No announcement yet.

New Cartridge

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

after a little research, the 280AI seems like a great choice as well. though,as mentioned above, i dont know what kind of factory options there are.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using Tapatalk

Comment

Horizon Firearms make a hell of a gun!!! Check em out! Located in College Station
      If I ever get the chance to make a custom rifle I'm going with them!!

Comment

Originally posted by F0WL_LIF3 View Post
        Horizon Firearms make a hell of a gun!!! Check em out! Located in College Station
        If I ever get the chance to make a custom rifle I'm going with them!!

https://www.horizonfirearms.com/

I know Derrick well. He has done some work for me, but I'm dead set on APR building this rifle.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by Geraldg6 View Post
          I know Derrick well. He has done some work for me, but I'm dead set on APR building this rifle.

Good choice on APR. Robert is as good as they come. Wassup Stick1!

Comment

Originally posted by Geraldg6 View Post

Didn't see that in first post. Read to fast I guess lol!

Comment

Originally posted by F0WL_LIF3 View Post
              Didn't see that in first post. Read to fast I guess lol!

No worries

Comment

I am wanting a 28nosler. Should fit the bill of what you are wanting

Comment

I recently traded for a brand new long action McMillan stock and I'm contemplating what to have APR build with it. Already have 30-06,270, 300 win mag, 7mm rem mag, 270 wsm, 35 whelen. Not sure a 280ai will do anything I can't already do with the 270 or 270 wsm....out to my 400 yrd max.

Comment

@ITSHEETS would say 28 Nosler.

Comment

If you reload hold off a little bit. APR is working on a 7mm la cartridge that will make a very nice hunting round.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

Comment

For hunting rifle I would go with a 7mm mag it will do all you want or need.

Comment

If by reach out to 800 yards you mean the ability to kill at that range it should start with the 280AI and go up from there. If you don't reload, the 7 rem mag would be ideal. I know it seems as if I may have mentioned it once or twice before but there's a reason.

Look at the numbers required to kill an animal. Pick a caliber then pick a cartridge that will deliver your bullet to 800 yards and meet the performance numbers required to kill.

For example most will agree that you need 1500 pounds of energy to kill an elk and 1000 to kill a deer. What's equally or more important is impact velocity. Most long range bullets require around 1800 FPS to reliably perform on game.

Now, simply look at your ballistics charts and see what does the best at 800 in meeting to above minimums... I promise you a 160-180 grain high BC 7mm bullet launched at 3000-3100 fps will be darn hard to beat. That says 7RM all day long at 800 yards.

I'm sure by now that someone has shot a Cape Buffalo at 1000 yards with a 6.5CM but it's not the best choice for long range killing of game beyond 4-500 yards IMO. I personally would like to deliver a bullet at the intended range with more than minimum performance numbers. Remember, now you have to go find the point of impact and track that critter.
                          Last edited by Slick8; 08-05-2017, 07:14 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by TexasAg'13 View Post
                            If you reload hold off a little bit. APR is working on a 7mm la cartridge that will make a very nice hunting round.

The 7mm APR is already in use

Comment

Originally posted by bboswell View Post
                              The 7mm APR is already in use
                              Good to know! Last I saw it was still being tested out.

Comment

Originally posted by TexasAg'13 View Post
                                Good to know! Last I saw it was still being tested out.

I don't know if they are chamfering customer rifles in it yet but it is what Robert is shooting in competition.

Comment

Working...
                                X