Shotgun selections

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Shotgun selections

Ok... I'm at the point I need a more respectable shotgun.

What I'm looking for...

A. Somebody to help me with fit... I don't think I've ever had one that fit right. I'm also cross dominant in my eyes Soo probably going to need the stock bent

B. Good All around shotgun... Not to heavy to do upland, not to nice I'm scared to take it, shoots where I look and can keep up at clays

Suggestions?

Look at Dunn’s sporting goods... they have a Benelli Montefeltro on sale for $699

Comment

Shotgun selections

I would look at an O/U, as far as the eye thing, might try to shoot on the opposite side or just practice a lot so you know where it shoots vs where you are looking

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

I don’t think you can beat the Benelli Montefeltro.

Comment

Same problem with me bro. Cross dominance shotgunning kinda stinks. Can be overcome though. I keep both open on my swing and have to remember to close my left when I’m closing in on birds butt close left and take shot with right. Work well. On head on and straight aways I mount the gun left eye closed.

There are pro trappers and skeet shotgunners with same prob so all is not lost. Fit helps a lot.

Comment

Montefeltro is a semi, though thats a great gun... looking for an over under guys haha

Comment

Fit I’m no help, but SKB is good for the price or even a good used Browning or Beretta. Also, have you tried a piece of tape on your left eye of shooting glasses? Supposed to break eye lock and cause right eye to focus.

Comment

Originally posted by bmac View Post
                Fit I’m no help, but SKB is good for the price or even a good used Browning or Beretta. Also, have you tried a piece of tape on your left eye of shooting glasses? Supposed to break eye lock and cause right eye to focus.

I close the eye but it changed a lot of things in how you aim/shoot...

Thinking about the used route for sure

Comment

Originally posted by catslayer View Post

From the experts, you need a Red Rider B gun

After teaching professionally for years, I have become well acquainted with eye dominance issues. I have found that many instructors mistakenly determine that shooters who miss to the left side of the target are cross-eye dominant. Widely used, standard eye dominance tests are unreliable because they can too easily be manipulated. Many people would prefer to be cross-eye dominant because they don’t want to think about switching shoulders. There are also some who hope there is some kind of dominance thing going on because it explains why they miss! But if these people were left-eye dominant, they would’ve shot four or five feet to the left. In reality, there is no issue, but they’ve been letting their focus come back to the barrel. When they do that, they’ll see the whole left side of the gun -- and a well-meaning friend or inexperienced instructor will tell them they’re left-eye dominant. They’ll put tape on their glasses and get marginally better on some specific targets, but it’ll keep them from ever being as good as they ultimately could be. That’s not a dominance problem -- it’s a focus problem.However, there are some who are cross-eye dominant. If they look hard at a high stalling teal at 30 yards, shoot at it, and keep missing several feet to the left, then it’s obvious to both of us that their left eye’s driving the gun. Eye dominance doesn’t cause us to miss stuff by a few inches – being cross-eye dominant causes you to miss stuff by yards. If you’re missing by yards, hands down the best choice is switch shoulders. Next best is the patch, and the least favorable is trying to wink. Most people don’t want to switch shoulders, but I’ve successfully switched people that are new to the game as well as those in their 60s. The best thing to do is to buy a Red Rider BB gun, because what you’re fighting is the awkward feel of handling the gun on the other side of your body. The easiest way to get over that is to shoot a lot, and the cheapest way to do that is with a Red Rider BB gun in your yard. If I can get someone to shoot their BB gun every day for 30 days, the next time they go to the sporting clays course they find it a whole lot easier to shoot left handed – and after that it’s a case of practice and more practice. In my opinion, using a patch is a severe limitation. It cuts down on your peripheral vision and your depth perception, which really hinders your subconscious mind’s ability to sort out speed, angle and distance – and figure out when to pull the trigger. Trap shooters can get away with it a little bit, because they basically shoot right at targets with very little lead. 
 Sporting clay shooters have to get the barrel way out in front of stuff a lot of times, and it just doesn’t work very well. Another disadvantage of the patch is that anytime the barrel has to be over the top of the bird – like a rising teal or a driven target coming over your head or a rising trap shot – you can’t see the bird anymore. You can’t look through the gun with one eye; you need both eyes open. Right away, there are specific target presentations that become an issue. I always tell people who insist on closing one eye or wearing a patch, you better get damned good at dropping teal – because you’re not going to hit anything on the way up.Best,Will Fennell

Comment

I am not alone in this, you should not be closing your eye. A long time ago when I got into competitive shooting my shooting instructor once asked me if I drove my truck around with one eye closed or played football with one eye closed and I said no I do not. He then said you shouldn't shoot a shotgun at flying objects with an eye closed. The reason being is that it takes away field of view and depth perception. These two things are important.

I am in the crowd with shooting over your dominant eye. It will be a bit awkward at first if you have to change shoulders but you will most likely never reach your potential without doing so. Shoot with both eyes open. Go to someone that knows fit and have them help you.

With a shotgun your dominant eye is the rear sight while the muzzle is the front sight. The relationship between the two will dictate where the gun shoots. You can literally make the gun shot left, right, up and down by shifting where you dominate eye sits. My trap guns shoots about 11" high at 30 yards while my skeet and sporting guns shoots flatter.

Just as shooting form and anchor points are important with archery, form and consistint gun mounts are important with shotgun sports. It's an amazing thing when you get you gun to shoot where you dominate eye looks, its kind like a laser guided bomb. Looking at the barrel or beads is a no no also when shooting moving targets because you can be looking at the target and barrel at the same time. When looking/checking the barrel/beads you tend to stop swingingwhich results in shooting a crosser
                    . Oooops I am babbling on now, sorry.

Comment

I have the same issue and use a tape occlusion on the left lens of my shooting glasses. I grew up "aiming" a shotgun, using the occlusion and shooting with both eyes made a huge difference.

Comment

Montefeltro is a semi, though thats a great gun... looking for an over under guys haha
                        I'd suggest a Ruger Red Label. That's where I started when I was in the same boat as you - wanting a "respectable shotgun" ! My mentors guided me towards a model with 30" barrels. It fits the description of what you have described. Classy enough to not embarrass you on the clay fields but not so fancy that you are scared to take it to the field. It should come with several factory chokes but you can buy all your checkbook can stand at Brileys. I'm not sure if they are in current production by Ruger, but look on GunsAmerica or Gun Broker. As for your eye dominance issue, follow the advise above about putting tape on the lense of your dominant eye shooting glasses.

Comment

Originally posted by Ray McGaughey View Post
                          I'd suggest a Ruger Red Label. That's where I started when I was in the same boat as you - wanting a "respectable shotgun" ! My mentors guided me towards a model with 30" barrels. It fits the description of what you have described. Classy enough to not embarrass you on the clay fields but not so fancy that you are scared to take it to the field. It should come with several factory chokes but you can buy all your checkbook can stand at Brileys. I'm not sure if they are in current production by Ruger, but look on GunsAmerica or Gun Broker. As for your eye dominance issue, follow the advise above about putting tape on the lense of your dominant eye shooting glasses.
                          I have been looking... I would love this but they are like finding hensteeth!

Comment

Working...
                          X