Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Thanks brother!

Comment

Anybody else self-film? I'm thinking about taking a stab at it this year.

Comment

I went to LBJ this week for the first time in several years. The last time was before Froggy retired so that should fix a timeline.
        Just recently retired and now have the time to pursue things that make me happy like camping and bowhunting and fishing and bike riding.
        I rode my bike for about 1 1/2 days on the trails out there and covered 20 times the amount of territory in comparison with hiking for several years prior. I could ride up on feeding deer and they would just look at me till I was about 20--40 yards away.
        Needless to say I had an amazing time.

For you all who go regularly I invite you to stop and visit if you see me hanging out.
        I have no special place to camp so I could be anywhere out there but here's a pciture of my outfit so you will know all are welcome.

Pat Miller
        Attached Files

Comment

Originally posted by Pat Miller View Post

Pat Miller

Pat! How have you been? Been missing you around here. And where did you get that camper set up?

Comment

Pat Miller

I'll keep my eyes open for you and come visit. I retired at the end of 2011 so you have been gone awhile.

Nice rig. What brand of bike is that?

Comment

The camper shell is from California called Belair Camper Shells. It's easier to use than a tent so now I've been traveling to a lot of places I've just read about and don't really have to set up a 'camp'.

Hey Dave. The bicycle is a Sondors original fat tire. Price now is about $1100.00.
              Top speed about 20 mph and I can go about 20 miles in between charges using pedal assist.
              Going cross country is really hard on an old man but a lot of fun. There's all sorts of mods you cam do for more power, speed, and longer battery run time But I don't see the use in spending the money since it's all I can to to stay on it for the original time it provides.

Lots of changes to LBJ since I've been out there. But I only covered about 3 different sections in my 2 1/2 days of camping.
              I rode up on several deer feeding where as if I were walking they would have been long gone. I did not see any hog sign but saw several ponds I had no idea that were there.
              I did wonder it they were "fishable"?

See you all soon I hope. Pat Miller

Comment

Originally posted by troy_w_7 View Post
                i do i did get a doe shot on camera on opening morning last year but never recovered it so never posted it on my channel will again this year https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC5f...h14xpnAUCYzkw?
                mostly hog hunting with my cannon but will do some archery deer hunts this year

Comment

Originally posted by Froggy View Post
                  I'll keep my eyes open for you and come visit. I retired at the end of 2011 so you have been gone awhile.

Nice rig. What brand of bike is that?
                  So what's the status on using motorized vehicles on usfs land? I was told no on Corps land. So is usfs open to motorized vehicles?

Comment

It's considered a bicycle and not a strictly motorized vehicle like an atv or utv. Believe me when I say you are pedaling on the trails and not just randomly going cross country which is illegal, dangerous, and bone jarring-the trails are considered multi use for bikes, equestrian, hiking.
                    I did inquire at the head office in Decatur before riding and an officer did visit my camp while I was there. Nothing was said about the bike.

Another take on it is if it looks like a bike, rides like a bike it must be a bike. They aren't built like a motorcycle for speed and torque and tearing things up and believe me, trail riding is hard, bone jarring, slow, visual, and concentrating.

Comment

It's considered a bicycle and not a strictly motorized vehicle like an atv or utv. Believe me when I say you are pedaling on the trails and not just randomly going cross country which is illegal, dangerous, and bone jarring-the trails are considered multi use for bikes, equestrian, hiking.
                      I did inquire at the head office in Decatur before riding and an officer did visit my camp while I was there. Nothing was said about the bike.

Another take on it is if it looks like a bike, rides like a bike it must be a bike. They aren't built like a motorcycle for speed and torque and tearing things up and believe me, trail riding is hard, bone jarring, slow, visual, and concentrating.

Comment

I've posted more in one day than I have in years!

Comment

Originally posted by Pat Miller View Post

Yes I hear what you are saying. That is good. I'm trying to be legit. I was told no pedal assist whatsoever when I was inquiring about using one on Corp land. Didnt matter if the battery wasnt on it or electric motor was not working - could not have it on Corp land beyond the parking lot as it was termed a motorized vehicle

Comment

Originally posted by troy_w_7 View Post
                            I’ve been trying the last two seasons! I harvested a buck at a lease but the filming was subpar. It’s a whole different beast. I have POV cams and digital. The hardest part for me was to constantly pan in and out or allow for focus while trying to work on an ethical shot.

I also attempted while on a mule deer hunt. My shot was forward and instead of following up with a second, I lifted my head and tried to follow the deer as it ran off. I initially thought it was a good shot but it wasn’t. I was too busy trying to find the animal on my digital that I lost where it went too.

So all in all. It’s hard work and for me not that rewarding, YET!

Comment

Today on the Grasslands I saw my first wild blackberries. I've been coming out here on and off for about 15 years and the new discoveries just amaze me.
                              I also noticed the wild plums are just about ripe. They make great jelly.
                              Saw a velvet buck this afternoon. Rode up to him about 15 yards before he bolted but he was young and still way under developed in mass.
                              I also found several good areas for tree stands. Lots of tall hardwoods, creeks & crossings, trails, and several ponds I had no idea they were there.
                              It was a good day.

Comment

Exploring always allows envision!

Comment

Working...
                                X