Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Trespassing Cows. How neighborly should we be?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by mmlreiner View Post
    In Harris County you just call dispatch and me or one of the other two livestock Deputies comes and impounds them. I get you to sign a form that states they’re not yours and you’d like them removed and vuala! I bring a trailer and haul them to the office. According to STATE LAW the Sheriff or his designee’s (Livestock Deputies) are responsible for impounding estray livestock and exotics. We hold them at the office for a maximum of 18 days and post them on the internet. If no one comes to claim them they go to the auction. Right now I have a gorgeous beefmaster bull and ten angus cows at the office going to the auction this week. (There’s a little more to it so pm me if you want to know)

As for the damages the owner, if known is responsible for paying that back but that’s a civil matter taken up in claims court.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
    You have a interesting job. Are you like those cattle rangers?

Comment

Originally posted by Fordnandez View Post
      City boy question here......... If it is the landowners responsibility to build a fence to keep neighbors cattle out then how is it not tresspassing when said neighbor decides it is time to take the cattle to the auction and they have to go get the cattle from the neighbors land?

I guess asked a simpler way if your neighbors livestock is on your land because they didnt want to come up with a way to keep them contained how are those then not your cattle?

Obviously I know nothing about the livestock business.
      by law, obtaining or maintaining possession of property that is not yours is theft and cattle ( any livestock) theft is looked at very seriously,,

Comment

Trespassing Cows. How neighborly should we be?

Originally posted by xman59 View Post
        by law, obtaining or maintaining possession of property that is not yours is theft and cattle ( any livestock) theft is looked at very seriously,,

All the more reason to run them beeves out the front gate.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
        Last edited by Dale Moser; 11-15-2022, 07:38 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by GarGuy View Post
          Nuts ,I say
          Needs a red ryder right to that sac-osaurus!

Comment

poison cubes should fix the problem or herd them out to the road .

Comment

Originally posted by Dale Moser View Post
              Run'em out the gate, fix the fence.
              Interesting solution. Hope no one dies in the car wrecks. Had a car lose control & take down some of our lease fence. DPS stayed there until they could contact us to make sure no livestock would be getting onto the highway.
              Last edited by Monark; 11-15-2022, 07:45 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Monark View Post
                Interesting solution. Hope no one dies in the car wrecks. Had a car lose control & take down some of our lease fence. DPS stayed there until they could contact us to make sure no livestock would be getting onto the highway.
                He is talking about blacktops not interstates (at least I hope so)

Anybody driving fast enough on a blacktop to not be able to stop from hitting a cow is a moron, even in the dark
                And yes I have been the moron driving at unsafe speed on a blacktop

OP you need to send the owner of said cows a bill for protein, if they don't pay up, small claims court.
                Getting on me and eating grass is one thing, protein, destroying feeders and eating food plots needs compensation

And a good neighbor would make things right with no court anyway

Comment

After this much time, I would bill him for protein.

Comment

Originally posted by camoclad View Post
                    You have a interesting job. Are you like those cattle rangers?

Umm. Sort of. I get asked a lot if I’m like the guys on Yellowstone lol.

We are responsible for impounding loose livestock within the county. As every sheriffs office in the state of Texas is responsible for doing within their county. Livestock includes exotics. So anything from cattle and horses to emus and ostriches. We use dart guns with chemical immobilization, we rope when appropriate and chase often. Sometimes it’s a $h!t show sometimes the animal just walks in the trailer. Then sometimes (like last week) I get there and someone has starved the animal to the brink of death and I end up having to euthanize it right there. Best job I’ve ever had but we are way understaffed and some days I don’t know what year it is.

Comment

Originally posted by mmlreiner View Post
                      In Harris County you just call dispatch and me or one of the other two livestock Deputies comes and impounds them. I get you to sign a form that states they’re not yours and you’d like them removed and vuala! I bring a trailer and haul them to the office. According to STATE LAW the Sheriff or his designee’s (Livestock Deputies) are responsible for impounding estray livestock and exotics. We hold them at the office for a maximum of 18 days and post them on the internet. If no one comes to claim them they go to the auction. Right now I have a gorgeous beefmaster bull and ten angus cows at the office going to the auction this week. (There’s a little more to it so pm me if you want to know)

As for the damages the owner, if known is responsible for paying that back but that’s a civil matter taken up in claims court.

I can’t agree with this.

It’s “Voila”!

Spelling nazi post of the day……

Comment

Originally posted by tvc184 View Post
                        I can’t agree with this.

It’s “Voila”!

Spelling nazi post of the day……

LOL I have actually always wondered how to spell it correctly. When I read it the way it's suppose to be written it sounds totally different.

Comment

If you kick them out a gate onto a county road or FM road be sure to call SO and let them know they are out on the right of way. Don't say you kicked them out on the road but you are reporting them as being out and a possible danger to drivers. Do this each time so as to have a documented paper trail with the SO. Many offices have policy that after 3 calls in short period of days on same cattle means they get picked up and sold by SO. Be sure to include any ear tags or brands for identifying purposes when you call.

Cowboys that do this for the SO generally get about $150 each a day for catching the cattle and based on the number of them needed to catch said cattle that money will come out of sale price. SO fines also come out costing owner enough he loses money on cattle. A couple of times with this happening and they are more than happy to come get their cattle when you call.

Comment

Originally posted by Dale Moser View Post
                            None of that seems to be happening in this case. The OP is feeding the neighbors cows, and the neighbor knows it and is taking advantage of the situation.
                            Exactly what happened to me last year. Neighbor was purposely letting them out to eat my corn, protein, and alfalfa. After repeated calls to the owner I got the sheriff involved. There were about 20+ heads. The last time I called and told the sheriff they were also getting in the highway he had them rounded up and hauled off to auction.

Comment

Originally posted by C-dubyah View Post
                              Most people talk tougher online than what they would do in real life.
                              Most ate just joking. It's the quiet ones you need to look out for.

Sent from my SM-G991U using Tapatalk

Comment

I'm dealing with the same thing right now at my place. It has been at least 3 or 4 times now I have drove my neighbor's 35 cows back onto his property, closed the gate on the fence between us where they are crossing and then the next time I go up there what do you know? Somehow the gate is back open with a worn down trail going directly to my feeders! Talk about frustrating!

Comment

Working...
                                X