Let's talk knifes and sharpeners

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Let's talk knifes and sharpeners

Looking for your thoughts on a good skinning knife and what sharpener are yall using, thanks

I love the Buck skinner pak lite. And the spyderco sharp maker is the only way to go for keeping a blade shaving sharp

Comment

Anyone use an outdoor edge or havalon?

Comment

Case knives and worksharp sharpeners.

Comment

Havalon. No sharpener required.

Comment

Anyone know what brand of knife the guy sells that sharpens knives in the gander mountain in college station?

Comment

I like the Lansky-type kits because I use a dual-bevel technique to sharpen my knives. First angle is 20-degrees and I get it set in before I do anything else. Then I increase the angle to 25-degrees and go over it 4-5-6 times with the next to finest stone (both sides) then switch to the fine stone to put the final polish on it. Once you get the 20-degree bevel cut, it take way less time to touch up the 25-degree part. I also work with a sharpening steel in my hip pocket and touch up the edge frequently (but not aggressively). Learned to do this when I worked in a slaughterhouse/meat packing plant as a summer job.

Comment

Originally posted by ROCKET View Post
                The havalon are nice. Not real sturdy but they get the job done and no worry about resharpening in the field. I have a few of the smaller ones and one of the largest , barracuda I think it's called. And I like it by far the best. You can take care of just about any thing with it. Gutting, quartering, caping, on just about any thing from rabbit to moose. I like them. Had problems with the first one I bought years ago, but decided I would give them a try again after hearing so many people liked them here on TBH .

Comment

Support a member and take a look at this one:

Hard to beat the Sharpfinger pattern!
                  Once you put a well made custom to use, you'll never look back As far as sharpeners go, Lansky makes a nice one, spiderco makes a real nice and easy to use one and you should also consider buying or making a nice leather strop with some green compound to rub on it.
                  Knivesshipfree.com is a nice resource for sharpening supplies, tutorial videos as well as some very nice knives for sale.

Comment

Originally posted by ROCKET View Post
                    Have used both still prefer a regular skinning knife although they do make it very easy to keep a knife sharp.

Comment

I use a variety because I'm a Knife Collector. My Go-To knives in the Field are the outdoor Edge Swing Blade + Buck. I sharpen them with a Lansky.

Comment

Which lansky are yall using I see there are 3 /5 stone model and standard or diamond ?

Comment

Love my worksharpe.

Comment

I have several skinning knives made by Buck and prefer those in S30V steel. The Vanguard is a good model as is the Open Season Skinner

I have a 3 stone Lansky that works very well for me as well as a Worksharp. The Worksharp sees more use only because it is quicker.

Comment

Casey that is a good looking knife I like the design, going knife shopping Monday and have to check them out

Comment

Working...
                              X