The Elk Thread

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by BuckSmasher View Post
    If you feel comfortable discussing on a public forum, why did you choose the Panhandle? I too am interested in Idaho as a DIY OTC alternative to Colorado but my research has lead me to the southeastern portion of the state and along the Oregon line in the Hells Canyon area.
    I have a BIL and nephew up there for support. We will set up camp in the area they plan on rifle hunting in October and I will be able to scout for them also. The nephew sets chokers for a logging outfit, so he is in the woods everyday and will pick the area we hunt. It ended up costing $612 for the hunting license, elk tag, and archery permit.

Comment

The elk will be screaming in the mountains before you know it. Gotta love the anticipation of the new year. Get to go hunt Antelope starting on sept 24, head back to the elk woods for one last scouting trip, and then off to guide my buddy sept 14 th on his NM unit 36 hunt.

Comment

SCOUTING TRIP CUT SHORT:
        Just a warning to be careful out there this year guys:

Headed up last night with my wife and camped about 11,000 feet, hit the top of the continental divide this morning and at the first glassing spot picked up 25 elk with 3 bulls.
        Moved on another 1/4 mile and was able to see into another basin, saw a nice herd of elk moving along a game trail with 2 bulls in the rear.
        While trying to point them out to my wife, she said she was looking at a different group of elk....

Sure enough, another 8 elk with one really good bull.

Enough elk, I was looking for a good buck. Tough luck there, couldn't find one. We started to move to another glassing location and while following the ridge line of the continental divide my wife tripped and hit the ground on her left knee pretty hard.

I go to check on her and she pulls her pants leg up for me to see....first thing I see is a hole about the size of my finger, and I'm looking at tendons about a half inch in there!
        Luckily, no bleeding which I found odd....
        I tell her we should "probably" head back to the truck...
        She suggests I should go on scouting while she gets back to the truck herself.....not going to happen, but shows her support for my passion of hunting.

By the time we get to the truck there is some bleeding but not too bad.
        The swelling made it much easier to look at for sure, but we got some ice on it with it bandaged and headed down the mountain.

Made it to the urgent care center and after some stitches everything was good.
        Home now in Colorado Springs, thankful it wasn't much worse.

You guys may want to add sutures to your first aid kit, it was the only thing that was going to help in this situation.

Comment

Ouch! glad she's OK.

Comment

Originally posted by ELKAHOLIC View Post
            Ouch! glad she's OK.
            Thanks, figured we all needed a reminder to be prepared come hunting season.

For those hunting remote locations alone, check into a satellite phone or SPOT for emergency use.
            I personally use a SPOT and was glad I had it with me when the incident happened, didn't use it but it was an option.

Comment

WOW!! so glad she got treatment. The wild is dangerous.
              Will be praying she heals quick!!

Comment

Originally posted by a3dhunter View Post
                For those hunting remote locations alone, check into a satellite phone or SPOT for emergency use.
                I personally use a SPOT and was glad I had it with me when the incident happened, didn't use it but it was an option.
                Hope she heals well 3d and very good advise on the SAT phone or Spot.

Comment

3 weeks and 5 hours before I leave for New Mexico!

It's funny...I think about and plan for Elk hunting year round and it still seems like it sneaks up on me. So many I's to dot and T's to cross. I can't wait!

Comment

Another SPOT user here as well, well worth the peace of mind.

Comment

Originally posted by drthornton View Post
                      3 weeks and 5 hours before I leave for New Mexico!

It's funny...I think about and plan for Elk hunting year round and it still seems like it sneaks up on me. So many I's to dot and T's to cross. I can't wait!
                      LOL me too. For some reason I get super busy here at the shop for the last month before I go! Then its a mad scramble working 12-14 hour days 7 days a week up until the time I go!

Comment

Originally posted by ELKAHOLIC View Post
                        LOL me too. For some reason I get super busy here at the shop for the last month before I go! Then its a mad scramble working 12-14 hour days 7 days a week up until the time I go!
                        Man, I thought I was the only one that happened to.

Comment

It's getting close to go time.

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TSpGd9p17n0"]ELK BUGLING IN ROCKY MOUNTAIN NATIONAL PARK HD - YouTube[/ame]

Comment

What are the laws regarding tagging elk if you can’t get it all out in one load? If you are hunting by yourself or with one other person you will be making several trips back and forth from the carcass to your vehicle causing you to have meat and antlers at two locations, but only one tag.

I would personally fell more comfortable keeping the tag with me (filled out of course), but am unsure what the law states.

Comment

I'm not real sure if there are any rules concerning this other than put on tag right after kill. If you are in the act of packing out. I have always tagged the quarter with evidence of sex and carried it out first. If you are in the process of packing out I don't think they will give you any trouble but I feel better putting my tag on the meat right away.

Comment

CO you have to leave Proof of Sex attached.

Few units in NM you have to debone and cap skull.

Comment

Working...
                                X