No announcement yet.

School Me On MuzzleLoaders

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I dabbled with them years ago when the extended ML seasons started in some of the east texas counties. I bought a stainless 50 cal Remington 700ML and all sorts of goodies to go with it. My gun used the little percussion caps, but remington did offer a 209 conversion kit that I ended up buying and installing. I have never fired it since installing the 209 conversion, but it is supposed to have much hotter ignition and better performance. I found that shooting loose powder yielded much better accuracy in my gun than the pellets. I can't remember the exact bullet I settled on, but I'm pretty sure it was a T/C shockwave sabot. Killed a couple deer with mine and then just kind of got tired of messing with it and it's been in the safe since. If you like to tinker and have the time to dedicate to cleaning and experimenting you will love it.

Comment

I've built 3 from TC kits years ago.
      .50 and .54 rifles and a .50 mountain pistol.
      My brother still has his .54 and killed a black bear with it up in Canada.
      Some of the best Rottweiler I ever ate. All I ever killed was turkeys and a coyote and a few hard backed Sweets catalogs to see which had more penetration.
      50 cal pistol or .357 mag Dan Wesson. .50 cal mountain pistol won by a good amount with maxi balls and 90gr of FFF.

Back then the TC were better than CVA and had much better hammers and trigger spring mechanisms.

Fun gun but huge PITA to clean and take care of. Mine ended up as a wall hanger decorations.

Comment

I have the CVA Wolf. I had to get one in a hurry for a draw hunt last year and I didn't want to invest a lot of $ into something I did not know if I would be into or say it is not for me. I have to say for me it is very addicting and a blast to shoot. If you're looking to stay in the budget friendly range, for just a few more dollars you could get the CVA Optima V2 (longer Barrell). I will be purchasing one before the next season.
        Unless you are extremely lucky,and your gun loves the first bullet/powder combo you put down the barrel you will have a love hate relationship with it until you figure it out. It may like pellets and sabots, or it may be loose powder and full-bore bullets or some other combo. I currently shoot (2) Triple 777 pellets with a 250grain Hornady SST sabot with Triple7 primers and can get 2" groups at 100yd, but 3" is more the norm for me (I am by far not the greatest marksman).
        I do get the best results when I fire a primer first through the barrel before loading it. I have recently purchased the Blackhorn 209 powder and Breech plug, but have yet to find the Magnum Primers that they suggest needs to be used with the BH.

Comment

Then there are smokeless muzzleloaders, if they are legal you'll never wished you had your regular rifle.
          https://youtu.be/6_9OGOMMytc

https://youtu.be/IlQ5dZRfOOs

Comment

Originally posted by Justin Spies View Post
            I have never even fired one, but for some reason I have a desire to take a buck with one. Oklahoma has a pretty prime season for them as well.

What is the best mid priced one? I see alot of CVA on the hunting shows if that is worth anything.
            I have a CVA Accura package for sale-- has quality (Williams Western) iron sights and a scope mount if you hunt a state where that is legal. All put the rifle, sights, breech plug and LR bullets are $800+ and Id like to move it for $500

Comment

Originally posted by Buff View Post
              I am a big fan of the old style Hawkin type rifles and real black powder.
              That said I have several TC encore rifles and decided to order a 45 cal barrel from MGM. I ordered some oversized bullets from Arroehead and a sizing tool to match them to the barrel.
              With 80 grains by weight of 209 powder, it shoots as good as any rifle I own.

October country .54
              [ATTACH]1118343[/ATTACH]

I sadly got rid of my .54’s when I made the move to Texas.

Comment

Originally posted by Texans42 View Post
                my advice get one also with iron sights incase a d drilled for scope you ever decide to hunt NM, or CO etc

i use encore
                I use the Williams Western Precision Peep. It will give you a cross for 100 and 200.

Comment

Muzzle loaders are addictive when you get started, but like others have said get use to cleaning and very very often. If you can get stainless or nickel, I would. I have owned .50 caliber Kentucky rifle, 50 caliber Hawken rifle, 50 caliber Hawken pistol, 45 caliber Ruger Old Army pistol, and a 50 caliber CVA Bobcat or Wolf. I still have my Kentucky rifle. Haven’t shot it in 20 yrs.

Comment

I like the old style: .54 cal Lyman Great Plains rifle. Load is 110gr Ffg Black powder, .530 cal round ball, .015 pillow ticking patch lubed with bore butter, Number 11 percussion cap. This combo will shoot clover leaves at 60 yards, and I've taken deer to 110 yds.
                    Attached Files

Comment

Quick question

I want to set up some quick loaders. I have pellets and loose. For separate rifles.

On the loose I'm using BH209 Powder.

Should I use a powder measure or do it by weight? I'm wanting consistency.

I've watched a couple of videos annd there was a difference between a stand alone powder measure and quick loaders with the powder scale on it and also with a scale.

Comment

Buff , that is one of the coolest pics I’ve seen thanks for sharing

Comment

Can you not hunt with a shotgun and slugs during Oklahoma's muzzleloader season? You used to be able to.

Comment

Originally posted by Pushbutton2 View Post
                            Quick question

I want to set up some quick loaders. I have pellets and loose. For separate rifles.

On the loose I'm using BH209 Powder.

Should I use a powder measure or do it by weight? I'm wanting consistency.

I've watched a couple of videos annd there was a difference between a stand alone powder measure and quick loaders with the powder scale on it and also with a scale.
                            I use loose powder and have never weighed a charge. Bothe black powder and triple 7

Comment

I have a REM model 700 in .50 cal. It's almost comical that this is considered primitive. I shoot it out to 200 yds with ease.
                              I love it and the biggest advantage for me is it has opened up a bunch of seasons in western states and sometimes better draw odds.
                              It is heavy tho- not fun to lug around mountains.

Comment

Originally posted by Walker View Post
                                I use loose powder and have never weighed a charge. Bothe black powder and triple 7
                                Thank you

Comment

Working...
                                X