Nilgai roast

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Nilgai roast

Smoking a nilgai roast today. Probably 7 or 8lbs. I have no idea what internal temp to take it too. Just do it to around 200 like a butt or brisket?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

200 seams way hot to me
    I’d think somewhere around 145

Comment

Originally posted by OldRiverRat View Post
      200 seams way hot to me
      I’d think somewhere around 145

I’d smoke at 240 degrees to a internal temp of 135 then wrap with real butter and rest

Comment

If it's lean like whitetail, I would try smoking at 225 degrees and pull when the roasts reach 145. That gets me medium rare on whitetail roasts.

Comment

Bringing this back up...anybody had any success smoking one? I've got a couple that I'm trying to figure out what to do with.

Thanks

Chris

Comment

Originally posted by outlook8 View Post
            Bringing this back up...anybody had any success smoking one? I've got a couple that I'm trying to figure out what to do with.

Thanks

Chris
            You might consider putting in slow roaster or big crockpot with a little water for a few hours and then add cut quartered potatoes and carrots and some onion with seasoning. 30 minutes before done add a can or 2 of cream of mushroom soup.

Comment

I’ll definitely be doing that with one of them (I’ve got 3), but wanted to try to smoke one like a brisket as well, just to try it. Randomly, Joe Rogan posted this one today…

I asked him for the recipe, not sure I’ll get a response though

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Looks great.👍👍

Comment

That looks amazing!

Comment

They're bovine, treat it like beef.

Comment

Originally posted by justletmein View Post
                      They're bovine, treat it like beef.
                      Right, but do I cook it like a brisket, or cook it like a ribeye??

Might try to sous vide the thing, then sear it.

Comment

I think its gonna keep cooking after you pull it from heat just like any roast or large cut of meat, carryover cooking. If you want a rare or medium rare like Rogans pic, then I would prolly pull it at 115-120 & cover it loosely while it rests, should bring it up to 135-140
                        Last edited by woodsbound; 02-06-2023, 07:26 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by outlook8 View Post
                          Right, but do I cook it like a brisket, or cook it like a ribeye??

Might try to sous vide the thing, then sear it.
                          Rogan reverse sears everything. I wouldn't smoke nilgai like a brisket due to the lack of intermuscular fat. I'd think it would be way to lean to take that far (200*). In for responses...

Comment

Originally posted by BlackHogDown View Post
                            Rogan reverse sears everything. I wouldn't smoke nilgai like a brisket due to the lack of intermuscular fat. I'd think it would be way to lean to take that far (200*). In for responses...
                            Yeah, I'm kinda thinking sous vide might be the way to go now.

Comment

I reverse sear mine and have had absolute perfection. I have never smoked one.

Comment

Working...
                              X