Car Buying Stories

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Car Buying Stories

Give me your best stories on someone going into a dealer and getting an awesome price for a vehicle!

Been looking at getting a new silverado, ive watched videos on how to negotiate with dealers and how to watch for bogus fees, etc. Hearing some of the stories online was really interesting. Post up your story.

And specifically if you bought a 19 or 20 silverado send me a pm if you think you made a good deal. I dont want to get ripped off and I dont want to rip anyone else off either.

I call and talk to the Internet Sales Manager or the Fleet Manager. I let them know I am buying a vehicle this week. I then tell them exactly what I am looking for and that I am calling 4-5 other dealers and will take the best price. Forget the hassle of salesman to manager negotiations. Make sure you always deal only with a manager. I did this on my vehicle 4 years ago. Most recently, my dad did this and got a smoking deal on a 2019 Tundra. The key is to know EXACTLY what you want, and more importantly, everything that you don't so they don't try to add it later.

Comment

They all end the same way....scr.w.d

Comment

I'd rather you poke me in the eye with a stick than buy a car.

Comment

A free Chevy... isn’t a deal

Comment

Car Buying Stories

Originally posted by TxBowHntr View Post
            I call and talk to the Internet Sales Manager or the Fleet Manager. I let them know I am buying a vehicle this week. I then tell them exactly what I am looking for and that I am calling 4-5 other dealers and will take the best price. Forget the hassle of salesman to manager negotiations. Make sure you always deal only with a manager. I did this on my vehicle 4 years ago. Most recently, my dad did this and got a smoking deal on a 2019 Tundra. The key is to know EXACTLY what you want, and more importantly, everything that you don't so they don't try to add it later.

How do I identify EXACTLY what I want? I’m a woman. I told the car salesman I really didn’t care about a bunch of sh**. Just show me what you got. Maybe that wasn’t the right way to go about it. But I’m also young(ish) and dumb when it comes to this process.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

High school truck shat out and went in to look at a 2015 Chevy LTZ that was out of my price range but driving for S&G’s.

Made a appt for the following day, showed up, waited for 90 mins while they tried to find the truck. Left PO’ed when it couldn’t be found and was told they would call me the following day when it was found and would make it worth my while. Call came in and another appt was made. I show up and wait 2hrs for them to have misplaced the truck again....

Lost my mind on everyone there. Towards the end of the frustration the owner of the dealership pulls up in the truck. Turns out no one realized it was his and thought it was just a demo, which I was told it was brand new.

Left PO’ed again, wrote a bunch of bad reviews, called the manager to tell them how awful everything was. Walked out 2 days later with the truck at a severely discounted price.

Believe I got it almost 17k off sticker

Comment

Try to make friends with someone who works at a Chevy dealership, and then you MIGHT not get screw-ed.

J

Comment

GM is offering a lot of financing incentives right now. 0% for a variety of terms. Research online, figure if you're trading, financing or paying cash, wanting new/used, etc. The more of that you can answer before going to the dealership the better. Dont go in as focused on your monthly payment, but rather look at the deal from the total price perspective along with what you're getting on a trade if you have one.

Comment

From mid-2015 through early 2017, I made it a mission to buy a new or extremely low-mileage used truck for under $30,000. On a whim, I went to Meador Dodge to look at a couple. Ended up talking to a sales rep and he said "well, we don't have that one anymore [the one I saw on the internet] but let's see if I can find anything else."

At this point, I had gone and sat in so many sales offices that it was 2nd nature how to talk to them and also to not be bullied by them. I purposely would "shop" with absolutely zero intention of buying, mostly because I didn't have a job, just to understand how the process worked.

So we go in there, and sure enough, he finds a black ram 1500 for $29,000. I don't get too excited. I want to see it. Plus, it was "used"... He tells me that it was a loaner truck for when people would bring their vehicles in for repairs and maintenance. I look at it... It was perfect. Only 1 minor scratch on the entire truck. 7,500 miles on it. Loaded with custom leather seats, navigation, the 8" screen... It literally marked every single check mark on my search to find a truck under $30k.

I played it cool. Told him I liked it. That was all it took and he said he'd talk to his sales manager. They came and knocked an additional $1,500 off the truck, so now it's $27,500. This is interesting because at all the dealerships I had been to, no one would take more than $200 off a used truck. "That's the market right now," is what I was told at each dealership.

At this point I look at my then-fiance. I tell her I see our family in the truck. I see it being easy to get a kid in and out of this truck. She's nervous, doesn't want me to spend the money. I know I'll never get what I want in marriage so this is my last moment to splurge while I can mark "single" on the census.

I agree to $27,500. The sales manager says, "Ok, I gotta talk to the manager and get signatures." I wait about 45 minutes and I'm really nervous. No clue what's taking them so long. Finally the sales person came back and said, "Hey the manager wants to talk to you."

It was a good 'ol boy from Grand Prairie, back when Grand Prairie was a prairie and that's where country folk came from. The manager said, "Look here. We made a big mistake, and today is your lucky day. That truck was mis-priced. We were not supposed to sell it for less than $32,000. But we're keeping our word on this one. You just tell your buddies to shop here."

So i ended up getting the $32,000 truck for $27,500 and I love getting into that truck every single time. I kept my '97 chevy to keep the miles low on the ram. So far, only 39k miles.

Comment

If you’re looking for a good story don’t go to Northwest Dodge in in Cy Fair. I would have never in my wildest dreams believed the crap they tried to pull on my son last month. They give crooked used car salesman a bad name.

Ended up making a deal with Oviedo out of LaGrange over the phone in a few hours. The salesman located the truck he was looking for, sent him the sticker and pictures of truck, knocked $500 off the deal he was working at NorthWest, we drove down the next evening signed the papers and picked it up. Flawless. Oviedo also has a Chevrolet dealership in LaGrange.

My dad has bought several trucks from them in the last 15yrs. I will be buying my next from them. Small town dealer that still relys on their name to sell cars.
                      Last edited by Stuck; 04-01-2020, 06:07 PM.

Comment

Haha... I have a few dealerships working against each other as we speak! That works the best in my opinion and you don’t have to step foot in the dealership!

Comment

Ran across this the other day. Seemed like a good deal!

I don’t know anything about the dealership, was a Facebook ad that popped up. I screen shot it to send to a buddy that was looking.

Comment

Originally posted by gonzaleziam View Post
                            They all end the same way....scr.w.d
                            This right here is the most accurate thing I will read all night!

Comment

won't help you, but ford had a $3k "owner loyalty" rebate back in '08. I made sure there was no fine print on how long you had to be an owner .... searched craigslist and found a 9yr old Taurus wagon with 230k miles which I believe went through Katrina. paid $500 cash for that car, got $200 trade value and qualified for that extra $3k rebate. back in '08 when economy was going down and gas hit $4/gal was good time to buy a end of year model f150 .. over 40% off sticker with my "loyalty" rebate on top

Comment

Working...
                              X