No announcement yet.

Film Your Hunt: Is 4K Overrated?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Come on guys, help us 4K TV owners out. 4K sure looks good!

Comment

Originally posted by texashunter View Post
      Come on guys, help us 4K TV owners out. 4K sure looks good!

Start looping my YouTube videos on your TV and maybe you can change the analytics!

Do you frequently watch YouTube vids on your TV? I’m curious to know how everyone here consumes YT hunting videos?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
      My Flickr Photos

Comment

Originally posted by spro View Post
        All good points Mike but have to disagree. Been in the video editing business for over 20 years. Standard back then was 720 x 480 then 1280 x 720 now 1920 x 1080. It won't be long before 4K is standard and 1080 will be old school. If you are going to make a big purchase such as a camera, operating system and software, I would recommend getting the best you can get. Otherwise you will be shopping for new gear in a year or two to keep up with the norm. Things move very fast in the digital world. Just my opinion of course.
        We have been shooting TV and "how to" videos since the '80s. Started on 3/4" tape and now 4K is where we have evolved.
        Adios,
        Gary

Comment

Originally posted by Gary Roberson View Post
          We have been shooting TV and "how to" videos since the '80s. Started on 3/4" tape and now 4K is where we have evolved.

Adios,

Gary

How are you distributing your content? Is it hunting footage? What cameras are you currently shooting with?

Last edited by Michael; 01-19-2020, 10:37 AM.
          My Flickr Photos

Comment

Originally posted by Michael View Post
            Start looping my YouTube videos on your TV and maybe you can change the analytics!

Do you frequently watch YouTube vids on your TV? I’m curious to know how everyone here consumes YT hunting videos?

Typically I watch YouTube videos on my phone or IPad, but I will spend some time watching a few of your videos on the TV . Will report back.

Comment

I watch YT 50% on my computer and 50% on my TV. And 99% of that is watching hunting videos

Comment

The picture quality of your videos on my TV is excellent. I’ve only had my Samsung 4K television for about a month and you have to look for the 4K shows.
                I don’t know if many people, including myself, would be able to tell if your videos are 1080 or 4K, but like I said, they are already crystal clear on my TV.

Comment

Typically I watch YouTube videos on my phone or IPad, but I will spend some time watching a few of your videos on the TV . Will report back.
                  The picture quality of your videos on my TV is excellent. I’ve only had my Samsung 4K television for about a month and you have to look for the 4K shows.
                  I don’t know if many people, including myself, would be able to tell if your videos are 1080 or 4K, but like I said, they are already crystal clear on my TV.
                  Awesome! Thanks for the feedback.
                  Originally posted by Patton View Post
                  I watch YT 50% on my computer and 50% on my TV. And 99% of that is watching hunting videos
                  Thanks for the feedback.

Do y'all mostly shoot in 1080 or 4k for your channel (or 6k with the Red? ) I assume most of your vids are uploaded in 1080?
                  My Flickr Photos

Comment

Does anybody here actually upload to YT in 4K?
                    My Flickr Photos

Comment

Awesome! Thanks for the feedback.

Thanks for the feedback.

Do y'all mostly shoot in 1080 or 4k for your channel (or 6k with the Red? ) I assume most of your vids are uploaded in 1080?
                      We shoot all in 4K, except the Red Scarlet shoots in 5k. We upload to YouTube in 4K as well. One of my best friends has his own videography company so storage, editing programs, etc aren’t an issue.

Comment

Originally posted by Patton View Post
                        We shoot all in 4K, except the Red Scarlet shoots in 5k. We upload to YouTube in 4K as well. One of my best friends has his own videography company so storage, editing programs, etc aren’t an issue.
                        Awesome! Other than the Red Scarlet, what would you consider your go-to camera?
                        My Flickr Photos

Comment

Awesome! Other than the Red Scarlet, what would you consider your go-to camera?
                          The Red only gets brought around on certain hunts; most of the time it just isn’t practical. For me personally, I stick with the Panasonic 870 as does on of our other guys. The other 2 guys predominately use a Sony A7 II and A7 III. It’s usually a combo of the Panasonic 870 and A7III. The only problem with the handy cam is it limits the ability to do a lot of color grading (so I hear lol). I’m lucky and pretty much just turn over whatever footage I have and let the video guy do his thing. I’m a much better trigger-man than camera-man..

Comment

The VX870 (and most consumer camcorders) have limitations when it comes to full broadcast level productions. With no “flat” recording profile the image starts falling apart rapidly with heavy color correction or grading. Of course, that comes at a different price point (and knowledge level! )

My Flickr Photos

Comment

Sony Handycam X 1000 is what a couple of my guys are shooting and a third is shooting on a Panasonic camera but not sure model #. We are shooting for the Pursuit Channel and many other outlets. Some of our footage is used by Trijicon, Hornady, Ruger and Swagger on their social media. We have quite a bit of money tied up in camera gear, drones, body cameras, etc. that is good to get a variety of views. We also shoot with a 360 degree camera in certain calling situations.
                              If I was just shooting for myself, I would buy on of the low end 4k cameras. To be honest with you if not for TV and my sponsors, I would never bother with a camera as it slows down a hunt. (Keep in mind that I am not ever sitting in a blind, calling or pursuing).
                              Adios,
                              Gary

Comment

Originally posted by Gary Roberson View Post
                                Sony Handycam X 1000 is what a couple of my guys are shooting and a third is shooting on a Panasonic camera but not sure model #. We are shooting for the Pursuit Channel and many other outlets. Some of our footage is used by Trijicon, Hornady, Ruger and Swagger on their social media. We have quite a bit of money tied up in camera gear, drones, body cameras, etc. that is good to get a variety of views. We also shoot with a 360 degree camera in certain calling situations.
                                If I was just shooting for myself, I would buy on of the low end 4k cameras. To be honest with you if not for TV and my sponsors, I would never bother with a camera as it slows down a hunt. (Keep in mind that I am not ever sitting in a blind, calling or pursuing).
                                Adios,
                                Gary

Gary, did you watch my video and points I made or are you just responding to the title of this thread?

I’d recommend a 4k camera for any broadcast production (although an action camera probably wouldn’t me my recommended primary camera for hunting, regardless of resolution.)

This video was intended primarily for those that want to start filming hunts for YouTube and that are on a limited budget and don’t have sponsors to fund equipment purchases for tv broadcast.

Thanks for the reply.

Last edited by Michael; 01-26-2020, 01:29 AM.
                                My Flickr Photos

Comment

Working...
                                X