No announcement yet.

Coaching Select Baseball

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I sure miss those days. I coached both of my sons from t-ball through select baseball. I sure understand what your saying OP. Especially the Jr high kids that play football too. That coach wants them lifting

Comment

I mentioned it in the other thread but we have a 8th grade running back that just benched 300 and squatted 320. I am a fan of working out and lifting in middle school, it just seems to me that weight like that can't be good for a growing kid.

Comment

Originally posted by COACH_EM_UP View Post
        Maxing out has a purpose. Most coaches and strength programs lift based on a percentage of a total, therefore there has to be a max out weight for the kid to get any stronger, see any gains, etc. If there is no baseline or anything to measure against, then why even lift. How are you going to know if the kid is getting stronger; how would anyone know whether or not to adjust the workout; why even lift if a kid is going to put a 5 lb weight on each side and never lift anymore than that. It starts in middle school. I obviously like weights and a weight program. Without it, kids are just spinning their wheels. A good weight program must be the basis for any athletic program and sport. Without it, the kid is not going to benefit. Just my two cents.

I am with you. “Coaches” that think that baseball players don’t need to lift are one of the biggest reason in surge in injuries. The kids are getting overworked throwing and don’t have a base for strength or athletic movements.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

I don’t think lifting weights at that age is the problem. When I was in 8th grade my dad made me work out with him before school just about every day. Granted this was with a certified personal trainer at a reputable gym. Because of this I was one of the strongest kids in my freshman class. Also didn’t have any throwing issues at all during high school or college baseball. If the kids are lifting correctly and not over working themselves I see it as being nothing but beneficial. Being over worked and lifting with poor form or technique can injure adults much less 13 or 14 year old kids. So that’s a different issue.

Comment

Originally posted by chunkinlead View Post
            I am with you. “Coaches” that think that baseball players don’t need to lift are one of the biggest reason in surge in injuries. The kids are getting overworked throwing and don’t have a base for strength ngeror athletic movements.

Wrong baseball coaches believe in working out and getting stronger period! Good coaches don't over work the kids the parents do 90% of the time with tournaments then lessons every week and then blame the coach easy to do. We believe in strength and conditioning to help prevent injuries. Most of these 7th grade kids just started lifting and they need to do it the right way by someone that knows what's going on.

Comment

Originally posted by COACH_EM_UP View Post
              Maxing out has a purpose. Most coaches and strength programs lift based on a percentage of a total, therefore there has to be a max out weight for the kid to get any stronger, see any gains, etc. If there is no baseline or anything to measure against, then why even lift. How are you going to know if the kid is getting stronger; how would anyone know whether or not to adjust the workout; why even lift if a kid is going to put a 5 lb weight on each side and never lift anymore than that. It starts in middle school. I obviously like weights and a weight program. Without it, kids are just spinning their wheels. A good weight program must be the basis for any athletic program and sport. Without it, the kid is not going to benefit. Just my two cents.
              A great weight program is crucial, but let's be honest how many coaches actually instruct the kids correctly and monitor their every lift? That's the problem and kid's get hurt every day. I too have seen alot of injuries on the baseball field as a result and power cleans seem to be the common denominator. Maxing out is one thing, but lifting to failure really makes no sense for 7th and 8th graders. It should be more based on learning correctly now so they can get max results later. Also it's a proven fact that kids shouldn't do heavy lifting before puberty and plenty of these boys are far from it in the 7th and 8th grade. It's really not as cut and dry as it seems. Just my two cents and if you are a coach who actually invests time to make sure these kids are doing it right then hats off to you.

Comment

sounds like a female venting session. Your a coach who has been doing this. Stay away from that and blaming others.

That's the parent in you coming out. You don't like that parent in the select world correct?

Comment

Originally posted by cwill View Post
                  A great weight program is crucial, but let's be honest how many coaches actually instruct the kids correctly and monitor their every lift? That's the problem and kid's get hurt every day. I too have seen alot of injuries on the baseball field as a result and power cleans seem to be the common denominator. Maxing out is one thing, but lifting to failure really makes no sense for 7th and 8th graders. It should be more based on learning correctly now so they can get max results later. Also it's a proven fact that kids shouldn't do heavy lifting before puberty and plenty of these boys are far from it in the 7th and 8th grade. It's really not as cut and dry as it seems. Just my two cents and if you are a coach who actually invests time to make sure these kids are doing it right then hats off to you.
                  Wives tale about the puberty thing. Load bearing activity is beneficial at all ages.

Comment

I agree with coach em up. You cannot even compete in tennis anymore without strength training.

At the middle school age you first have to make sure the have fundamentals nailed down, once they are good then you take off the training wheels and let them eat.

The way I run it is dependant on the kid. I have 8th graders still limited to basically the bare bar on every lift until they master technique. And I have 6th graders squatting 200+ *****2Ground for reps. We only 1rm once a year at the end of the year. Rest of the year we go off rep schemes and percentages that are tailored to each kid and what they can do. But if they aren't training to failure they are not getting stronger, and then you are wasting time.

Biggest thing with the younger boys is you have to have multiple coaches in the weight room watching everything they do. Our rule is if you need help from the spotter or your form isn't perfect you take weight off until it is, doesn't matter how bad they want to set a PR.

I do realize not all coaches have the background I have in S&C. But I think at this point with youtube, coaching school, etc. There are more good coaches than bad out there about strength.

Always seems to be the old school baseball and basketball guys I still hear the most griping from about kids lifting.

Comment

Originally posted by Flex View Post
                      I agree with coach em up. You cannot even compete in tennis anymore without strength training.

At the middle school age you first have to make sure the have fundamentals nailed down, once they are good then you take off the training wheels and let them eat.

The way I run it is dependant on the kid. I have 8th graders still limited to basically the bare bar on every lift until they master technique. And I have 6th graders squatting 200+ *****2Ground for reps. We only 1rm once a year at the end of the year. Rest of the year we go off rep schemes and percentages that are tailored to each kid and what they can do. But if they aren't training to failure they are not getting stronger, and then you are wasting time.

Biggest thing with the younger boys is you have to have multiple coaches in the weight room watching everything they do. Our rule is if you need help from the spotter or your form isn't perfect you take weight off until it is, doesn't matter how bad they want to set a PR.

I do realize not all coaches have the background I have in S&C. But I think at this point with youtube, coaching school, etc. There are more good coaches than bad out there about strength.

Always seems to be the old school baseball and basketball guys I still hear the most griping from about kids lifting.
                      Sounds like you guys do it right! Sure wish all schools would understand this concept, but sadly they don't.

Comment

Originally posted by cwill View Post
                        Sounds like you guys do it right! Sure wish all schools would understand this concept, but sadly they don't.
                        And most lift up to the bell and no stretching afterwards......

Comment

Working...
                        X