Long range advice needed

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Long range advice needed

Looking for advice for a beginner wanting to get into long range. Bowhunter mostly but I do love firearms! Mainly wondering about calibers if you were going to build the LR gun of your dreams what caliber? I’m talking 700-1200 yard stuff, maybe further. Would like to take animals at 500-800 but still shoot steel beyond that. I’m a good shooter. Currently have a Rem 700 in .270 that I have made ethical kills out to 400. Also bought a Rem 700 PSS in .308 about 5 years ago with the intention to make long rage but haven’t even bought a scope or fired it yet. So the question... go with my plan on the .308 or sell and go different caliber?? I know the .308 has limits beyond 900 or so. Not opposed to selling. I like to buy the best and not look back. Really no limits on optics but have numerous NF scopes and kinda leaning towards the NXS 5.5-22. I’m new to long range so any advice is appreciated. I dont mind spending the money but want to do it right the first time.

I'd say it depends on the size of game you're after. Deer size and down I would look at the 6.5PRC, 6.5x284, and 264 mag. Any larger game and I would get a bigger caliber. 300 win mag is tried and true and the new 30PRC looks good also. I'd go custom for the gun if funds permit. APR is highly recommended around here and they know their stuff.

Comment

Originally posted by 45 ACP View Post
      Looking for advice for a beginner wanting to get into long range. Bowhunter mostly but I do love firearms! Mainly wondering about calibers if you were going to build the LR gun of your dreams what caliber? I’m talking 700-1200 yard stuff, maybe further. Would like to take animals at 500-800 but still shoot steel beyond that. I’m a good shooter. Currently have a Rem 700 in .270 that I have made ethical kills out to 400. Also bought a Rem 700 PSS in .308 about 5 years ago with the intention to make long rage but haven’t even bought a scope or fired it yet. So the question... go with my plan on the .308 or sell and go different caliber?? I know the .308 has limits beyond 900 or so. Not opposed to selling. I like to buy the best and not look back. Really no limits on optics but have numerous NF scopes and kinda leaning towards the NXS 5.5-22. I’m new to long range so any advice is appreciated. I dont mind spending the money but want to do it right the first time.

Start shooting long range first with what you have and upgrade from there.

I’m close to 20k in on three rifles with glass and haven’t shot a target further than 100 yards[emoji15].

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

You can always start with the 308 and learn as you go, and then make your mind up on what you want next.

Comment

So many choices and variables! Good advice above, welcome to your new addiction support group.

If you are making clean kills at 400 currently why not stick with that setup out to 600? Enter a few short 600 yard fclass shoots and see where you want to change up equipment wise.

What kind of distances do you have access to for practice?

Sent from my SM-G975U using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by Black Ice View Post
            Start shooting long range first with what you have and upgrade from there.

I’m close to 20k in on three rifles with glass and haven’t shot a target further than 100 yards[emoji15].

We really need to change that!!

Comment

Long range advice needed

Originally posted by -HIC- View Post
              We really need to change that!!

Unfortunately long range shooting around Baton Rouge is terrible. The gun club I belong to only has a 100 yard range.

I have the opportunity to shoot 1000 yards at the ranch but I’m too busy mowing or cutting brush the few times I go in the off season. Not to mention it’s a 9 hr drive to get there.

Last edited by Black Ice; 05-13-2019, 10:43 PM.

Comment

There are PRS guys all over the US and I'm sure this is the case in Baton Rouge. I would source a PRS guy out and try to find a range. I did this exact thing when I relocated to St Louis. I now have access to steel up to 2000.

My recommendation is to sell and custom build a rifle. My first instinct was to build a rifle that will accommodate my desires to shoot long range and hunt with, this was a mistake. I have found the platforms are just much different. I would recommend building a hunting platform (8lbs rifle) and a bench/competition rifle. I shoot my hunting rifles way past 1,000 yards but they lack the comforts a heavier rifle offers. I also don't like burning up barrels on my hunting rifles. I would call a custom gun maker and get suggestions on a caliber that fits your needs. I personally like GAP rifles. My preferred calibers would be 6.5PRC, 6.5 SAUM (4S), 6.5 CM. 6 CM, 300PRC (for extreme ranges and big animals).

Comment

To the OP: A lot of good advice above, but keep in mind that many long range shooters started and learned at lot with 308s. It may depend on how your 308 is configured, but 1K and beyond is certainly doable with a 308. Yes, there are better cartridges but since you already have this one you could start with it. I also agree with the statement above, its nice to have a rig configured for hunting and another for long range competition/recreation.

Originally posted by Black Ice View Post
                  Unfortunately long range shooting around Baton Rouge is terrible. The gun club I belong to only has a 100 yard range.

I have the opportunity to shoot 1000 yards at the ranch but I’m too busy mowing or cutting brush the few times I go in the off season. Not to mention it’s a 9 hr drive to get there.

Apologies to OP for stepping on his thread, but just wanted to tell Black Ice that there is a 600 yard range right down the road from you in Donaldsonville. It may be hard (and expensive) to join the club (Palo Alto), but you can shoot in any of the F-class matches (monthly) without being a member. Great place to get some longer range experience, and have fun!

Comment

If you’re wanting a LR rifle that’s not a match rifle then it’s pretty easy to build one that does both. I don’t have any use for match rifles, and I don’t have any use for rifles I can’t stretch out. I’ve had a few diffferent rifles in the 7lb range that were far more than adequate for 1200. My 6.5 SAUM I wouldn’t hesitate with it taking deer sized game at 800. Myself on the other hand is a different story, and I’ve stretched it past a mile. I’ve stretched my factory Seekins Havak in 6 Creedmoor to 1280 with factory ammo so far. Haven’t tried past that though.

As far as the 308 goes Id see how it shoots quality ammo first. If it doesn’t like it, then don’t waste your time. You’ll spend more time and money trying to learn with something that isnt consistent enough to know whether it’s you or the ammo/rifle. If the gun isn’t shooting, then no reason to stick with the caliber. If you load you’ll be at an advantage here. You can fine tune the ammo to the rifle, and you’ll have better selection of options when it comes time to upgrade.

The best thing I can say is take out as many variables as you can while learning. It’s hard to learn when you can’t pinpoint the problem. Also don’t be afraid to dry fire. Sit down and get used to being behind the rifle. Watch your breathing while dry firing, and make sure you’re doing your part.

Comment

Working...
                    X