No announcement yet.

Finders Keepers

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

If I know who it belongs to or if there is identification present I'll give it back. If not, ill keep, probably.

Sent from my SM-G991U using Tapatalk

Comment

If I have any way to return whatever it is I'm definitely trying, if you can get it back to the owner and don't make an effort that's theft IMO.

Originally posted by GarGuy View Post
      Found a bank envelope on the floor in a store. It had 1784 bucks and odd cents in change. I figured someone cashed a check for that amount. Called bank abd a lady had cashed a check for exactly that amount. They called her while I was on the phone. She said the money was in her purse. They advised her to make sure, it wasn't. I agreed to meet her at brookshires and gave it back . She seemed angry and barely thanked me. Almost like she accused me of taking it out of her purse. Weird.
      I found an A&M class ring on the gym locker room floor around midnight right before closing. I was the only one in the gym and the last one out usually so owner was obviously not there. I told the front desk and left a note with my contact info on it up there in case somebody asked them if it was found. About a week later I got a call from a guy who said he lost his class ring and setup to meet him either at the gym or at my work building across the street. He showed up and acted like I stole his ring, all huffy and such, never said thanks.

Comment

Originally posted by SmTx View Post
        I had a buddy find a d list celebrity's ID downtown Austin a few years ago. Weirdly enough another buddy of mine mentioned she was at a wedding he attended months before. I was involved in a daisy chain of getting this ID back to her. Her side basically treated us like we stole her ID.
        Stick it in the mailbox

Comment

Originally posted by Drycreek3189 View Post
          When I was running a dozer in the oilfield, I happened to be on a rig up near Groesbeck. I was fueling up my tractor as the rig hands were changing clothes and leaving the location. The tool pusher pulled his coveralls off at his car and was the last one to leave except for me. When I went across the cattleguard I spotted something in the entrance that didn’t belong. Getting out of my truck I realized it was a wallet. No cell phones back then, so I just held onto it after I looked at the driver’s license. The next morning I was first on the location and as soon as he got there he started going to each hand and I knew he was looking for his wallet. I don’t know why as they had left before him. I got off my tractor and told him it was laying in my truck seat. He was greatly relieved because he had close to $200 in it. That was considerably more money in the seventies than it is today ! He tried to give me twenty bucks but I wouldn’t take it, I hope someone would do the same for me.
          Reminds me when I was 18 I ran heavy equipment trucks building the new landfill out here. I had one of them long wallets that stick out, hopped on the disc to disc up all the new clay in the pit before the liner guys installed the liner and when I got out the wallet was gone. I assumed the leather seat worked my wallet out and I disc'd it into the clay behind me. I'd just cashed my paycheck that day and had all the cash in there, pretty big loss for me. About a week later my ID and family pictures showed up near the punch station, no wallet or cash. Somebody found it and kept what they wanted out of it.

Comment

Originally posted by Mitchell8 View Post
            Stick it in the mailbox
            It was threatened and we were begged not to as that would've sent it back to California while she was in Texas.

Comment

Originally posted by Shane View Post
              If you find something that someone lost and you can identify the owner, to then keep it would be stealing.
              This.
              I would give back asap.

Comment

Originally posted by ThisLadyHunts View Post
                I have always had "a thing" about owning something I 1) didn't pay for myself or 2) didn't earn. Too many bad things can come of it.
                Flashback to that dang tiki doll on the Brady Bunch?

Comment

Originally posted by justletmein View Post
                  I found an A&M class ring on the gym locker room floor around midnight right before closing. I was the only one in the gym and the last one out usually so owner was obviously not there. I told the front desk and left a note with my contact info on it up there in case somebody asked them if it was found. About a week later I got a call from a guy who said he lost his class ring and setup to meet him either at the gym or at my work building across the street. He showed up and acted like I stole his ring, all huffy and such, never said thanks.

What a ****! I’d have prob run my mouth after that….

Comment

Originally posted by Smart View Post
                    What a ****! I’d have prob run my mouth after that….
                    Does filter really catch “Aggie” now? 😂

Comment

Originally posted by RiverRat1 View Post
                      Give your opinion on what situations can be considered finders keepers versus plain stealing.

If you see a person walking 5 feet in front of you drop a $10 bill. What if they are 50' in front of you and it requires too much effort to catch up to them? Is keeping the money stealing?
                      Yes, it is Theft.

If you honestly don't see who dropped the money it's not stealing, or is it?
                      Found property.

Is there a line on what items you should never keep? Obviously the law would say if you keep something registered such as a car it would be theft. Is it a monetary amount line in the sand?
                      If you don’t know who it belongs to, keep it. Would you throw it in the trash?

Of course a person could give it to charity or pay it forward.

Comment

Originally posted by RR 314 View Post
                        Flashback to that dang tiki doll on the Brady Bunch?

Hah! I remember that episode!

I also remember BEGGING my mother for a bikini just like the one Marcia wore. She told me it was entirely too scandalous to wear in public!

My, how times have changed.

Comment

Originally posted by Hammerdown View Post
                          I would first go live on Facebook and then pick up the money and run it back to the person who dropped. Then I would collect all my heart and like emojis and everyone would love me.
                          At least your priorities are in order! [emoji3]

Sent from my SM-N970U using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by ThisLadyHunts View Post
                            Hah! I remember that episode!

I also remember BEGGING my mother for a bikini just like the one Marcia wore. She told me it was entirely too scandalous to wear in public!

My, how times have changed.
                            Great...now y'all are forcing me to hit up the google images for Marcia's bikini pics. I'm too old for this crap!

Comment

I found a gift bag full of James Avery Silver jewelry in the middle of the street as a teen while riding my bike. Brought it to my parents and went through it. There was enough engraving on the jewelry to track down the owner. Just 1 street over from us. After we contacted them they came over and accused me of breaking into their home and stealing it, and called the police. It turned into a big mess. Ended up wishing i had never picked it up and returned it. Found a few nice things since that i have just let lay.

Comment

I have not read the whole thread but an increasingly common thing I have read and heard about is for people to leave tainted bills laying out in obvious places while they observe their target person pick it up. Sometimes the bill is tainted with fecal matter and they film the greedy target picking it up and post it on social media for a laugh. Sometimes their intentions are much more sinister and the bill is laced with a drug that is designed to incapacitate the target for much more evil reasons…
                                Last edited by hero_moneybags; 12-07-2022, 11:06 PM. Reason: Spelling

Comment

Working...
                                X