks are awesome! Appreciate the offer on mounts and frozen ones but it's a pride deal for me to get it for her myself. Very very appreciative of the offers!
            If anyone else wants one, let me know. It's free and would make my wife very happy to get it out of our freezer.......

Comment

Having killed multiple cats, both at night and during the day, TXraiderTK alluded to a very important tactic when specifically calling cats. The fact that both his cats came in after 20 minutes of calling should not be lost on you. They are generally very slow and deliberate when coming to a call. They don't often bust hump to get there like a coyote or fox often will. If you're serious about getting one, I'd highly recommend you call at least 30 minutes per setup, and an hour is not out of the question. Thicker brush will usually hold more cats than open country in my experience. One other thing I would mention is my belief that they respond a bit better to higher pitched calls too. Use those tactics and I bet you will get your cat soon. Good luck!

Comment

I had one slip in on me yesterday afternoon. If it hadn't caught me half way napping, i might have been alert enough to get a shot off with my bow. First time i have had one within bow range.

Comment

Originally posted by AntlerCollector View Post
                  I’ve got one I’d sell ya already mounted. It’s one of a kind.
                  LOL that's no lie

Comment

Definitely try and find some sign of a bobcat being there first and foremost. I've went in just guessing there was a bobcat around based on habitat but tracks,scat and trail camera pictures are a huge time saver when it comes to trapping or calling bobcats in. I like to wait at least 45 minutes while calling if I know for a fact a cat is in the area. For long sits that's where an electronic call really comes in handy.

Comment

I got one with a rifle at 8 yds many years ago............now I need one at that distance with my bow!!!

Comment

Don’t depend on what looks like prime habitat. Learn to read sign (tracks, hair, scat, trails) and do some serious scouting to find places where the sign is present day in and day out, not just where one passed after the last rain. Game cams are another tool. Find their home territory and spend a lot of time in the stand - obviously down wind. Should be able to score sooner or later.

Edit: I should have read further. Okrattler has already given this answer.
                        Last edited by McClain; 11-17-2022, 07:31 PM.

Comment

Just get lucky!

Had one come into one of my feeders south of Crosbyton just off the Caprock chasing quail at the feeder. The quail went down to the tank just to the west of my feeder and the bobcat followed. I climbed down out of my 16' tripod and eased my way to the tank side and looked. the quail were at the feeder but no cat. I caught movement to my left and looked down a trail surrounded by high grass on both sides and saw the cat sitting on his haunches looking at my at about 15 yards. He squatted as I drew and I skewered him from the middle of his front chest out his rear. He screamed once and rolled down to the tank water's edge. I will never get this lucky again. i had him mounted standing with a dead quail in his mouth, but one of my Rotties ate the quail so he is at the taxi getting repaired.

I have always said I would rather be lucky than good when it came to bowhunting!

Comment

I saw two this evening. I know that doesn't help you.

Sent from my SM-F721U using Tapatalk

Comment

Fun post Mudslinger. Wild that you were able to slip up and get a bow shot!

Comment

There's one lying on the small bridge about 11 miles south of Menard on Hwy. 83. He was hit the night before last as I saw him early yesterday morning.
                                Cats are finally coming back to this country after we had a huge die off over 10 years ago.
                                South Texas is still the place to go to find a cat, may not have a thick heavy pelt or be extremely large but normally have good color.
                                Adios,
                                Gary

Comment

Working...
                                X