Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

The Official 2019 TBH APR Special Thread!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by txfirefighter_04 View Post
    I was leaning that way but think I’m going with Swarovski Z6i now
    I've been looking at those too but I've heard of tracking problems and I'm having a hard time figuring out how their dials work - metric, moa, mils. Swaro's website doesn't seem particularly helpful. Maybe I need to dig around more.

For last year's build I did a Leupold VX-6 and it's pretty darn good. Zero stop, good tracking so far, useful and lighted reticle, and not too big or heavy.

Comment

Originally posted by txfirefighter_04 View Post
      I was leaning that way but think I’m going with Swarovski Z6i now
      Swarovski is great but I want first focal plane. Which puts me at the x5 and a different price point.

Sent from my SM-G892U using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by Silentnight View Post
        Have one sitting in the safe for it. I went mil though because that's what my other scope is
        Have you been happy with your other one? 3-18 or 5-25?

I like the weight and size of the 3-18.

Comment

Originally posted by robie View Post
          Swarovski is great but I want first focal plane. Which puts me at the x5 and a different price point.

Robie, do you know what you give up with the short Mark 5 scope that is 3.6-18x44? It's only 12in long compared to 15.5in for the 5-25. You've got to think shortening a scope by that much affects something.

Comment

Have you been happy with your other one? 3-18 or 5-25?

I like the weight and size of the 3-18.

Other scope is a vortex 4.5-27 gen2 razor. I like it but it weighs a ton. Leupold is roughly 20oz lighter so I went with it. Also wanted to see how the Leupold would differ from the vortex in quality.

Sorry if it sounded like I had a mark 5 on the other rifle

My mark 5 in the safe is a 5-25

Comment

Originally posted by OKFF610 View Post
              It comes with a 20 MOA rail but if I don’t wanna use the rail I wanna know the base that fits it. I want Talley bases and rings.
              Im doing the tier 2 and was told to get the Talleys that are made for the Stiller tactical with recoil pin.

LIGHTWEIGHT ALLOY SCOPE MOUNTS The one-piece construction of the Talley Lightweight Alloy Scope Mount is unique. The rigid design has no joint between the scope and the rifle. The Talley Lightweight unitized design eliminates the possibility of an "out of alignment" interface or "loose connection" between the ring and base of traditional two-piece designs. Ultimately this provides more strength and durability than rival steel rings and bases but doing it with a lighter overall weight. By extruding the 7000 series alloy known for its durability and then precision CNC machining the mount to its final design we can provide you with the strongest, lightest mount system on the market.

I'm going with the Leupold VX6HD 3-18x50 and ordered the medium's

Comment

Went with another Nightforce SHV 5-20X56, Low Ultralight rings, the deal I got was too good to turn down

Swarovski is my favorite, I have this Z6 on my Altus 6.5 Creedmoor, Once I decide on my "load" I will run ballistics and call Swarovski for another custom ballistic turret. For LR hunting, I have found they are VERY effective. Pictures below show my McWhorter 6.5 Weatherby out to 600 using turret settings.

Swarovskis click value is different, perfect for hunting. I have contacted Swarovski about making a turret marked for Mil/MOA markings, they only do it on the X5

Comment

Anyone else looking at putting a Leopold Mark 5 on this setup? I like the new MOA offering.

I will be using the Mk5HD 5-25x56 on my build. I handled the scope at Collectors Firearms the other day and it’s super light. It’s gotten good reviews as far as I’ve found. I may buy a second for my 300wm as well. Also, Leupold gives a deal to military/vets/LEO if you qualify. I was torn between it and the Vortex Razor AMG but the leupold wins out due by being a better value on a great scope.

Comment

I seriously considered the Mk5HD. I have a MK6 with a TMR reticle, but I have been frustrated with how much extra it costs to get one of these with an Illuminated Reticle. I ended up going with the Vortex Razor HD. I know it weighs a lot more than the MK5, but I figured with the weight savings of the Tier 1, I could afford to go heavier on the scope!

Comment

Originally posted by ColinR View Post
                      Im doing the tier 2 and was told to get the Talleys that are made for the Stiller tactical with recoil pin.

LIGHTWEIGHT ALLOY SCOPE MOUNTS The one-piece construction of the Talley Lightweight Alloy Scope Mount is unique. The rigid design has no joint between the scope and the rifle. The Talley Lightweight unitized design eliminates the possibility of an "out of alignment" interface or "loose connection" between the ring and base of traditional two-piece designs. Ultimately this provides more strength and durability than rival steel rings and bases but doing it with a lighter overall weight. By extruding the 7000 series alloy known for its durability and then precision CNC machining the mount to its final design we can provide you with the strongest, lightest mount system on the market.

I'm going with the Leupold VX6HD 3-18x50 and ordered the medium's
                      Ok thanks for the info!

Comment

Originally posted by ATXArcher View Post
                        I seriously considered the Mk5HD. I have a MK6 with a TMR reticle, but I have been frustrated with how much extra it costs to get one of these with an Illuminated Reticle. I ended up going with the Vortex Razor HD. I know it weighs a lot more than the MK5, but I figured with the weight savings of the Tier 1, I could afford to go heavier on the scope!
                        How often do you use the illumination feature hunting? I’ve considered whether it’s worth the added cost. I always tell myself I wouldn’t use it much and batteries would keep going out. Etc.

Comment

I use it a lot. Most of my rifles these days have illumination, especially if I’m using a first focal plane scope to hunt with. If I end up turning the magnification down to the lower end, the illumination really helps out early and late.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

I have a Razor HD Gen II on a lightweight rifle and it's the perfect overall weight for a rifle chambered in a bigger cartridge, not too heavy at all.

I also love the Leupold VX5HD, it's perfect for a lightweight package on a smaller cartridge like a PRC.

Comment

Just my .02, my first Nightforce was the NXS with illuminated mil-dot. I never used it, no need cuz the glass was so good. But I'm an old school guy. Just give me a SIMPLE , SECOND FP, MOA scope. With a duplex or MOART
                              I'm too crotchity to change my ways, but I let all the young, tacticool "operators" get wrapped up in all the Christmas Tree type reticles, all lit up.

NOW, this being said there are many Serious ELR, PRS, shooters who use these and its second nature for them , including a couple on here.

IMO, 99% of us on here are hunters, we have range finders and easy to read ballistic data cards OR ballistic turrets to dial to our needed aiming point. 99% of us will and should NOT attempt a 500+ yard shot on a live animal unless you are 100% ready.

now back to illumination

I do love my Leupold V-6, 1-6 FireDot, simple put the dot where you want the bullet to go

Comment

Originally posted by Buzzsaw View Post
                                I'm too crotchity
                                Agreed

Comment

Working...
                                X