No announcement yet.

Scope mounting

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

We’re those high rings? Looks like ya need lows unless you got a cheek piece? Sweet rig!

Originally posted by mmlreiner View Post
    Lol thanks brother!! Unfortunately the seekins are a tad too high after going through all sitting positions (including prone) Ordered lower and they’ll be here Friday. But dang it’s awesome!! It’s the custom 7mm STW that another member had for sale on here a couple of months ago.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Comment

They’re extra high. 1.26. I ordered high which are 1.00. Seekins doesn’t have medium and low is .92 so I picked the high. Should fit perfect. Now I’ll have to sell the ones I have plus a badger ordinance set I also have that are 30mm.

Comment

Vortex match rings are the same seekins if you need medium or lows. Those badgers will sell quick!

They’re extra high. 1.26. I ordered high which are 1.00. Seekins doesn’t have medium and low is .92 so I picked the high. Should fit perfect. Now I’ll have to sell the ones I have plus a badger ordinance set I also have that are 30mm.

Comment

Originally posted by sir shovelhands View Post
          I buy nice scope rings, but I never saw how the quality mattered if you're not using one-piece scope mounts with regards to lapping since you'll have a lot of tolerance stacking from the ring to base to ring. Check it with the alignment tool, it'll tell you if they're lined up. Edit: If they're good quality CNC machined ones (like Seekins), and they line up, I generally assume they'll have good surface contact and don't lap.

Does lapping provide benefits? Clearly. Even pressure on the scope so it's clamping stress is evenly spread out and ensuring proper alignment so the scope doesn't have a bending force on it. But unless your rings are really off, you probably wouldn't be able to tell a difference in your shooting a lapped vs unlapped set of rings.

Originally posted by meltingfeather View Post
          When I lapped my Seekins rings on a Seekins rail I got uneven finish removal. I posted about it and got a lot of flak from the "spend more money and don't worry about it" crew.
          Link
          I lap every time. Whether or not it makes a difference is debatable, however it certainly does not hurt.

Ditto these two.

Lapping:
          Do you have to? Obviously not.

Does it provide benefit? Probably/maybe.

Can it hurt? No.

Levels aren’t required but sure speed up the process.

Hit me up if you want help, I have everything for 1” & 30mm rings.

Comment

I don't think you need to lap Seekins or Talleys.

Comment

I lapped my ARC rings....just because

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by gfulton View Post
                I don't think you need to lap Seekins or Talleys.

Have you ever lapped a set of Talley to see what % had contact?

I have and I lap every set.

Comment

New rings came in, set it up there before leaving for work. Looks fantastic and sits perfectly in line with my cheek. Now I need to level it, put a little lock tight on the screws and take her to the range!!

Comment

put a little lock tight on the screws
                    Base screws sure, clamp screws I don't see a need to.

Comment

New rings came in, set it up there before leaving for work. Looks fantastic and sits perfectly in line with my cheek. Now I need to level it, put a little lock tight on the screws and take her to the range!!

Seekins recommends not using loctite. It’ll play with the torque reading. I’ve ran 12-13 sets of Seekins rings and never had any issues without.

Comment

And done.

Comment

Awesome! Good shooting. Gun looks great too. What stock is that?

Comment

Originally posted by Silentnight View Post
                            Awesome! Good shooting. Gun looks great too. What stock is that?

Bell and Carlson A5 Medalist fully adjustable. Which I wasn’t sure I’d like but **** it fits well. Very, very ergonomic. A little heavy but that works well with a caliber like this. It shot incredibly easy without too much kick.

Comment

I thought that's what it was. Glad to hear you like it so much. I was thinking about getting one for my rifle one day.

Comment

Nice looking rig

Comment

Working...
                                X