No announcement yet.

Unlikely Bird Dogs

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

My dachshund will retrieve ducks all day long.

Comment

Due to my skill as a trainer, all my bird dogs were unlikely no matter of breed.

Comment

This is just great!!

Comment

I love seeing untraditional dog breeds in the field working birds. Seen a couple Dachshund bird/duck dogs and always makes me smile.

Comment

My buddy had a pit Bull. First 4 or 5 years of her life she was never around hunting, but man that dog loved to work and have a job. He started hunting with me, and next thing you know she is retrieving birds. We were into remote control airplanes and boats, and she would often come along with us. One day a boat died in the pond, so we figured we would try to send ol’ Saita dog after it. Sure enough… there she went swimming out into the pond, grabbed hold of the RC boat(not good for the paint) and brings it back.

She was a good dog for sure.

Comment

My Catahoula is a tracking machine but could care less about birds. I bring home ducks, throw them at her and she just looks at them, take her dove hunting and she's either off smelling all the smells or curled up sleeping next to me.

Craziest one I have seen was a guy on Facebook had a English Bulldog that he took dove hunting and would do water retrieves one after another!

Comment

That’s cool
                Had a friend up north with a Rottweiler that would retrieve pheasants. It wouldn’t hunt, just walk with us, but would take off and retrieve downed pheasant…… it was fun to watch

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Oh yea!!! No surprise as dogs literally have it in their DNA. We had a beagle that would swim after ducks......lol.

Comment

My cat is the same way, but too hard a mouth.
                    All you get back is a tenderized lump of feathers and meat.

Comment

I used to guide waterfowl with a guy that had a red heeled that was amazing on cripples. We had all of our dogs (labs) trained to only pick up cripples from the blinds. This dog was how that idea started. He would run past 20 dead geese to get the one crippled walker in the spread. If there was a sailer that landed way out he was off like a rocket. He would hit them at full speed, knock them down then retrieve them. Only down side was he hated water. He was only good on dry land hunts.

Comment

All in a day’s work for Daisy. Some of them doves came in a little to low and slow. LOL
                        Attached Files

Comment

Wish I had a picture of the dachshund that we hunted quail and rabbits behind!!

This was over twenty years ago on a tobacco farm in NC that I grew up near. One of the few places in the county that had wild bobwhites left and was loaded with rabbits. Another kid who hunted the place with me had a female dachshund who almost ran sideways (she had been hit by a 4 wheeler and survived). Death on bunnies and would scare up the quail as well.

Comment

When I was a kid my grand father kept beagles and hunted rabbits behind them every chance he got. My aunt, his daughter, had a french poodle named “John Paul” who would jump in with the beagles every once in a while. He was pretty good at it too. Didn’t quite have the stamina or nose of the beagles but he would mix it up for sure. Funny as heck to see them running together.

Comment

Unlikely Bird Dogs

Had a Jagd gyp that would retrieve whitewings once. She got bit by a rattlesnake on a fence row grown up in white brush fetching whitewings one evening. Took her awhile to get over that but she survived. Still got the rattlesnake hide, but she’s been gone awhile....

Those Jagds don’t have and brakes and their reverse quit working about the time they are weened. Fun dogs you can’t brake their spirit. Tried for 20 years to do so....

Comment

Originally posted by MASTERS View Post
                                Had a Jagd gyp that would retrieve whitewings once. She got bit by a rattlesnake on a fence row grown up in white brush fetching whitewings one evening. Took her awhile to get over that but she survived. Still got the rattlesnake hide, but she’s been gone awhile....

Those Jagds don’t have and brakes and their reverse quit working about the time they are weened. Fun dogs you can’t brake their spirit. Tried for 20 years to do so....

Comment

Working...
                                X