Game ranch escapees

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Game ranch escapees

Hypothetically if a game ranch loses a bunch of exotics due to a flooded fence and the stuff gets out, what is free game to shoot and what is “livestock”? Elk, axis, oryx most would consider free game if they walked out to your feeder but what about a buffalo or a zebra? Do you just let them walk? Are there laws that protect them or are they legally ok to shoot?

This is truly hypothetical and I wonder what folks here would do.

Call landowner and report the sighting?

Boom…..?

Give it a few months and then game on?

Let them walk and say nothing?

What would you do???

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I would be buying a new freezer and getting ready for a taxidermy bill.

Comment

Depending on how good of a relationship you had with said neighbor would depend in my opinion. I’d 100% be shooting them. We had a blackbuck escape on the tall fences next to us and we shot him. We’re low fence. Unless said animal is tagged how would they 100% know it’s their animal? I don’t think legally there is anything they can do if they end up on your side and get shot.

Comment

I have been told if it has an ear tag it’s someone’s property. Tagged

Comment

Originally posted by D12 View Post
          I have been told if it has an ear tag it’s someone’s property. Tagged
          How are they going to get Their property back on Their ranch?

Comment

Ear tag or marked in some way they are considered estray livestock and can not be shot.
            From TPW website:
            Attached Files

Comment

What ear tag

Sent from my SM-N986U using Tapatalk

Comment

I try to be a good neighbor, so I'd call my neighbor first.

Comment

what about ear tagged whitetail?

Comment

Originally posted by sling shot View Post
                    What ear tag

Sent from my SM-N986U using Tapatalk
                    Bingo

Comment

I try to be a good neighbor so I would at least offer them 1/2 of a back strap..
                      Last edited by PondPopper; 02-05-2023, 01:00 PM.

Comment

I would you get them or owner get them back to their property. Have to hopefully have a corral, maybe some herding dogs or tranquilizer darts to shot them with.I would for sure talk to the owner and give him a chance. Maybe beneficial to let the free range and reproduce

Comment

I want no part of any exotic on my property, all would be shot on site.

Comment

Depends on the landowner. My cousin across the street from us called the closest exotic ranch and told them a red stag bull was showing up to his feeder. Guy came out and darted him and was very appreciative…then the guy went around bragging about that not being his stag in the first place.
                            The next stag went in their freezer…then an Eland lol

It’s like the great George Bush jr once said…fool me once, shame on you…you fool me you can’t fool me again

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Gemsbok and Kudu north of Mercedes coming soon, please hold your fire thinking about it anyways. The locals have left me alone for 20 years so far but want to try fencing around the house and have breeding herds of these 2 super exotics. I raised low end exotics before and could barely give them away. Going to try again with higher end animals. We have access to all kinds of locally raised super exotics that can be bought thru a broker who captures and transports. Cold weather has helped prices I guess. I don’t think good neighbors shoot each other's livestock in this day and age

Comment

Working...
                              X