Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

“You must break in your barrel!” Really?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

[ame="http://m.youtube.com/watch?v=WJzgmFgylSw"]Barrel break in. How to decide if you need to do it. - YouTube[/ame]

Comment

I don't really believe in breakin for shooting better, but dang sure believe in it for cleaning better. If you have a burr in the barrel and shoot 20-40 rounds before cleaning, it is going to take a LOOOONG time to get all that copper out.

Comment

Pretty sure those cut rifled Brux barrels are already glassy slick thru the entire bore being hand lapped to micro finish before they ever leave the factory.

Mass produced box store rifle barrels that are hammer forged or button rifled and never lapped before they leave the factory are a whole different animal. The more you shoot a store bought gun the better they get(usually) because every shot is actually doing a tiny amount of fire lapping and over time the lumps and bumps down the bore are smoothing out and multiple cleanings to remover copper fouling is also doing some micro lapping. That's why sometimes you see a gun start to "come around" after a couple of hundred shots. I also believe that some guns that shoot better dirty is because the copper fouling is filling in those low spots and chatter marks from the button mandrel and thereby making the bore smoother. High end bore scope will show you a lot of stuff you never knew about and will leave you scratching your head about how the gun even shoots sub MOA. Only takes one good look down one of them cheap ugly old Savage barrels and you wonder how is it possible. After all them old Savage barrels are hand straightened by eyeball on a manual press and by a 3rd generation employee whose father and grandfather did that job before him. https://www.facebook.com/watch/?v=1837719936336570 But why are they shooter? Why does Savage recommend breaking them in?

Comment

Well. if you are doing precision, long-range shooting it may be a worthwhile investment. If you follow some directions you will shoot over 100 rounds, which, at store bought, or even reloaded prices is a pretty significant investment. And for what?
          I paid less than $300 for a rifle last year, before I ever heard about barrel break in. I shot many groups, but one 5 shot group at 100 was .358" and one 3 shot group at 200 yds was .403".
          I also got a RAP this year that will consistently shoot 1/2 to 3/4 moa groups all day long without the break in procedure. That is plenty good enough for me.

Comment

FWIW, recently bought a Christianson 300PRC. Recommended break in was 50 shots. I performed the recommended sequenceand had no color on the swabs through 20 shots. NONE! I will add that it didn't really start shooting right until I stopped cleaning and ran another 15 shots through the barrel and got it dirty.

Comment

Originally posted by muzzlebrake View Post
              Pretty sure those cut rifled Brux barrels are already glassy slick thru the entire bore being hand lapped to micro finish before they ever leave the factory.

straightened by eyeball on a https://www.facebook.com/watch/?v=1837719936336570 But why are they shooter? Why does Savage recommend breaking them in?
              Not suggesting he has the final word on anything. I just think it's a funny vid.

Comment

Originally posted by kmitchl View Post
                Seems there are two camps on barrel break in. Must do and never do.
                I don't do it and in general I don't personally recommend break in to someone unless they have experience and the proper brushes / bore guides.

I believe the average rifle owner will do more damage to the barrel (throat and crown) by putting the brush through it 5-10 times than any amount of shooting will.

Comment

Op, Good shooting. Just had to drop in Mr. Cortina huh? Eric flat knows his stuff! Plus he test's everything like 5 times. I watch his youtube channel religiously.

Comment

I break my barrels in with a fresh target and lots of ammo, I believed in that years and years ago and I never saw a single difference so I stopped doing it. I do clean them pretty often but I always send a single round down the tube to foul it before going hunting with them. Some guys swear by breaking them in and others not so much, me not so much.

Comment

This needs bumped

Suck on that Christensen

Comment

Originally posted by BigOh! View Post
                        Never done it.. "They" say lots of things
                        .dang nice shooting
                        “They said” and “I heard” are the two biggest liars ever !

Comment

Originally posted by trophy8 View Post
                          I’ve never believed in a barrel break in. I’ve done it to a few. I took out a rifle I put together a month of two ago.

Impact 737 action
                          Foundation MG2 dark distressed
                          Proof prefit comp contour 26” 1/7.5 6mm creed
                          Trigger tech diamond set at 8 ounces
                          Atlas BT46 with RRS arca adapter
                          Foundation full length Arca rail
                          Hawkins M5 DBM
                          Hawkins heavy tactical rings
                          Leupold mk5 5-25x56 PR2 mil

So you think a barrel needs broke in to shoot well? I decided to just seeeeeeeend it today. No shoot and clean. Just straight up sight it in then run heavy strings of fire.

Factory Berger 105s.

Here’s the rifle. Then here’s an 11 shot group as fast as I could load em and shoot at 100.

[ATTACH]1066371[/ATTACH]

[ATTACH]1066372[/ATTACH]
                          11 shots as fast as you could? That looks like eagles peak and per rule number #11 no rapid fire! 🤓

Comment

An 8 ounce trigger on a hunting rig? It’s a shooter for sure!

Comment

In my experience I have never had rifles perform better than when it's dirty. I have also painstakingly broke in all but two of my bolt rifles.

Comment

Originally posted by billfromtx View Post
                                An 8 ounce trigger on a hunting rig? It’s a shooter for sure!
                                That’s not a hunting rifle lol. 20+ lbs

Comment

Working...
                                X